The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

Game of Shawdows, read it.

Yellow Journalism.

Yeah, all that flimsy "grand jury testimony."

The people who say "cheating is cheating".....what do you say to the fact that there are people who've admitted to cheating currently in the HOF?
Edited by sahyder1

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game of Shawdows, read it.

Yellow Journalism.

Yeah, all that flimsy "grand jury testimony."

The people who say "cheating is cheating".....what do you say to the fact that there are people who've admitted to cheating currently in the HOF?
Nobody is saying that Bonds doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame

679 career IBBs....that includes a whopping 120 in 2004. If you combine the 2nd and 3rd place guys on the list that #(553) combined is still less then Bonds'.

In that 2004 even with 120 IBBs and 232 total walks he still hit 45 HRs. That is just plain crazy. It's not like Bonds just is Brady Anderson or Luis Gonzalez where they had one year spikes and never heard from again. The man has 8 seasons of over 40 HRs.

A detailed look at all of Bonds HRs.....credit to baseball reference.com. Check this link.

Edited by sahyder1

Bonds had 679 IBB going into tonight's game, which is a little bit more than a season's worth of plate apperances. His 2,540 walks going into today is about 4 seasons worth of AB's. Since the end of the '99 season (I'm including tonight's game) he's hit 312 HRs in 2800 ABs. That's a homer ever 8.97 AB, or in other words if you assume a 600 AB season, that would be good for about 67 HR a year. Juiced up or not that's still ridiculous.

Bonds had 679 IBB going into tonight's game, which is a little bit more than a season's worth of plate apperances. His 2,540 walks going into today is about 4 seasons worth of AB's. Since the end of the '99 season (I'm including tonight's game) he's hit 312 HRs in 2800 ABs. That's a homer ever 8.97 AB, or in other words if you assume a 600 AB season, that would be good for about 67 HR a year. Juiced up or not that's still ridiculous.
Edited by sahyder1

The thing about Ruth is, you could use him as a position player or a pitcher.....or both. Hell, if you're worried about his fielding, just make him the DH.

My team:

C: Johnny Bench

1B: Lou Gehrig

2B: Rogers Hornsby

3B: Mike Schmidt

SS: Ozzie Smith

OF: Ted Williams

OF: (CF is a tough call because there are too damn many good choices: Cobb, Mays, Mantle, DiMaggio....) Willie Mays

OF: Babe Ruth if there's no DH. Frank Robinson if there is, with Ruth at DH.

SP: Walter Johnson

SP: Mordecai "3 Finger" Brown

SP: Grover Cleveland Alexander

SP: Sandy Koufax

SP: Nolan Ryan

LR: Roger Clemens

MR: Satchel Paige

SU: Dennis Eckersley

Closer: Rollie Fingers

(Eck and Fingers would work at either Setup or Closer, but Fingers had a losing record as a starter, so.....)

CF was my toughest to pick from due to all the good choices at that position. My C and 2nd basemen were locks from the beginning - Bench is my all-time favorite catcher, and how can you look at Hornsby's stats (he hit .400 or over 3 times in his career, including .424 in 1924, which is the NL record, and won 7 batting titles, including 6 in a row, and won the Triple Crown.....twice) and not at least consider him? Had a damn tough time leaving Tom Seaver and Curt Schilling off my pitching staff.

Edited by GhostMachine

C: Carlton Fisk

1B: Pete Rose

3B: George Brett

SS: Alex Rodriguez

OF: Willie Mays

OF: Hank Aaron

DH: Babe Ruth

SP: Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax, Cy Young, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux

MR/CL: Dennis Eckersley, Trevor Hoffman, Mariano Rivera, John Smoltz

Did you forget that Babe Ruth ever played baseball?

Compared to the others he doesn't make my list. He isn't even on the bench. Nor the rotation. Bonds, Mays, and Griffey can all do it all. Power, Contact, Defense, and Base Running. They can hit that much needed HR, or they could steal a base to get in scoring position and manufacture a run. And on the bench you have some of the guys MSC mentioned and Ted Williams not to mention probably my #2 guy on the bench behind Ted, Hank Aaron. I just think as far as complete players I'd have Bonds, Mays, and Griffey out there.

As far as pitching goes, yes his numbers are good just like batting, but over time pitching got better and better and I'm looking at big game pitching as well which is why I put Bob Gibson on there. He is one of my favorite all-time pitchers. And I've expressed my opinions on Babe Ruth in the past and not going to go in to it.

I would say that on both lists Koufax should be higher up. He had a short career, but look how dominating he was.

Did you forget that Babe Ruth ever played baseball?

Compared to the others he doesn't make my list. He isn't even on the bench. Nor the rotation. Bonds, Mays, and Griffey can all do it all. Power, Contact, Defense, and Base Running. They can hit that much needed HR, or they could steal a base to get in scoring position and manufacture a run. And on the bench you have some of the guys MSC mentioned and Ted Williams not to mention probably my #2 guy on the bench behind Ted, Hank Aaron. I just think as far as complete players I'd have Bonds, Mays, and Griffey out there.

As far as pitching goes, yes his numbers are good just like batting, but over time pitching got better and better and I'm looking at big game pitching as well which is why I put Bob Gibson on there. He is one of my favorite all-time pitchers. And I've expressed my opinions on Babe Ruth in the past and not going to go in to it.

I would say that on both lists Koufax should be higher up. He had a short career, but look how dominating he was.

Well main reason I put him as my long reliever was because his career was short. His rookie year he had a 3.02 ERA but it didn't drop below 3.52 until 1961 (three years over 4 and some high 3's mixed in) when he had his dominating stretch. From 62-66 he was amazing. If I were to put him over someone it would be Maddux, but I think coming out of the bullpen you should have big arms and Maddux isn't that huge arm guy. I'd rather Koufax come out in that spot.

C: Johnny Bench

1B: Lou Gehrig

3B: Mike Schmidt

SS: Alex Rodriguez

OF: Willie Mays

OF: Babe Ruth

SP: Walter Johnson

SP: Lefty Grove

SP: Bob Gibson

SP: Sandy Koufax