What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Kings of Summer. Holy shit, that was pure wonder all the way through. All three of the kids were so relatable, even Ralphio or whatever his name was. Jesus man, some of his lines.

"I met a dog. It taught me how to die."

I watched The Way Way Back!

Can kind of see why people weren't so hot on it, is certainly wasn't as lovely as Kings of Summer, but I still really enjoyed it! Supporting cast just had a ton of fun (It's Sam Rockwell, what else would you expect?) and the story wasn't that bad. I'd still say it's worth a watch, even if it wasn't everything it could've been.

I think that's me caught up on adorable indie coming of age stories. Are there any I'm missing?

Carrie

Surprisingly did everything well (except the ending) and Julianne Moore's fantastic, but it's ultimately a pointless movie. The Sissy Spacek version still holds up almost 40 years later, so it did not need to be remade, but at least it's good.

Carrie

Surprisingly did everything well (except the ending) and Julianne Moore's fantastic, but it's ultimately a pointless movie. The Sissy Spacek version still holds up almost 40 years later, so it did not need to be remade, but at least it's good.

Attempting to find necessity in any remake is pretty much a fool's errand.

I disagree. The Thing is easily a top 5 all-time horror movie and it's a remake. The problem is, studios won't allow people to take liberties and make it different anymore, so we're basically just getting carbon copies.

Yeah, what Zero said. The Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake is also a vastly different but still brilliant film. I guess Evil Dead's remake was halfway towards that as the body horror stuff was done very well, but removing the comedic elements was a bad move.

EDIT: Although I'd like to declare that I prefer 'The Thing from Another World' to 'The Thing', just to be a contradictive little shit to popular consencus. I have a massive soft spot for 1950s sci-fi/horror.

I totally disagree on that front. It was a different film, but I'd say I enjoyed the Evil Dead remake as much as I enjoyed the original. I don't have the love for it most do, though. I just thought it was so much fucking fun. I absolutely adored Jane Levy in it and the whole end sequence was fantastic.

I also have a soft spot for the prequel of The Thing they did. I didn't think it was anywhere near the levels of the 80's Thing, but it was fun enough. I'd put it above most of the Nightmare or Friday sequels at the very least.

I loved the Evil Dead remake as well, and I don't think they removed the comedy too much. The original had campy elements, but wasn't the comedy that Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness were, I think the remake was perfectly in-line with the original's sense of humor. I also adore Jane Levy... that doesn't have much to do with the remake discussion, I just wanted to say that I adore Jane Levy.

I loved the Evil Dead remake as well, and I don't think they removed the comedy too much. The original had campy elements, but wasn't the comedy that Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness were, I think the remake was perfectly in-line with the original's sense of humor. I also adore Jane Levy... that doesn't have much to do with the remake discussion, I just wanted to say that I adore Jane Levy.

Who doesn't? She's just too adorable not to love.

So I watched Dark Knight for the first time earlier (took long enough!)... it was enjoyable, but I didn't think it was particularly great as I've heard other people say it is. Heath Ledger was great in it, admittedly but... eh, you get my point.

And now I'm watching The Room. what a change of pace.

So I watched Dark Knight for the first time earlier (took long enough!)...

Jesus fuck, man. What rock have you been living under? Have you seen the other two?

Anyway, watched The Conjuring today. It was solid, but didn't blow me away. Never been into the haunted house genre. More of a slasher guy myself.