What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Just got back from seeing Super 8, I liked it the look of the film is just awesome and the characters are great. I'd recommend it.

Has anyone else seen Monster Squad and see the similarities between the films? I started to think Dracula had escaped from that train.

Super 8

Loved it. I got a bit of a Monster Squad vibe, but there were a lot of movies like that in the 80s and they just don't make these kind of movies anymore. The kids were absolutely fantastic, best movie starring kids I've seen in over a decade. And the best sci-fi movie I've seen since District 9.

Source Code.

Had some of the calm inception needed, but in the end it wassent clever enough. It´s not a bad movie by any means, but i just was waiting for something that makes me go WOW. I think i would have liked it a little more if i had not seen inception.

Super 8

Loved it. I got a bit of a Monster Squad vibe, but there were a lot of movies like that in the 80s and they just don't make these kind of movies anymore. The kids were absolutely fantastic, best movie starring kids I've seen in over a decade. And the best sci-fi movie I've seen since District 9.

Agreed, great film, but it's time setting sort of bugs me. Granted I know it's supposed to be a love letter to 80's cinema, so I understand why it's there, but it's exactly the type of movie this generation of kids isn't getting. Problem is though, when you don't set something like that in present day, I don't think it will resonate as well with the current generation. ET, Monster Squad, etc, were all set in present day when they were released, which makes them just that much more relatable. If you grew up when those movies came out, then they now can serve to transport you back to that time, which is something I'm a big fan of. It's just a tiny element that I think is missing from Super 8, present day kids aren't going to be able to look back at in two decades at relate at all to the setting, because they can't relate to it now.

• Like 1

I see where you're coming from, but also kinda disagree. Stand By Me is the greatest coming of age movie of all-time and I don't think you had to grow up in 1959 for it to resonate.

Also, just watched The Last Exorcism.

Good scares ruined by a laughably stupid ending.

Speaking of Super 8, why hasn't it been released here in Denmark? I mean, it has gotten an international release, right? It annoys me a great deal because I really want to see it; good or bad.

I bought The Social Network last night along with season one of Batman. It was only my third time watching Social Network and everything about that movie they did exceptionally well. Definitely one of the best movies of last year.

Cedar Rapids comes out next week, anybody see it? I wanted to see it, but no theater near me was playing it, unfortunately.

Me and my gf hated Super 8 so much we walked out at the one hour mark.

I did however love X-Men First Class so very very very much!

Elaborate on where your hatred came from?

Me and my gf hated Super 8 so much we walked out at the one hour mark.

I did however love X-Men First Class so very very very much!

Elaborate on where your hatred came from?

Potential spoilers in the following paragraphs:

We saw it in a shitty little theatre in Where The Fuck Am I, MO that was clearly never designed or intended to be a theatre with shitty seating, a shitty sound system (like 4 speakers on the wall that they probably got at Target in 1993) and a smallish screen the size of your average garage door. The movie was out of focus, the sounds of other movies playing in the theatres around you could be heard over dialogue in the film (I recognized the opening of X-Men as we waited for instance), and the quality overall of the picture was just off. I used to watch movies like this when I was a teenager in a little sixplex in my hometown, but that cost a buck and I wasn't yet used to good quality. So that all clearly affected the film for me (us). Seriously, the train crash sequence looked and sounded like shit, and I have seen it in trailers on my TV where it looked and sounded awesome, so I know the quality of the theatre fucked it up for us.

However beyond that, I thought it was boring. I am glad JJ Abrams grew up a fan of ET and The Goonies and all of Speilberg's movies, good for him, but I didn't want to go sit down and watch a two plus over visual film version of a loving homo blowjob, and that is what Super 8 Felt like to me. An hour in and whatever the thing was from the train I still hadn't seen, the plotholes were enormous, and I couldnt get past the fact that you can ram a train with each of you doing over 40 mph and not die. Ultimately, as it turns out as I sat there I just didnt care about anyone of the kids or the events that were happening. Nothing in the film affected me as casual viewer or drew me into the drama that was unfolding. I was bored. We sat there longer hoping to see the thing from the train, and when they teased again and did not show it, well, we had had enough and we walked out.

I am not one to walk out btw. I have done this like 3 times in my almost 40 years of life. I sat through some really shit movies over the years!

All that said, I will get the movie on BluRay when it comes out this fall and I will give it another go. I wanted to like it, I still want to, I just dont think I will.

Watched Rabbit Hole for the first time today, and absolutely loved it. Seriously, if I had watched it last year, it'd probably be in my top 5, top 8 at least. Really powerful film, with great characters that had like real meat weren't just people someone created to be alive for 2 hours or so.

Nicole Kidman was brilliant, as was Diane Weist. I started out hating the Kidman character, but after a while I realized why she was the way she is, and felt great empathy for her as well as the Eckhart character. Wonderful, wonderful show.