The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Way to go Clay Buchholz. Welcome to Boston kid, we already love ya. wwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooo

Pawtucket yesterday, pwning Baltimore today.

Edited by Lowerdeck

I really want the Jays to win tonight, good god I would love to see the Jays pull a NY Islanders and make the strong push at the end of the season, even if they don't make the wild card if they finish just under the Yankees in the wild card at least it shows that the team showed up (if only that happened in about 50 more games this year).

I was playing some Baseball Mogul 08 recently and I've got a game that was started in 1950, now I'm in the 1965 off season. Robin Roberts has been my staff ace since '51, he won the Cy Young for 14 consecutive years between 1951-1964, he's been either the MLB or NL win leader for 15 consecutive years between 1951-1965. He was strikeout king from 1952-58 and the 1961-1962 seasons. And he's a 4 time triple crown winner 1952-1954 and 1957. On a Phillies team that has missed the post season 11 of 16 times since I started playing he's amassed a 404-196 record with a 2.98 ERA, 3411 strikeouts, 297 complete games and 67 shutouts.

The reason I mention this is because the game of baseball in my opinion needs more dominant pitching. Granted, the numbers put up in a video game can hardly be replicated or expected, but I really hate the fact that baseball games are now won on the bullpen and home run. Now, solid baseball strategy of make contact and get on base still stands as hitting is contagious but if I recall correctly last season there wasn't a single 20 game winner.

I would love to see a move to a 4 man rotation with far less emphasis on the bullpen. If pitching were far more dominant I think it would make for a better game. Now, not to the point where there's less than 5 runs combined scored per game, but seeing 20-25+ game winners and high strikeout totals would be great to see.

So...John Gibbons effectively blows a win streak by putting in an inexperienced pitcher when his team was already down... the Jays mount a comeback, but even an 8 run inning wasn't enough to undo the damage.

When you're 5.5 games out of the Wildcard, you do NOT start experimenting with your roster.

With the Yankees loss, they could have been 4 and a half back... but stupid decisions on the part of John Gibbons put a kabosh on that.

I was at the Sox/Jays game last night. That 6th inning comeback was NOT fun to sit through. Thomas and Stairs were giving us nightmares to begin with, then we in the stands (except for the handful of (vocal) douchebags in Jays regalia) started fearing losing the lead any time we started falling behind on counts or gave up base hits.

To be fair... both sides had rather oddball moves in this game. Gibbons... well, you all can figure those out. On our side, we had Francona leave Lopez in a batter or two too long. Then Manny Delcarmen for some reason was brought in before Mike Timlin, who many feel should just stick to mopup work instead of trying to protect 3 run leads. And um... Matsuzaka having this one blowup inning every game is really really frustrating.

But in the end, all is well. 7 game lead. The Yanks have to be all but done in the division by now.