Coastal Zone Combat Wrestling

Xero Gravity

CZCW.jpg

Coastal Zone Combat Wrestling: Taking On The World

Tommy Cornell, Runaway Train, Jack Bruce, Christian Faith.

...just four names that even the most casual of wrestling fan will know instantly...

Supreme Wrestling Federation, Total Championship Wrestling.

...two of the biggest wrestling promotions in the world...

Coastal Zone Championship Wrestling.

...who?

Chances are, that unless you live in the South West of the United States the initials CZCW don't mean squat to you. Even then, you just might be aware of it's existence. A tiny blip on the wrestling map, CZCW is the very definition of "The Little Engine that Could". Despite not being the flashiest or the richest promotion in the US, Coastal Zone is still tipped to be one to watch out for in the future. With a core roster of talent including Plague, Remmy Skye, and Frankie Perez, the sky is the limit on what the company can achieve.

All they were lacking, was a leader...and that's where I come in.

Wrestling is my life, for as long as I can remember it's always been there. Growing up, my family was heavily involved in wrestling, and I idolised guys like Sam Strong and Rip Chord. To me it didn't get much better than that, and it was always clear as to what I was going to to do with my life. By the time I was twenty three, the passion was as strong as ever, and I easily got a place into the SWF Training Camp. Six months later, I graduated top of the class with a bright future ahead of me.

But apparently, it just wasn't meant to be.

I spent a lot of time with Eric Eisen during my time in the training camp, we were inseperable. On the days I wasn't training, we'd go out and party. Thanks to the Eisen name, it was easy for us to get into any club we wanted to. We always made sure one of us was sober enough to drive home when the night was over, but it only took one mistake. My graduation was the perfect reason to go out and celebrate, and I wasn't intending on being the designated driver...but neither was Eric. In no fit state to drive, I stupidly got behind the wheel...and well, you can guess what happened next. I was surprised I got so far without having an accident, especially seeing as I couldn't focus on the road for more than a few seconds. It took one blink for the oncoming car to appear out of nowhere, and then everything went quiet.

Luckily nobody died in the accident, my wrestling career however was DOA.

I spent months in hospital with two broken legs, Eric however was unharmed. He tried his best to calm down Richard, but to no avail. I was effectively blackballed from SWF on the spot for not only putting Eric in danger, but also forcing the writing team to scrap my first storyline. I was out of a job with two busted legs, and Eric was told if he ever came near me again he'd be disowned too. It came as no surprise to me when I didn't hear from him again. I left hospital shortly after, and sank into a depression of alcohol and pills. Life without wrestling wasn't one that I wanted to drag myself through. To the rest of the world, I was as good as dead...and I didn't care at all.

But somehow, someone managed to find me.

I'd heard of Cliff Anderson before, thanks to his well travelled independent career. I didn't however, know that he'd started up his own promotion. It was a matter that was soon rectified with a phone call, and an out of the blue offer. Why he wanted me, I didn't know. So it was the curiosity alone that caused me to pick myself up and travel down to meet him. The pokey surroundings of CZCW was a far cry from the heady heights I was looking at prior to my debut with SWF. Cliff talked to me for over an hour about how CZCW had been going now for fifteen year, and still hadn't made a great deal of progress. The fan base was there, but it needed the spark that would launch it further. He knew I couldn't work anymore thanks to my legs, but offered me the chance to help him backstage. My six months backstage with SWF seemed to be all that I needed to qualify. I had spent a lot of time hanging out with Eric at SWF shows, and had taken a shine to the booking process. Sure I never had any hands on experience, but I'd seen how the best worked. Everyone has to start somewhere, so why not give CZCW a shot?

A few days later, it was official. Cliff introduced me to the roster, and I dove head first into the task of trying to bring Coastal Zone out of the South West, and into the mainstream.

Edited by Xero Gravity

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I agreed to take the job, I didn’t really know what I was letting myself in for. It quickly hit me like running head first into a brick wall. For a promotion tipped for big things in the future, the roster was pretty bare. Not only that, but so was the amount of money available. A barely workable budget of only $25,000 laughed in my face. With several workers demanding around $1,000 an appearance, it was clear that changes would have to be made…and quick. I sat with Cliff, and talked about exactly what my job entailed. The booking came up first and foremost, which I expected. He also gave me the responsibility of hiring and firing talent. On the one hand it was a good thing, as it let me fix the problems. On the other, telling some of these guys they were fired wasn’t something my bad legs were looking forward to.

Still, it had to be done. First on the list, was the former TCW duo of Jimmy P and Donnie J. While they were both decent wrestlers, their combined price tag wasn’t going to do our budget any favours. Surprisingly, they took the news well as they felt with their TCW experience they could get a more high profile job somewhere else. The other man on the list, E.M.M Moe, was another decent worker but little more than a go to guy in putting others over. He was a little less accepting of his new found unemployment, but thankfully didn’t resort to violence of any kind.

A day or so later, I handed over a list of people I wanted Anderson to get in touch with about coming in for some shows. After one look over it, his exact words were ‘Are you fuckin’ crazy?!” Apparently he didn’t understand the idea of firing three people, then going out to bring in over triple that. While CZCW had talent on the roster, they really lacked a group that were well recognised in the wrestling world. It took some convincing, but I eventually won Cliff around by satiating his desire to see the company expand beyond the California coast. The top four names on the list, were intended to transform the non-existent main event scene. Cobbled together from free agency and various indy promotions, we were able to arrange deals with Puerto Rican Power, Brent Hill, Darryl Devine, and the cult favourite Hell Monkey. I fully expected one, or even all of them, to be signed away at any given time, but until then I fully intended to take advantage of their popularity.

Once the contracts were finalised, I turned to the under card. The roster was filled with guys that were talented in one or two areas, but there were very few who could work with anyone at any given time. It was with that in mind that I brought in Jack Giedroyc, his cousin Joey Poison, Erik Strong, youngster Sammy The Shark, and veteran Stuart Ferdinand. Dropping three guys to bring in nine was starting to look crazy even to me, but I reassured myself that this was merely to provide a little variety on the shows. Cliff once again voiced his disapproval, but all it took was another ego stroking to get him off my back. It couldn't have come at a better time, because I wasn't quite done yet. With the competitive roster sorted, I still had to fill out the other areas. With no managers at all, the less charismatic workers were really going to suffer. Luckily, there were a few talented corner men (and women) floating around the smaller independents that readily accepted another pay day. Herb Stately and Honest Frank came in from NYCW, both experienced at being the mouthpiece of a heel, while Jenny Playmate was just happy to be finally working again after being dropped by CGC.

My last job was to secure a building for us to run shows in. Luckily, there was a small place called The Simmons Center not too far away from my new apartment. Because of it’s small size, it regularly ran wrestling shows for companies passing through the area. For someone with as little experience as me, I was quickly finding my feet as the days passed. With a show set to run only a few weeks later, everything seemed to settle down…at least for a day or two. In what was supposed to be one of my few days off, Cliff called me into his office and I knew it wasn’t going to be a good talk. It was as though he set out to throw everything at me to see if I could survive without sinking. After sorting a lot of things out with CZCW, he presented me with three goals. Increase the promotions standing in the wrestling world, ensure our image didn’t get any lower than it already was, and bring in as much money as I could without going below our initial $25,000. It seemed like a tough task considering my recent actions, but thankfully I was given just under a year in which to do it. Even for someone like me, these were doable…right?

Makes me wish I had either TEW.

I like the backstory, even if your former wrestler turned booker bit seemed a little young. I was thinking you might have given yourself a bit more of a career, or at least some backstage work at another company.

Still, from what little I know of TEW you signed some decent talent, and Puerto Rican Power is money in waiting. ALso love Joey Poison, and you clearly need to work out an agreement with some Canadian companies to bring in those guys. I'll be reading, that's for sure.

Is this 2005 or 2007?

You have Donnie as Champion, and have owner goals, which suggests 2007.

But you called it Coastal Zone Combat Wrestling, only have $25k and have signed Brent Hill, Giedroyc and E.M.M. Moe, which points the finger at 2005.

THE CONFUSION BURNS MY BRAIN! :shifty:

On a more serious note.. woo, go Cornellverse diaries, whenever they happen to be based.

Is this 2005 or 2007?

You have Donnie as Champion, and have owner goals, which suggests 2007.

But you called it Coastal Zone Combat Wrestling, only have $25k and have signed Brent Hill, Giedroyc and E.M.M. Moe, which points the finger at 2005.

Edited by Xero Gravity

CZCW Hall Of Records

Champions

HellMonkey.jpg

Hell Monkey (1st Reign, December 2005 - ??????)

CZCW Heavyweight Champion

Past 5 Champions

1) Vacant

2) Snap Dragon (November 2005 - December 2005)

3) Fox Mask (February 2005 - November 2005)

4) Insane Machine (November 2004 - February 2005)

5) Primal Rage (July 2004 - November 2004)

BlackEagle.jpg

Plague (1st Reign, October 2005 - ??????)

CZCW Xtreme Champion

Past 5 Champions

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

JoeGilbert.jpgJesseGilbert.jpg

The Gilberts (2nd Reign, November 2005 - ??????)

CZCW Tag Team Champions

Past 5 Champions

1) The Nightmares (August 2005 - November 2005)

2) The Gilbert Brothers (May 2005 - August 2005)

3)

4)

5)

End Of Year Awards

CZCW MVP

2006: TBA

2005: N/A

CZCW Match Of The Year

CZCW Show Of The Year

CZCW Wrestler Of The Year

CZCW Babyface Of The Year

CZCW Heel Of The Year

CZCW Tag Team Of The Year

CZCW Feud Of The Year

CZCW Interview Of The Year

CZCW Most Memorable Moment Of The Year

CZCW Breakout Star Of The Year

CZCW Hall Of Fame

Edited by Xero Gravity

I was sitting in my office looking over the card for Christmas Chaos, all but ready to get it made official. Something inside me hesitated for a moment, but I couldn’t figure out why. The knock on my door a few moments later, would provide an answer.

Me: Come in…

The door opened, and in walked Jenny Playmate, Honest Frank, and our heavyweight champion. My stomach twisted uncomfortably as I dropped the card face down on my desk.

Me: What can I do for you three?

I didn’t need to ask, their faces said it all. Each one went to hand me a folded up collection of papers, but I just sighed.

Me: So when are you leaving?

Jenny: Straight away…

Frank: …me too…

Dragon: Not until the end of the week.

Frank and Jenny I wasn’t overly upset about. Neither had debuted yet, so it wouldn’t cause any problems to see them go. But Snap Dragon…

Me: Can’t you at least hold off until after Christmas Chaos?

Dragon: I tried to get them to let me stay, but Eisen was pretty insistent.

It didn’t surprise me to be honest. He probably caught wind of my new job, and decided to fuck with me just because he could

Me: I understand, a chance like this doesn’t come along every day. Make the most of it, okay?

He nodded, placing the title on the edge of my desk before following Jenny and Frank out of the office. I sat there in silence for a moment, soaking up what would only be the first in a long line of obstacles thrown in my path. I had to resist the back down and admit defeat, as the card was now useless and would need to be overhauled.

------------------

It took an extra day, and another lecture from Cliff but the new card was finished with a few weeks to spare. I sat down and poured myself a drink to celebrate, until my office door opened and Stuart Ferdinand hobbled in on a pair of crutches.

Me: Jesus, what the hell happened to you?

Stuart: It’s my hamstring. I was working out with some of the guys earlier today, and I pulled the damn thing. The doctor says I've got to take it easy for at least a week, so I should be fine again for the show.

I’d have preferred my drink to still be a celebratory one, but I downed it knowing that it was one of relief. Echoing the doctors, I told him to take it easy and stay at home until show time.

If these problems kept springing up like this, it was going to be a long two weeks…

Coastal Zone Ccombat Wrestling Presents

CHRISTMAS CHAOS

Sunday, Week 4, December 2005.

Live From The Simmons Center

PuertoRicanPower.jpg vs. HellMonkey.jpg vs. FoxMask.jpg

Main Event

Triple Threat Match For The Vacant CZCW Heavyweight Title

Puerto Rican Power Vs. Hell Monkey Vs. Fox Mask

BrentHill.jpg vs. DarrylDevine.jpg

'The Complete Package' Brent Hill Vs. 'Mighty Fine' Darryl Devine

BlackEagle.jpg vs. RemmySkye.jpg

CZCW Xtreme Title Match

Plague© Vs. 'Psyche Out' Remmy Skye

PrimalRage.jpgInsaneMachine.jpg vs. JackGiedroyc.jpgJoeyPoison.jpg

The Nightmares Vs. The Anglo-Canadian Connection

SammyTheShark.jpg vs. ErikStrong.jpg

Sammy The Shark Vs. "The Shooting Star" Erik Strong

As always, predictions are welcome, but seeing as it's only the first show there won't be a prize for the winner. I also apologise for what I feel has been pretty shoddy writing up until this point...it's proving to be a pain in the ass to get used to this again.

Edited by Xero Gravity

Main Event

- The big man just seems to have the look, and could make a solid dominant champion for you. Fox Mask could get the win too, but I would enjoy seeing PRP get the nod.

- Hill is clearly overdue for a push, and if he can go with so many styles I don't see why you wouldn't try to make hima star in CZCW. Devine has time to grow later too.

CZCW Xtreme Title Match

- Two title changes on one show? Certainly possible, but as cool as Remmy is I don't see him getting the win here. Oh, and he totally needs to feud/team with Joey Poison.

- Speaking of, I like the Nightmares team. They look to fit well together, although pairing the distant cousins is interesting as well. No real idea who will get the win, but I'll pick the Nightmares.

- I like the Con Man gimmick, and if Erik Strong gets any sort of push Be will never shut up about it. So either hire someone named Justin Howe, or job Strong out like crazy :shifty:

I liked the Snap Dragon bit, even if it does suck to lose him. It's still good that you can incorporate it into the backstory stuff. Honest Frank leaving blows though, I was looking forward to him.

Having never played any of the TEW games, I came into this imagining that this would be a diary about some sort of CZW-style promotion, however it would appear that my initial thought is rather misguided.

Anyway, the backstory is rather basic and played out, but these days pretty much every idea has been done so its not exactly a big deal. Particularly when your writing is strong enough to make it seem interesting despite knowing the story's predictable conclusion.

From what I can figure out early on, SWF are going to be the big bad guys in this diary and are the promotion you're looking to dethrone. Its good to have a reference point like that early on, particularly for me as I know nothing about this TEW world.

If I knew the stats of the people you'd hired compared to the ones you hired, I might have called you on playing the game for its stats instead of working with what you've been given. Adding nine people to the roster in one swoop is a bit of overkill in my opinion, particularly as it appears you only do one show a month. Hell Monkey sounds great just from the name. The goals are pretty cool as well, I take it they're inspired by the game?

I can't really comment on the roster or the first card as I don't really know any of the people involved, which I'm guessing may be one of the more harder things to deal with when writing a TEW world style diary.

Anyway, good luck and I shall undoubtedly be reading.

First off, glad to see you writing another diary again, Xero Grav.

Its very nice to see that Cornellverse diaries are coming back, especially seeing that I just started and am working for CZCW currently, the roster was pretty familiar to me. A lot of guys deserve pushes up the card, and with Snap Dragon gone, its pretty open game.

Some nice additions to the roster, Erik Strong is a great wrestler who deserves a push to the World Title at some point down the line, along with about 4 others on the roster. On to predictions thought!

Main Event

Probably your best choice to go with, as Fox Mask being one of the CZCW's main stays would keep the fans very happy, that, and he could have an awesome feud with Hell Monkey.

Devine is a great worker, who could really use a cheap win over here. Brent Hill is a great worker as well, but he ain't as young as he used to be if I remember correctly.

CZCW Xtreme Title Match

Plague is god, end of story. That and Remmy Skye really shouldn't be considered on to take the belt off of Plague, see first sentence for reason.

Probably my favorite tag team in CZCW, simply because they are freakin' crazy. Their gimmicks work well, and they work very well together as a team. The Nightmares for future tag champs and a stable with Plague :)

Strong is a lot better worker than Sammy in my opinion and deserves a small push to begin with. Should be a great match, but Strong should take the win.

Finally, a CorneIlverse diary by a great writer. I fucking loved, loved, loved the backstory. It was very well written and had me locked in from beginning to end. The storyline of being with Eisen was very well done, you kept it realistic and low key enough to not turn you into a mega-star overnight, but just enough to get you noticed by a small fed. My only gripe is that maybe you should change th company's name to Costal, as you seem to prefere to type that, as I mentioned to you last week. :P

Okay, so in my first TEW game, I remember vividly playing as CZCW for a long time, so I'm fairly familiar with your roster, although your second post does help to refresh my memory. It sucks that you fired E.M.M. Moe, I always used to like using him, but I'll get over it. I know the "finding my feet" line was probably not intended to be ironic, but it made me laugh considering your leg situation. I'm sure Be marked out when he read about Erik Strong being hired. Okay, I loved the second post too, puts a real perspective of where you're going with CZCW, which leads us to the first show:

Fox Mask over Puerto Rican Power & Hell Monkey

Brent Hill over Darryl Devine

Plague over Remmy Skye

The Nightmares over Angelo Canadian Connection

Erik Strong over Sammy The Shark

Keep it up man, and I'll be reading all the way. I've not been this hyped for a diary since LK's new ECW fell flat on it's face.

Oh, and fuck Snap Dragon for leaving.

The model for your Coastal Zone Champion looks like Vin Tanner ¬_¬ I hope to God that's not foreshadowing something :P

If I knew the stats of the people you'd hired compared to the ones you hired, I might have called you on playing the game for its stats instead of working with what you've been given. Adding nine people to the roster in one swoop is a bit of overkill in my opinion, particularly as it appears you only do one show a month. Hell Monkey sounds great just from the name. The goals are pretty cool as well, I take it they're inspired by the game?
Edited by Farmer Reil

Well damn, didn't even notice this was posted last night, and by the time I get here, there have been tons of comments. And you say you don't have a following..lol. Anyway, like NBT said, the backstory isn't exactly the most original, but because of the fact that it was well written, that fact can be forgotten and it can be embraced. What I find quite different is that the main character, you in this case, seems to lack the sarcasm that you usually give your characters. It's a surprise, but it actually works in this case as you're not running a "Backyard" fed. I haven't taken the time to read a lot on the Cornell Verse so I'm not familiar with a lot of these guys, but I look forward to seeing the characters that you build.

Main Event

It's unlikely Hell Monkey will stick around, because he's a damn fine worker, but you need to make the most of him and so he's my choice for champion.

Admittedly, Hill's a lot older than Devine, but Devine has plenty of time on side - Hill doesn't, and so if you're going to make a move with him, you do it now and beating Devine is a good way to kick it off.

CZCW Xtreme Title Match

While I don't like Plague, jobbing him and the title to Skye in the first show after this big shakedown wouldn't make any sense.

Woo Joey Poison is all I have to say here, woo Joey Poison. The man hasn't put a foot wrong for me, nor has Giedroyc, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be pushed while they've still got their skills.

GO ME.

I'm totally retarded about the Cornellverse, so all my comments will be based on your depictions of the wrestlers.

Sucks that the opening segment fell short, but I'm guessing that's a problem with overness and not skill. Then again, the match didn't sound very enthralling either.

I can't really say I'm too keen about the idea of video screens at a show drawing 300 people, but whatever. The Patriots look like a team with plenty of chemistry, but the entire segment just struck me as a string of missed comedic opportunities. I found himself thirsting for the big zinger that never came. Still, it got the point across.

Xtreme Champ Plague seemed to bring the heat, but again the match sort of fell short. I'm not sure I get the "Xtreme Title" concept, but at this point it appears to be simply midcard fodder. Definitely two promising characters though. I look forward to your development of them.

I'll admit I skimmed through the tag team match. Nothing really grabbed me there. I was kind of disappointed The Nightmares didn't go over, especially since who's a star and who isn't is totally irrelevant to me. I can respect you wanting to build up an underdog tag team though.

The "money costume" typo had me scratching my head, but I officially mark for Hell Monkey, based solely on the name. It's good to see I'm not alone. Darryl Devine's promo was good for how it scored, but he just seems to be standard generic heel at this point.

Brent Hill seems like a fairly vanilla character, but looks like a strong fixture for your future title scene. I can definitely appreciate that. I think some of the wackiness of your other characters will make him stand out even more, but you appear to be muting some of those overtones. I really enjoyed the finish though. Devine busting him open speaks to a more sadistic streak for him, which is good, but unless he's going to be a top heel I question the heat overdose you're dishing out for him. Props for using the ring bell though. It's a very underrated weapon. :)

Hell Monkey winning means yay. The other two characters look golden too though, but the fact that a wrestler called Hell Monkey is the inaugural champion is a clear sign that this is a diary I bring take to the bank. The match itself read like you were getting a bit winded, which is understandable. When you start a show, it's easier to take your time than when the finish line is in sight. Still, as with the other segments, it served it's purpose and established H.M. as the guy I'll love to hate.

Good luck finding your stroke with it, XG. I think it's far better than your closing comment gives you credit, but if you believe you can improve, by all means do.

Later.

Well that was a solid opening show for the scenario. I've played a few shows with the Cornell Verse and getting high ratings is nearly impossible until some of these guys gain talent in certain areas, and a lot of overness.

Devine reminds me of a less charismatic Shawn Michaels from the early 90's. All you gotta do now is have him come out carrying a heart shaped mirror and admiring himself in it. That would actually be golden. Then he could use the mirror as a weapon on different occassions.

Brent Hill reminds me of the Cornell-Verse's verson of Dean Malenko. Good solid mat technician with not a lot of charisma. Then again, he may have charisma and just hasn't shoed it yet. Yeah I know, comparing them to real life can get stupid but those were the only two that reminded me of real life wrestlers.

Somoene needs to smack Insane Machine in the head for his total lack of professionalism in that match. They could have collected it but he seemed to just throw his hat in until the very end.

I've got to disagree with C-Mil on the comedy aspect of the Patriots segment. If read right, there is that subtle humor in there that works. You don't always need big "Zingers" in order to get the comedy across. It's all about using your imagination for the facial expressions and such.

Okay, I know I said I was done comparing C-verse wrestlers to real wrestlers, but did Low Ki put on a monkey mask and sneak in here or something? With the other two being faces, I figure it was pretty obvious that Hell Monkey was going to win, mainly because heel champions are always the best. Hope you keep going with this because there are quite a few interesting things going on.