What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I'm with TKz on this one. Edward Norton is an average actor with little on-screen presence, which is why his pretentiousness and ego has resulted in a quite slim filmography compared to other hard to handle A-Listers: he's just not worth the trouble.

I'm with TKz on this one. Edward Norton is an average actor with little on-screen presence, which is why his pretentiousness and ego has resulted in a quite slim filmography compared to other hard to handle A-Listers: he's just not worth the trouble.

Nor the money! He's been pretty happy to coast on previous success for way too long for my liking.

I liked him in Moonrise Kingdom, but then, I dare you not to like a character in a Wes Anderson film that he intends to be likeable. Also not exactly a weighty role.

Overall I was super glad when Mark Ruffalo replaced him as Bruce Banner. Such a step up.

I dunno, I thought he was fantastic in so many things I've seen him in. American History X, The Illusionist, the 25th Hour, Moonrise Kingdom, and yet my favourite role of Norton is still Worm in Rounders. I've just enjoyed his work quite a lot to say that he's just average.

• Like 1

I enjoy his work a lot, but for someone of his ability (in my opinion, anyway) he doesn't have a huge filmography to show for it, which I think someone eluded to earlier. Though, as much as I love Norton, Ruffalo was definitely an upgrade as Banner.

I enjoy his work a lot, but for someone of his ability (in my opinion, anyway) he doesn't have a huge filmography to show for it, which I think someone eluded to earlier. Though, as much as I love Norton, Ruffalo was definitely an upgrade as Banner.

Well yeah, Ruffalo is awesome so of course he was an upgrade.

Saw What Richard Did last night. It was an odd movie - like the tension is oppressive up until Richard "does" what he does, but after that it sort of peters out despite a great scene between the father and son. Even so, Jack Reynor is really wonderful in it, and Lars Mikkelsen was also very good, even if his character was oddly written. It is great to see him start to break into more English cinema. He's been good in everything I've seen him in - particularly The Killing/Forbrydelsen.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - Mostly fun, but the really uninspired Steve Jobs-parody villain is annoying and in it way too much. The film's strength comes from the script goofing off in places by conjuring up an insane amount of food/animal-based puns.

Thor 2. I really enjoyed it and, where I've seen people claim Iron Man has arguably run it's course, I'd be up for plenty more of these as they work great as standalone adventures. Hemsworth and Hiddlestone are great again and prime examples of perfect casting.

The

Captain America

cameo was cool too.

I loved the performances. Yes. The story is ehhh, but the performances really brought it home for me. It definitely feels like a novel come to the big screen. Which is a weird kind of thing. Like you're watching a book, perhaps? The dialogue really gives you that impression. That is probably what is mostly making people not enjoy it. The movie drags a little, but not so much. In the end, it won't be Ridley Scott's fault you didn't enjoy it, basically. I probably won't ever feel the urge to see it again, but it wasn't bad at all.