What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

^ Since I'm not a nut for horror films, I can only presume there was a level on which I didn't get 'The Cabin in the Woods', beyond the obvious turning of cliches upside-down. It was good, but perhaps not so amazing as some said.

Luckily it had Bradley Whitford dicking about in it, which probably entertained me more than everything else in the film put together.

• Like 1

I like horror films as a kind of "see how awful it can get" thing at this point. It got a tad better, but still not something I'd say everyone should bother to check out.

Currently watching Turner & Hooch and though I'm liking it, I'm also being put off of my recent desire to get a dog :shifty:

It was written by Whedon wasn't it? That's why it got so much love. I'm a Whedon fan but I have yet to actually watch that movie. Also, Turner and Hooch brings back many childhood memories. I tried watching it lately but it doesn't hold up as well from what I remember from when I was younger.q

It got so much love because it's great, which is definitely partly down to Whedon because he's a fantastic writer. I just think it's an incredibly fun film from top to bottom, which stays on the right side of pastiche without ever going ridiculous with it's parody. The final 3rd of that film is insane, and so out of nowhere, I found it impossible not to love.

• Like 2

Picking on Christmas Vacation and Scrooged from the past week as things I'm not overly keen on, Scrooged being particularly loud and obnoxious.

Nor was I that into Wayne's World, didn't find Wayne and Garth to be that funny and all the fourth wall breaking stuff was a bit grating, like the alternate endings business. Movie should have been about surprisingly smart and articulate Alice Cooper instead.

Cool Runnings is good though, still find it hard to dislike John Candy even when his character has a shady past and a surly present. And even though the German team is entirely one note, it's still funny. 'Go home, Jamaica!'

• Like 1

Khumba wasn't great. I mean, it'll entertain its intended audience, but nothing more. Basically wishes it was The Lion King.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was, like Stok said, much better than the first film. Felt far more epic and film-like, and Khan is just an amazingly perfect villain. Great stuff.

Currently half way through In a World and it's a bit of a let down. I think it's trying to be a kooky indie movie but it's pretty uninteresting.

The third Hobbit movie. I thought it was shit. Just felt like a bunch of seemingly unrelated set-pieces one after the other, and the most Peter Jackson fight scenes imaginable. No emotional depth, no real reason to give a shit. You could have probably trimmed it down to half an hour and not lost any meaningful content. What little bits of story there was were the most over-the-top hammered home melodrama imaginable, my personal favourite being;

What, it's not clear that Thorin's been corrupted by gold? How about we show him literally drowning in gold? Clear enough for you yet? Okay, let's add in some flashbacks to every single sentence about him being corrupted in the entire movie, including ones that happened not thirty seconds earlier, and at least one conversation Thorin wasn't part of, yet still is apparently able to have a flashback to.

^ Since I'm not a nut for horror films, I can only presume there was a level on which I didn't get 'The Cabin in the Woods', beyond the obvious turning of cliches upside-down. It was good, but perhaps not so amazing as some said.

Luckily it had Bradley Whitford dicking about in it, which probably entertained me more than everything else in the film put together.

I watch a lot of horror films and I thought Cabin in the Woods was shit. There is a much better film in the concept though.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was good. Not as good as Khan, but Christopher Lloyd makes for a great villain.

Christopher Lloyd is bizarrely wonderful as the least-Klingon Klingon ever. Stealing the Enterprise etc. was fun too, but basically everything involving Spock/the Genesis planet was kind of shit.

Star Trek IV (presuming that you'll be watching that soon) is great fun though. It's such a cliché 1980s family movie - right down to the environmental message - and is just overflowing with silliness.

You could have probably trimmed it down to half an hour and not lost any meaningful content. What little bits of story there was were the most over-the-top hammered home melodrama imaginable

So like both the other Hobbit movies then.