The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accardo blows a save opportunity and the Jays lose a very close game to the Yankees.

He's not a closing pitcher, and the sooner the Jays realize that, the better. He doesn't perform well under pressure, and would be much better suited as a set up man in a 2 or 3 run game for someone else.

Downs, while also not a closing pitcher, performs much better under pressure, and in a one run ballgame, should very well have pitched the 9th inning after shutting down New York in the 8th.

The Phillies lost their 10,000th game the other night, being beaten by the Cards, and became the first pro sports team to ever lose that many games.

What no one has mentioned is, that even though they probably won't be the first team to do so, the Cubs only need about 52 or 53 wins to reach 10,000 wins. Found that out on the Paul Harvey Show, believe it or not.

Accardo blows a save opportunity and the Jays lose a very close game to the Yankees.

He's not a closing pitcher, and the sooner the Jays realize that, the better. He doesn't perform well under pressure, and would be much better suited as a set up man in a 2 or 3 run game for someone else.

Downs, while also not a closing pitcher, performs much better under pressure, and in a one run ballgame, should very well have pitched the 9th inning after shutting down New York in the 8th.

What happened to Ryan, by the way?

I think that a guy like Scott Downs would be better suited to the closer's role. He's shown the ability to perform under pressure more than Accardo has.

Hell, you've got a guy like Brandon League, who I'd never heard of until he threw a hell of an inning yesterday. Maybe it's time for them to switch things up a bit.

B.J. Ryan went down with elbow trouble early in the season. Ever since then its been closer by committee with Accardo getting the majority of the chances. He's been decent recently but fell victim to the same thing that got Armando Benitez run out of San Francisco with the late game balk.

It seems more and more these days runners in the late innings are using more and more movement and bluffed steals to draw balks on closers. Jose Reyes did it twice to Benitez and Jorge Julio's exit from Florida was expedited by a costly balk.

As for Brandon League, he's parts of four seasons with the Jays with mixed results. He was miserable in '05 with a 6.56 ERA in 20 games with a 20 to 17 BB to K ratio and giving up 8 home runs. Last year though he did well in the 7th inning late in the season posting a 2.53 ERA and 1.01 WHIP in 33 games striking out 29 while giving up only 9 walks.

The Yankees are back on track and I am incredibly excited. Here we come Boston.

In more serious news, R.I.P. Rod Beck. I didn't know that he had died until I came into this thread. I used to love watching him pitch back in the late 90's, early 2000's. I send my prayers out to his family.

Even thought the Indians have been having some trouble beating the Red Sox I hope the teams meet in the Playoffs because the last two games were pretty awesome and most of the games between one another have been close. That being said not even I thought Carmona was going to turn out as good as he has so far this year and with C.C. going before Carmona lately that has been almost guarenteeing two wins.

The Jays spanked the Twins today, sweeping the series and showing that we're serious about making a run of things. The AL East is always a very exciting division to watch.

I hate the Yankees, not because of the team, but because of the fact that they try to buy world series wins. The Rangers do that a lot in hockey... they fail a lot too.

I get so sick of hearing this. The whole point of playing the game is to try and win the World Series, and regardless of what people want to say, every team has the ability to pay players. I'm not saying Pittsburgh can havea 200 million dollar payroll, but they can go a lot higher than they do now and compete. Most owners simply want to run it like a business and get a maximum profit from the team. Steinbrenner wants rings and he'll try and do that by having Cashman bring in some of the top free agent talent out there.

The problem with the Yankees is that they get too wrapped up in the names and trying to take players away from Boston then focusing on what will work out best for their team. That is what hurts them. But I get so sick of people say they try to buy World Series rings.