What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Saw Wolf of Wall Street last night, I can certainly echo all those thoughts of it being too long. Just felt kind of directionless at times, we get it, you love taking coke. Did we really need to dedicate 2 thirds of the movie to that? But, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun.

And being a former watcher of Neighbours, it's hard to shake how weird it is seeing Margot Robbie in it, be it her attempts at a Brooklyn accent or just the general fact that she's gone from a soap opera to this big movie. I know there's been plenty of examples of it over the years but this was the first time I've experienced it with someone I'm familiar with. Still, some of her scenes do distract you in other ways. :shifty:

American Hustle

Yeah, I freaking loved it. Thought it did everything it was meant to do, and above all else, it was entertaining as fuck. Louis C.K. and Bradley Cooper might be the funniest pairing on the big screen this year.

Be right back, gotta' go add to my shrine for Amy Adams :wub:

The Selfish Giant

I thought this was going to be another movie in the vein of The Kings of Summer and The Way, Way Back. It sure as hell wasn't. Well worth a watch, even though I couldn't understand what a damn thing they were saying sometimes (the entire movie I thought Swifty's name was Tristan). I enjoyed it immensely.

Blue Jasmine

This was the exact opposite. I detested this, as the anti-heroine who is the focal point of this movie is someone I couldn't stand. Really, really hated Cate Blanchett's character, which I think was something Woody Allen wanted, actually, so I guess she not only gave a great performance, but did her job as well. Bobby Cannavale's performance was great as well, love the crap out of that guy.

Ernest & Celestine

Crap, this is the most adorable film ever. Everyone go watch this film, especially if you have kids who can read (or understand French, I suppose). I don't care if I haven't seen Frozen or The Wind Rises, I want this to win Best Animated Feature.

The books based on it have been published in English, I suppose?

Had a rare day off, so decided to watch a couple of films, all of which were subtitled. I'm trying to catch up on all the Oscar stuff I've missed, as well as watch stuff in accordance with my world cinema module.

Cutie and the Boxer - A beautifully shot and interesting documentary which has been nominated for best documentary this year. It shouldn't, and won't win, because The Act of Killing is just too good, but it's very deserving of its nomination. At only 80 minutes, it's well worth everyone watching.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - So, my first Bunel feature film. And, uh, yeah. What? I have no idea what I thought. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. It's surreal, but in a completely different way from Lynch, who I love. I think my problem was that I didn't really connect with anyone on screen, nor did it leave me kind of thrilled or in awe in the same the way that Eraserhead did (but comparing Bunel to Lynch seems a little unfair, as they're completely different filmmakers, loosely connected cos they make surreal films). Just feel like I definitely missed something here after all the hype. Maybe it'll make more sense in another viewing.

The Kid with a Bike - This was more in tune with the kind of film I've been growing to love. It's naturalistic, it's honest, and it really hit home. The kid is fantastic -- one of the best child performances I've seen. Really good stuff here.

The Impossible: Maan, this film was sad. So sad. Like so much of it is just really sad. No idea how well received it was, but it was just so emotional. I enjoyed the film - but spent most of it in deep sorrow.

The Wolf of Wall Street: Awesome, awesome, awesome. Really long.. but really damn good. Leo was brilliant, as was the rest of the cast to be honest. I loved it. Scorsese is a genius.

Got American Hustle to watch, and I think I wanna see Dallas Buyers Club too.