What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

• 1 month later...

I watched it last night. It was really good. I loved the score and it made me care about basketball and Adam Sandler. The latter two are quite an achievement.

I re-watched The Boy. There have definitely been worse Horror films in the last 5 years or so. 

Gonna go and watch the sequel during my week off next Tuesday. 

Talking of re-watches, I plan on seeing It Follows again as that's definitely one of my recent favourites. 

In a fit of pure coincidence, on the same day Harvey Weinstein was found guilty I went to see The Assistant, a movie basically about one single work day in the life of a young woman who's the personal assistant for an unseen figure who is as close to Weinstein as possible without actually having to come up with like a fake name for him (Marvin Finestone?). I really liked it, though it's absolutely not going to leave you feeling satisfied or happy.  It's pretty much a movie that purely exists to answer the question "how could people let this keep happening?" and it's a hard answer to take.

The way it captures the mundane stuff of office work and just gradually lets the ugliness of who she works for and what he gets away with sink in is great, particularly because it deliberately underplays everything so the little hints of gross behavior (printing out a lengthy series of headshots from young actresses, for example) are treated the exact same way as stuff like taking lunch orders or turning on the lights at the start of the day.

on the other end of the subtlety spectrum, I watched The Fast and the Furious for the first time ever on Friday. It's such a hilarious "it was 2001!" time capsule. At one point the Saliva song from WrestleMania X8 turned up and I was absolutely cackling because of course this is the one place that song would show up other than wrestling. Looking forward to seeing how they somehow transition from what the franchise is at this starting point to what it is now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

In a fit of pure coincidence, on the same day Harvey Weinstein was found guilty I went to see The Assistant, a movie basically about one single work day in the life of a young woman who's the personal assistant for an unseen figure who is as close to Weinstein as possible without actually having to come up with like a fake name for him (Marvin Finestone?). I really liked it, though it's absolutely not going to leave you feeling satisfied or happy.  It's pretty much a movie that purely exists to answer the question "how could people let this keep happening?" and it's a hard answer to take.

The way it captures the mundane stuff of office work and just gradually lets the ugliness of who she works for and what he gets away with sink in is great, particularly because it deliberately underplays everything so the little hints of gross behavior (printing out a lengthy series of headshots from young actresses, for example) are treated the exact same way as stuff like taking lunch orders or turning on the lights at the start of the day.

Yeah I saw the trailer when I went to see the Boy sequel, and it definitely shot to the top of what I want to see as soon as possible.

Speaking of Brahms: The Boy II, my god is that a fucking awful movie. Who the hell is thinking that the Boy, which was absolutely horrible and ended in a way that you can't really have a sequel too, would have need an absolutely terrible sequel such as that? My girlfriend was repeatedly apologizing for suggesting it, as she really liked the first one and even she couldn't like this.

On the other hand, I watched Gretel and Hansel a few days before that, and that movie is pretty enjoyable. Not a standard horror movie, in fact it's barely a horror movie and just a really weird supernatural film. 

I watched The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and Red Dragon for the first time over the last two days. Usually I'd say that Julianne Moore would be an upgrade from Jodie Foster in anything else, but man, that series was really hurt by Foster not reprising the role of Agent Starling.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, iDOL said:

I watched The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and Red Dragon for the first time over the last two days. Usually I'd say that Julianne Moore would be an upgrade from Jodie Foster in anything else, but man, that series was really hurt by Foster not reprising the role of Agent Starling.

Red Dragon, however, I recall being pretty great.

On 24/02/2020 at 11:54, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Watched Eagle vs. Shark and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Both very good, very funny. 

Eagle vs. Shark is f’in excellent. I love it. 

We watched Fighting with my Family last night. It was ok. Felt a bit rushed.

Yesterday: Line of Duty, on Prime. Action flick starring Aaron Eckhart as a suspended police officer teaming with a streaming journalist to stop some bad guys and rescue a kidnapped girl who will die if they don't rescue her in a certain amount of time. Has some comedic moments, but not really enough to call it an action-comedy. Darn good movie, though.

Today: Spenser Confidential, on Netflix. Very loosely based (and I mean VERY fucking loosely based) on the Spenser books by Robert B. Parker, starring Mark Wahlberg, Winston Duke and Alan Arkin. Good action-comedy, but I figured out who the bad guy was way before the main characters did. Hope there's a sequel, but won't be too upset if there's not. Bokeem Woodbine, Marc Maron and Post Malone are also it.

Heart of Glass, Werner Herzog's 1976 film about prophecies and glass blowing in 18th century Bavarian. Half the cast were apparently under hypnosis resulting in very strange performances. It's interesting to watch at least.

The last few shots actually take place on the Skellig Islands off the coast of Kerry (the location for Ach-To in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi). There are a couple of identical shots actually. It's kinda ironic that Herzog would later go on to be in a Star Wars related thing himself.