What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 was better than I thought it'd be.

It had been pitched to me as FOOD-PUNS FOOD-PUNS FOOD-PUNS, when actually the funny parts were nothing to do with said puns...

Also recorded The Butler, which I half-intended to see at the cinema and never got round to, so will watch that at some point soon...

It's a whole new world since I got Sky Movies for the first time last week. :shifty:

• Like 1

Lucy wasn't very good at all.

That looked like it was going to be "okay, take the premise of Limitless...aaand...JUST GIVE HER ALL THE SUPERPOWERS, ANY YOU CAN THINK OF. SWISH SWOOSH, LOOK AT HER GO!". Would that be an accurate synopsis? :shifty:

The Butler was good quality, as expected, although probably not enough to it for me to ever be bothered watching again. For the most part it just feels like you're breezing through a light history review and if the main actor wasn't someone so good then you'd wonder what the point of it all is. But it's Forest Whitaker so you just let it all slide.

I then made a fatal error and decided to watch a Disney straight-to-video animated sequel because I had 90 minutes to spare. It had been so long since I'd watched any such things that I'd forgotten quite HOW terrible they get. Kronk's New Groove brought me back to reality. I may have to watch Emperor's New Groove again this weekend just to cleanse my soul.

Still going...

Planes - Adequate film, watchable...inoffensive...enjoyable enough. The nobody-to-winner story is more conventional than the one Cars had, but it's conventional because it works. Would be happy to catch its sequel (or is it a spin-off?) at some point.

All The President's Men - Love this. Exactly the kind of film that I adore and makes Stokerina want to stab her eyes out. :shifty: I think if you didn't know a lot about Watergate going in (for whatever reason), you would really struggle because you'd spend the whole film thinking "what the fuck's the point of all this?". And yeah, you have to like films that are all talk and no action (unlike Stokerina). But it's Redford and Hoffman, it's Watergate, and it's fantastic.

• Like 1

Fiddler on the Roof was on a local over-the-air broadcast this morning. I unfortunately started watching right before, "Do You Love Me?" started, so I missed a lot of the fun parts.

I watched Management starring Jennifer Aniston and Steve Zahn. I'm still trying to put together all my thoughts coherently but after an immensely creepy first half the film suddenly opens up and becomes rather sweet and touching. It's a bit heavy on the zany side as it's clearly trying to fulfil a billing as an off-ball, wacky indie flick but Aniston and Zahn work quite well together and there's a couple of really nice lines. I'd recommend giving it a watch.

King of New York, great film, better than I remembered honestly. Great action, and a great cast consisting of Christopher Walken, Laurence Fishburn, David Caruso, Wesley Snipes, Steve Buscemi, Giancarlo Esposito, Victor Argo, and Paul Calderon.

Recommended for anybody that likes a quick paced action/gangster flick. It's not a total action flick, but there are some great gun fights in this one.

Films watched over yesterday and today:

Dr. Doolittle (1967) - good old-fashioned silliness

The Pink Panther (1964) - one of those films I'd never seen but felt I sort of should have. ...Now I can say that I have and need never bother with it again. :shifty:

The Candidate - Interesting to see such similarities with campaign episodes of The West Wing (when this was made 27 years earlier). Guess politics didn't change much, huh.

White House Down - as paint-by-numbers as expected.

Went and saw Lucy this morning. I think it's a film that I'd like to see again to see if I enjoy it more. I didn't feel it was bad but I did spend some time asking questions of the plot.

Sex Tape is bad. Really bad. Didn't laugh once, there's so many problems purely from a technological point of view, the acting is shoddy, there are really noticeable editing and continuity errors and the characters are just dumb, irritating and unlikeable.

Just out of a screening of Before I Go To Sleep. Has enough twists and turns and it's never boring but it loses control of the narrative a couple of times which aren't helped by the Memento-like jumps from time to time. The whole cast is pretty good and Colin Firth is the best of them.