What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Trying to catch up on some Netflix as it get really ignored here.

Saturday/Sunday I got through Shooter. It's pretty good. Basically a long form of the movie.
Monday I watched the entirety of Frontier. I like it. Jason Momoa playing the hard ass with obvious softer sides.
Tues/Wed I binged through Van Helsing. Slow start but it definitely picks up. Very Walking Dead-ish but the Vampires are more like Govenor/Neegan than the Zombies.

Not sure what to move onto next. Possibly Lemony Snicket's or Shadow Hunters.

I've been doing a bit of a 2016 catch-up / pressing on with the Oscar films this week at the cinema.

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was okay - for every impressive element of the film (Andrew Garfield's performance, the visceral war scenes) there's something either ridiculous or stupid to even it out (an overbearing score, ridiculous slow-motion that glorifies war). I'd say I leaned closer to enjoying it, but it's a film that really tries to force the emotion instead of letting it comes naturally. 

Lion was a nice piece of escapism which basically excels on the outstanding performance of its unknown child actor, who helps you invest in a shaky second half that never quite feels complete - it's totally Oscar bait, but a much better kind of Oscar bait than, say, The Danish Girl. 

I saw Jackie last week and liked so much about it, as Benkind said, the score and Portman was amazing, a really moving combination. It's stunning to look at, shot on beautiful 16mm. That said, I thought the film kind've of overstayed its welcome and was weighed down by some script issues and potentially pacing issues. It's still pretty great,  I just got the feeling it could've been really special with the right tweaks. 

My favourite two that I saw since this week - that were completely overlooked by the academy - were Silence and Paterson, two extraordinary films that have stayed with me days after watching them. 

I honestly 2016 has been the best year for cinema in such a long, long time. It might've been an absolute flop for blockbusters, but there's been so much incredible stuff this year.

Edited by Jimmy

1 hour ago, LarsLars said:

We had the incredible Civil War Jimmy! That was a great blockbuster! 

Oh yeah, I liked it a lot, but even as a huge fan of the Marvel fans, Civil War still lacked something - maybe a proper sense of build up, although the airfield fight is amazing. I'm still yearning for a proper villain in a Marvel film, or at least, the first one since Loki that I was in any way invested in. They need their version of The Joker or even Doc Oc from Spiderman 2. 

On 2/4/2017 at 04:40, fhqwhjosh said:

If they keep a slow burn going with Baron Zemo, he could become that.

I have a feeling that's where they're going with that, as he had that final scene with Martin Freeman, which I'm excited to see where it goes.

I echo what Jimmy said, Lion had an incredible first half, but the second half was absolutely bogged down with Oscar bait. That scene between Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman with her in the wheelchair was absolutely excruciating, and had me almost lose any interest in the film. Sunny Pawar, the child actor, was incredible, though.

Moonlight was beautiful. I can see why momentum for it during awards season has faded a bit because it's low-key, intimate, and subtle. Heartbreaking too. The delivery of the final line... fucking hell. Also, really happy Mahershala Ali has received plaudits as I see him in a lot of things and, like fellow House of Cards alumni Jimmi Simpson, he is everywhere and brilliantly unflashy at what he does.

Hacksaw Ridge was easier a watch than I expected. Andrew Garfield's accent is quite Oscar-bait, but he puts on a great show. I was also surprisingly impressed by Vince Vaughn. I felt like Mel Gibson patronised the audience quite a bit, though - any subtext comes at you like a brick to the face. Plus, while I don't 100% agree with @Jimmy the intention was to glorify war itself, the lingering battle scenes were gratuitous but desensitised. Filmmakers need to work harder on portraying the horrors of war. @Liam posted a quote from a book about World War II describing soldiers walking around with their lower jaws missing. Shit like that, anything that detracts from a video game demo reel.

I bloody loved Hell or High Water to the point I'm surprised it was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. A really nice lament on the perilous economy of southern America and the measures people take, well, come hell or high water. Easily Chris Pine's best performance, too. Lean, confident, beautifully shot too. I can see myself watching this again sooner than later.

The Lego Batman Movie was good, not great. They start off with the wonderfully meta-jokes that made The Lego Movie my second favourite film of 2014, but the story ultimately cops out to an extremely noisy 'save the world' narrative. I know superhero films require the threat of widespread destruction, even if I'm bored of watching that story time and again, but there should've been far more scenes of Batman goofing off versus the other characters.

• Like 1

Silence was a gut punch. I honestly don't know how I feel about this film, only that I want to watch it again to understand it more but I really am at a loss for words now. That final shot, wow. Right now, it's all still super fresh with me, so I might be going a bit hyperbolic by saying it's the best Scorcese movie I've seen.

SULLY was great. And Aaron Eckhart should do more movies where he has a mustache. Cool thing is, the captain of the boat that helped ferry the passengers after the plane went into the Hudson plays himself in the film.