What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Just started watching The Royal Tenenbaums. Evidently I have reached a point in relation to Wes Anderson films where I adore them within 30 seconds of their opening, just because of their obvious Wes Anderson-ness.

I can't even explain exactly what Wes Anderson-ness is or why I have come to adore it. But it exists and I do.

• Like 1

365 upate:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

I'm surprised, given how much I've heard about how people frown on the sequels for being more toned down and kid friendly, that there's a bit of that silliness here too. I mean, sure it's pretty dark otherwise but you still have some goofiness in there like Mikey fighting with cymbals for some reason. Funny how crap the Turtles are too, it seems like Casey Jones does all the hard work and a half dead Splinter who's spent however many days hung up in the Shredder's hideout manages to fight Shredder off where all four Turtles failed. They all look pretty cool though, probably more than the 2014 film can say.

The Iron Giant (1999)

I'm slightly torn on the look of this film because in general it looks very nice, the titular robot looks great, even kinda cute at the start when it first meet's Hogarth and is just sitting down, tilting his head and trying to talk. Then you have the opposite end of the scale at the end when it transforms into it's attack form with all sorts of laser cannons protruding out of it and it looks crazy. But I'm not a fan of the look of the humans, they just look kinda weird. I guess it doesn't help that Kent, the Government agent, is really creepy. I like the bittersweet ending, cutting from the Iron Giant saving the day to the statue they erect in his honour. That's nice, even if I guess he isn't truly gone, it'd probably just take a long time for him to reassamble himself now his parts have been blow apart all across the globe.

Astro Boy (2009)

I've always had a desire to watch this after playing the cult favourite Astro Boy: Omega Factor Gameboy Advance game and when it popped up as a Netflix suggestion after The Iron Giant, why not? The way people react to minor changes in characters in their adaptions to different media or in sequels, remakes or reboots, it makes me wonder how fans reacted to them putting Astro Boy in some proper clothes. To be honest, they probably didn't even bother looking but at least it saved us from having to see this humanoid cyborg running around the entire movie with no shirt on. That'd just be weird. Speaking of weird, Bill Nighy as Dr Elefun sounds kinda bored. At least everyone else has some energy about them, like Nathan Lane or Donald Sutherland as President Stone. That guy's great, even if he doesn't make much sense. He's running this floating island paradise but seems intent on starting a war with 'the surface', where they dump all their broken old robots, in order to curry favour during re-election. Why? That seems like a huge waste of money. "We've got an unidentified flying object, Sir." "What's that? The surface dwellers are attacking? Welp, declare war on them!"

Fright Night (2011)

I actually like some of the changes they made here from the 1985 original, namely 'Fright Night' now being a Vegas stage show rather than a late night horror film marathon. I guess those things aren't what they were now you can watch virtually any movie you want online in a matter of seconds, huh? David Tennant does a good job as the 'new' Peter Vincent but it makes me wonder if they had Russel Brand to star as Vincent though because the character here just seems like he'd fit it to a tee. They play up the whole Vegas thing as perfect for Vampires, people always just passing through and the 'sleep all day, work/play all night' nature of the city so that all makes sense. Colin Farrell makes for a good Jerry, got that whole brooding, sexy thing going on. Lot of the other characters like Charlie, his friends and Ed are kinda dickish though so that's annoying. Didn't fully realize until afterwords that it's meant to be a 3D movie but there are certainly moments during the movie like things crashing through windows or spurts of blood flying at the camera which just look a bid odd when you're just watching normally.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)

Man, John Candy is great. Even as they play up all of Del's annoying habits, he still just seems like a really nice guy. I guess Neal doesn't see it that way though when he pictures him as the Devil. You're certainly not expecting to see that or them suddenly turning into skeletons for a split second so it only ramps up an exciting scene. Neal going nuts at the car rental lady is pretty great and I don't really recall much if any swearing anywhere else so it certainly makes it stand out, even if he does use the word 'fucking' every other fucking word in his fucking setence.

The Princess Bride (1987)

Going back to Fright Night, the original Jerry, Chris Sarandon, has a small cameo in it as a victim of Farrell. I didn't even realize he was the cop in Child's Play but, looking him up again, I was quick to spot him here as Prince Humperdinck. A lot of fun this one with it's adventure, the dialogue and the characters themselves. Amusing to see stuff like Inigo, even whilst intending to duel and kill Westley, is very chivalrous by helping him up the cliff and waiting for him to ready himself to fight.

• Like 1

Fargo (1996) was good. I haven't watched the newer TV series or anything so I have nothing to compare it to.

Often films like this which are quite short, 'dark humour' types can start off with a good premise but then drift off towards the end as they sort of forget what the point is. Just kind of meander around being odd/dark, if you get what I mean.

This, however, was quite tight throughout and the dark humour was always secondary to the plot, thankfully. I'm also glad that there was at least one main character whom you could like (the pregnant policewoman), because for a while I was sort of wondering whether everyone in this film was going to be a dick (or a corpse). :shifty:

Aw, man, how could you not feel for WHM's character? Sure, he wanted to have his wife kidnapped, but I always still kinda' liked him.

Just like Martin Freeman's character in the TV show.

He's such a cunt! The fact that he's terribly inept at fucking people over for his own gain doesn't detract from what he's trying to do.

• Like 2

Rain Man was okay. Another one that didn't live up to the hype, but a nice film regardless.

:o

I managed to get through the entire second series of Under the Dome in the background of working from home. It's horrible. How long are they stringing it out for?

Currently two thirds through The Master, and it's so good in many seperate ways, but it's just not coming together as a cohesive film. PSH is solid, Phoenix is good, Adams is okay though not on her usual form, the script is subtle but effective and the style is pretty standard but works, but the whole package just comes across as less than satisfying so far.

Rain Man was okay. Another one that didn't live up to the hype, but a nice film regardless.

:o

I managed to get through the entire second series of Under the Dome in the background of working from home. It's horrible. How long are they stringing it out for?

It's been renewed for a third season. No word beyond that.