The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

The Yankees have the potential to make some altering changes in the off-season without rebuilding.

I tallied up a ball park figure of what they could have remaining of their payroll after the season. 134.4 million dollars. This includes A-Rod, Torre, Giambi, Clemens, Pettite, etc. Safe to say that Torre and Clemens are done, imo. ARod will opt out and negotiate with others including NYY. Pettite and others are wildcards. Giambi's contract isn't up until 2008, but there have been rumors ever since the trial that they could try and buy him out or they'll look to something, but it's still only 15 of the 134...only.

ARod will get around 32-35 per year, which is only 5-8 more than he is getting right now and he'll get a 5 year deal where he'll probably be around the record by then, so I'd think they should resign him for that. I'd put good money on them gett Joe G. to take Torre's spot for less. Then you look around at potential signings. Zambrano is out there at around 17-20 million per year, among a host of others.

However, Cashman is far from a genius. :shifty:

Edited by ACCBiggz

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that the purpose for the teams is to do whatever it takes to win championships, I just feel that as previously stated, when you spend far and away more than any other team does or feisably(sp?) can, it's somewhat annoying. It's like if you were an 18 year old playing in a 14 year old league.

I understand that the purpose for the teams is to do whatever it takes to win championships, I just feel that as previously stated, when you spend far and away more than any other team does or feisably(sp?) can, it's somewhat annoying. It's like if you were an 18 year old playing in a 14 year old league.

They treat this the same as they did #70 and Mark's #63. They break in to show every at bat to let everyone see potential history in the making. For some reason unlike #70 they can't show it until after it's happened, during #70 they would cut in live.

And Yes! Finally! Teixeria is a Brave!

Wow are teams in the NL East loading up for the stretch run, Atlanta especially. Getting Teixeira will be a huge boost to Atlanta's offense as they've gotten nothing from the 1B position all season. Now they are in talks to get set-up help in Octavio Dotel for Kyle Davies who in all reality is the odd man out in their rotation to begin with. The Mets finally found a steady second basemen and another guy to create havoc at the top of lineup with Jose Reyes, Luis Castillo. The Phillies needed a back-end starter and they got such in Kyle Lohse from Cincinnati. It will be interesting to see if these three teams make more moves leading up to the deadline tomorrow afternoon. If both New York and Philly added another bullpen arm it would make this race even more intriguing than it already is.

In another note, the Dodgers need to get a fourth/fifth starter because if I have to see Brett Tomko make another start then I am going to punt my chair through my TV or computer screen, whichever I am watching the game at the time.

Wow are teams in the NL East loading up for the stretch run, Atlanta especially. Getting Teixeira will be a huge boost to Atlanta's offense as they've gotten nothing from the 1B position all season. Now they are in talks to get set-up help in Octavio Dotel for Kyle Davies who in all reality is the odd man out in their rotation to begin with. The Mets finally found a steady second basemen and another guy to create havoc at the top of lineup with Jose Reyes, Luis Castillo. The Phillies needed a back-end starter and they got such in Kyle Lohse from Cincinnati. It will be interesting to see if these three teams make more moves leading up to the deadline tomorrow afternoon. If both New York and Philly added another bullpen arm it would make this race even more intriguing than it already is.

The night of possible history has gone by the wayside. Glavine's pen pisses away win 300. Bonds goes 0-for-2 with 2 walks and amidst a 8 homer barrage against the ChiSox A-Rod throws up a hefty 0-for-5. At least the trade deadline was mildly impactful today.

I like the Proctor for Betemit trade because the Dodgers can always use another arm in the pen and Betemit was seeing only part time work since Nomar shifted across the diamond to 3rd. The funny thing I kept hearing analysts saying about this deal was "It provides insurance just in case A-Rod opts out." A deadline deal for Wilson Betemit is going to make up for potentially losing one of the top players of our generation...hardly. This is why Steve Phillips should not be on TV.

Well it does. Betemit is a good young player who I wish was still in Atlanta and if A-Rod opts out, which he will but may re-sign, what other 3B could fill that role? There may be some free agents who would want more money and not offer any of the benefits of Wilson. You are not going to replace A-Rod, agreed, but if he opts out it isn't like that is the Yankees decision, so yes it is insurance because you aren't going to replace A-Rod with anyone and Betemit is probably the best bang for the buck.

Eric Gagne goes to Boston for nothing really special. Gabbard only stepped it up in the last month or two filling in for Schilling. Murphy is an alright outfielder prospect, but isn't going to make the Boston lineup ... especially with guys like Ellsbury favored in front of him.

So as long as Gagne isn't injured, life is good.

Texas wanted two of New York's top prospects that they are not getting rid of, that deal was dead the moment they told Cashman what they wanted. The Brewers looked into Gagne but the talks didn't go far there either. Boston was really one of the only clubs that had what they wanted and were willing to give it up.

Texas wanted two of New York's top prospects that they are not getting rid of, that deal was dead the moment they told Cashman what they wanted. The Brewers looked into Gagne but the talks didn't go far there either. Boston was really one of the only clubs that had what they wanted and were willing to give it up.

I just want to know the next challenge the Yankees actually have. How many times are they going to play Chicago and Kansas City and Tampa and put up 10 runs?

Clemens only threw 39 pitches. Fucking pussy. Let him do his 100 pitch normal routine. I mean, Yanks put up 8 in the bottom of the frame anyway. Actually, n/m, I want their bullpen to collapse.