What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Last week's episodes of "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" - both 8/10. I'm so thrilled that "The Simpsons" is back on track, because it definitely makes for some awesome television on Sundays.

Click - 7/10

I like that the film wasn't a sophomoric romp that it looked like it would be when watching the first hour. I mean, some scenes were funny, but others fell flat. Still, the dramatic finale was a simple riff on It's A Wonderful Life and yet it works so well and the film turned out to be one of Sandler's best. I also like the references to past Sandler films thrown in (O'Doyle rules.)

Doom 7/10

Ok, firstly, I don't like the story being changed (Scientists on Mars opening a portal to hell - in the game - becomes Scientists on Mars do genetic experiments that go wrong).

The final showdown goes on a bit too long and gets a bit silly. Also, Sarge needs justifying towards the end, really considering some of the stuff he does (trying to to give anything away there).

But on the whole, if you ever needed an example of a solid but not spectacular, more than watchable but never gripping standard action/horror, then Doom IS that example.

Click - 8/10

Okay, the second viewing confirmed it wasn't a fluke. It's almost a dual feature: half great comedy and half great drama. And the fact that it doesn't bother me at all mere days after seeing "It's A Wonderful Life" is a sign that it's a worthy homage.

The Prestige - 8/10

Damn, I don't know what to even type about this. It starts slow (something that seems to be a trademark of Chris Nolan films) but when it gets going, it really gets going. Great acting from Hugh Jackman (who knew Wolverine would be an awesome actor when X-Men came out?), Christian Bale, and a loaded cast of fantastic talents that make the material shine. Hell, even David Bowie was pretty damn awesome in this. While the main twists aren't hard to figure out, the film works about as perfectly as its own magic trick principle in that it's a fantastic watch until the end.

American Dreamz (2006) - 4/10

Director: Paul Weitz (American Pie)

Cast: Hugh Grant, Mandy Moore, Dennis Quaid, Willem Dafoe, Chris Klein.

My Thoughts: I'm all for satire, and when it comes to American culture and politics, there is plenty of material available. But when you're going to make a movie that takes on so much and touches on so many sensitive subjects, you have a responsibility to either make it really accurate or at least funny. This effort is neither. The political aspect of it touches on everything Saturday Night Live has been covering since 2003, and although Dennis Quaid is good as President Staton, the de facto George W Bush, it comes off as silly. The other major element revolves around the fictional reality show American Dreamz (a not so subtle jab at American Idol), complete with its brash British host, cheesy camera work and over the top contestants. But while there is certainly plenty to be made fun of with regards to America's favourite TV show, I find this movie, made on a big $20 million dollar Hollywood budget, directed by the guy who made American Pie and starring a host of top celebrities, to come off as a little shallow. Theirs nothing offensively bad about "American Dreamz", yet I never really laughed, and I certainly never felt that the film said anything any of the other thousand anti-Bush movies or TV shows haven't covered infinitely.

Edited by Garmonbosia

Stranger Than Fiction (2006) - 7.5/10

Director: Marc Forster (Finding Neverland, Monster's Ball)

Cast: Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Queen Latifah

My Thoughts: The saying "Where there's smoke, there's fire" is often used in a cynical way, but when it comes to "Stranger Than Fiction", it carries a very positive connotation. It's enough that the project attracted Marc Forster, the Golden Globe nominated director of "Finding Neverland" and "Monster's Ball", but when your cast includes Academy Award winners like Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson as well as rising stars like Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Queen Latifah it follows to assume that there is some real meat to back the impressive brass up. And indeed the screenplay is very well written; it's consistent, funny and insightful. The brass delivers, as Will Ferrell and Emma Thompson both give great performances at opposite ends of the film. There's a little silliness in the third act that sends out some pretentious messages, but in the end the filmmaker's choose the right path. Very funny, and adequately heartwarming to warrant the buzz it has won.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)

I didn't have high hopes going into this movie, what with "Dream Child" and "Freddy's Dead" being crap, and have a strange concept. But the acting was good. I loved Heather, just as much as I enjoyed her as Nancy in Parts 1 and 3. Julie was another character I enjoyed. Didn't care too much for Dylan though, to me he seemed too much like Danny from The Shining. I also really liked Freddy's new look, definitly an improvement of how crappy his face looked in Parts 3-6. This was a good movie, and it's nice to see a series go out with a respectable movie (too bad I can't say the same thing for Friday The 13th, Halloween, or Child's Play).

7/10