What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Watched Enter The Dragon earlier. Kind of disappointed with it.

It's arguably the most significant martial arts film of all time, but the fight scenes just do not hold up well. Add that to a mediocre plot and some really cheesey 70s acting and you've not got a great mix.

Fun for what it is, but it has not aged well at all.

On a sort-of-related-but-only-in-a-way-that's-disrespectful-to-good-cinema note, I watched Big Trouble in Little China earlier. :shifty:

Magnificent stupidity, that film. Magnificent.

Am currently halfway through Kill Bill Vol. 1, which I'm sure my former TPP tag team partner GoGo will be staggered to learn I have never bothered to watch up until this point.

• Like 1

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Brilliant film. Tyler Labrine is awesome in everything he's in and was my favorite part of the movie. Fun gore and an actually entertaining plot, as well as some fun acting from the main girl. Definitely excited to see the sequel whenever it comes out.

Elevator

Expected something close to M. Night Shyamalan's Devil, but something told me to actually give it a shot. Good idea as I wound up really enjoying this. Simple story of 9 people trapped in an elevator, and somebody has a bomb strapped to them. Pretty thrilling from beginning to end and I thought the movie did a very good job in giving everybody some semblance of character, with the comedian being my favorite to watch.

Hellraiser

Always heard about this movie, but like Candyman (which I think I'll watch soon after reading Ellis' thread), I just never bothered to look for it. Came upon Hellraiser on YouTube and said what the hell. I didn't know much about the story other than there was a really cool guy called Pinhead. Actual story was much cooler and kept Pinhead, or I guess Lead Cenobite as he wasn't given the nickname until later, and the rest of the Cenobites off-screen until maybe the last half hour. Really like the role of "demons to some, angels to others" as I expected the Cenobites to just be pure evil from the get-go. Probably going to watch the second movie soon, though I've been told that there's a lot less story and tons more unnecessary gore.

Pacific Rim was pleasantly suprising despite a poor start. I was really worried Mako was going to be just the token love interest and an asian stereotype in the early going, but the latter was probably hangover fear after Breakfast at Tiffany's yesterday. Plus, y'know, Hollywood. Thankfully neither wound up correct assumptions.

Interesting characters, well paced and solid plot, stupendous visuals (seriously, the mech and monster fight scenes are amongst the most beautiful CGI I've ever seen), and a great core cast that kept pleasantly suprising. Charlie Day absolutely stole the film with his character and I really hope he's in the sequel.

Godzilla *** and a Meh.

I planned on going to see this in the theater but was never able to. Now, I'd already been spoilered on a couple of things (Bryan Cranston not really being the star, and Godzilla not actually showing up until well into the film), but I have to give the movie a rating of 3 and a half stars and one Meh. "Meh" due to the not enough screentime for Godzilla. I hope Brody and Serizawa are back for the sequel, but at least give us one daytime fight and have Godzilla show up before the halfway mark....

Blended ****

I like both Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, but we mainly got this from Netflix for my girlfriend's son....and the damn fucker decided not to watch it. Its a damn good movie, but my favorite Sandler movie is still a tie between Happy Gilmore and Click.

Meet the Robinsons (2007)

Man, this movie is fucking awesome! It's a wonderful little tribute to Walt Disney, really heartwarming and can really make you tear up. Gets a little sugary at the end, but it's super charming, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Godzilla *** and a Meh.

I planned on going to see this in the theater but was never able to. Now, I'd already been spoilered on a couple of things (Bryan Cranston not really being the star, and Godzilla not actually showing up until well into the film), but I have to give the movie a rating of 3 and a half stars and one Meh. "Meh" due to the not enough screentime for Godzilla. I hope Brody and Serizawa are back for the sequel, but at least give us one daytime fight and have Godzilla show up before the halfway mark....

Blended ****

I like both Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, but we mainly got this from Netflix for my girlfriend's son....and the damn fucker decided not to watch it. Its a damn good movie, but my favorite Sandler movie is still a tie between Happy Gilmore and Click.

Thank you for infuriating me with this post.

• Like 1

The One is a fun bit of popcorn, but should be a lot better.

Really bad directing holds it back. Visually it's a film stuck in the 80s despite being from 2001, and the soundtrack - whilst great for any alternative kid in the early 00's - does not suit the film.

Everybody's acting is fine, the writing is okay and the plot is good in principle, bit it all falls apart at the director bringing it together.

Cloud Atlas is pretty damn great. I can't remember the last time I was engrossed in a film quite so much. It's both a tremendous epic and a touching personal story and everything inbetween - the benefit of telling six stories at once fully realised.

I can see it being a film that others might find too long and flitting about to much, but for me it totally hit that sweet spot.

• Like 2

The Signal

Not very good. While it has a nice twist to it, Laurence Fishburne must've needed the money. Netflix was supposed to send us Brick Mansions, which is now on a short wait, instead of this. I give it 2 and a half stars, and that's being generous.

Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)

James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Humphrey Bogart, George Bancroft, Ann Sheridan, that's like a hall of fame of actors. It's incredibly fast-paced for its era, and Cagney and O'Brien are just so fucking great together.

Also, Cagney is shorter than Bogie, which I never even thought was possible.

• Like 2