What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I actually liked the new Robocop :wacko:

They strip away the appeal of the original Robocop (the dark humour, mainly), but as a generic futuristic action film, I thought it was a decent effort. Directly comparable to the Evil Dead remake - again, the humour wasn't there, but it was competent in its own right.

I just watched Forever and Selfie on ABC's website. I hope these actually last, as they're both quite well-done. Of course, as the latter is based upon Pygmalion, I'm not sure about how long this can last. Here's hoping that they take inspiration from the postscript after Eliza becomes a complete person.

Legends was everything I hoped. Sometimes he's posh, sometimes he's Sheffield, he dresses like a shit Jack Bauer, Ali Larter dresses like a poor man's Claire Danes. I'm supposed to believe a man who has played a Yorkshireman in everything he's ever done (IRA Yorkshireman in Patriot Games will always be my favourite) is the most impressive undercover man anyone's ever seen.

It's amazing. :D:wub:

Just started season 3 of Stargate Atlantis.

:wub: Really enjoying my watch through of it. Always was my favourite of the Stargates.

I LOVE Stargate Atlantis, I felt the character dynamics were much better and much more organic on Atlantis. And the Sheppard/McKay bromance is one of the best pairings in TV series i've seen, they play off of each other perfectly.

Finally got around to seeing ParaNorman. Fun film, although the trailer didn't quite capture what was actually going on in the film; the previews I saw were all about the gimmick of the film, not the plot. Still, definitely worthwhile and quite fun. Stop-motion is always interesting as a film medium. I may need to see the Box Trolls just so that I can see more of it.

Still doesn't beat James and the Giant Peach for execution, however.

That Thing You Do! (1995)

Fuck I love this movie so much! Everything about this is just awesome, awesome, awesome.

Really dumb, jth-like fact: Tom Hanks played a character named Mr. White while Bryan Cranston played an astronaut in this. Tom Hanks would go on to play an astronaut in Apollo 13 while Cranston would play some drug dealer dude :shifty:

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane

Didn't expect too much from this really. Simple "cabin in the woods" type horror with one-dimensional characters and Amber Heard in the role of hot chick. Came around to it, though. The part I enjoyed the most was Bird's scene with Mandy where he is actually nice to her and says that he's not like the other guys. They actually stuck with that for the rest of the movie, but he never got another solo scene after that. The ending, though, really took away from the movie in my mind. Far too convoluted and I just came away disappointed after a meh beginning, but pretty good middle section.

Last night I watched Taxi Driver for the first time ever. It's one of those films I always meant to watch but never got around to. I enjoyed it, it felt very human and natural, the kind of thing you can sincerely imagine happening, and very rarely did it feel like I was watching a film and more that I was watching human interaction and witnessing Travis' descent.

My only gripe was the awful shoot out scene - I'd heard great things about it, but I don't know whether it's aged badly or what, but it just seemed almost b-movie in it's over the top ridiculousness.

Generally though, it was a well spent couple of hours, and it's a good reminder that people aren't exclusively good or bad, and that bad people can do good things and good people can do bad things, and often those people are one in the same.

Watched Our Idiot Brother last night. It was bloody lovely. I kind of expected it to be a bit iffy since the cast was quite packed with famous names for an indie film, but it was really touching and funny. Elizabeth Banks was her usual vacuum of personality, but everyone else made up for it.

I watched Sex Tape and the whole thing plays like an episode of a TV show, not a film. It wasn't great, but not terrible. The bits with Jason Segel fighting a dog went on far too long, but otherwise it was an okay thing to watch in the background.

You do get to see Cameron Diaz boob through her shirt for like 5 minutes, which was a pleasant surprise. :pervert:

Watched The Great Gatsby (2013). Really was hoping for something more special, but it's disappointing.

Cinematography was clearly done with intent to show the flashy elements of the tale but never really works, and the soundtrack is downright abysmal at points and rarely suits the film (seriously, I love Jay-Z but who the fuck thought his songs would work in a film based in this period).

Trouble is that no-one ever really comes off as likeable or empathisable so I never invested in anyone either except Isla Fisher's character for the brief moments she appears, and even that's more sympathy than likeability. Not even Nick/The Narrator ever comes across as anything but a voice over as exposition rather than an integral proxy for the viewer. Gatsby himself is more often exposited to be a good person than actually shown as such.

Not a film I'd suggest anyone watch unless you were already intending to see it at some point. It's not really bad, but it does have glaring flaws.