What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Just got around to watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I'm not usually one to say "Fuck Michael Bay" but Fuck Michael Bay. I hated it. I can't think of a single redeeming quality. I thought it would be William Fichtner but even his role sucked so much. Why?!!

• Like 1

Captain America: The Winter Soldier was good, much better than the original film. As cliché as it is to say, I think I prefer the comic version of the tale, but it's a very good adaptation. Also (MAJOR SPOILERS)...

... loved seeing one of my favourite comic characters in Bucky under the Winter Soldier garb. The geek in me was squealing with delight every time he was on screen.

Despite loving the TV series', I am somehow only now watching the original Star Trek: The Motion Picture now. About halfway through and whilst it's okay, it's quite plodding pace-wise, and has a little much focus on establishing newer characters rather than the old ones.

It just felt like a really thinly stretched TOS episode to be honest, which can be a strain to watch depending on quality, mood, and how much I dislike Kirk that given day.

I am forever staggered by the leap in quality between TMP and Wrath of Khan, which is probably because they *weren't* trying to make the latter into a really thinly stretched TOS episode and just made a film instead.

There are other films where the sequel is much better than the original (Mad Max 2, for example)...but off-hand I can't think of any where the difference is quite so stark.

Meanwhile, today I watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, which was just as grey and largely average as I was expecting, and The Eagle Has Landed, in which Michael Caine is the most cockney German ever, but nonetheless finds a way to be bloody excellent.

• Like 1