What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Rocky Balboa

A fitting tribute to end Rocky I think, much better than Rocky V, this was the perfect ending I thought, the fifth film never felt like an ending to the franchise, but this was nice, as it was the emphasis of two different boxing worlds really. Kinda like Rock Vs Hogan at Wrestlemania. There were somethings that I thought weren't really needed, but I won't mention as it's spoilers. But in the end, a good film showing some old faces and I'm just a sucker for the Rocky films anyway.

XXX: State of the Union

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I find action movies similar to this enjoyable. Sure the dialog isn't the greatest, but I enjoy popcorn flicks. Some of the stuff in it was unbelievable but I don't gripe on things like that and just enjoy the movie for what it is, entertainment. I understand that it's an art form, but movies like XXX is just entertainment and nothing more. That and I kinda like Ice Cube. He's not good at acting per see, but he's good at being a badass.

Overall: 5.5/10

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993/4)

One of my favorite childhood movies. I own it on VHS, but haven't watched it in years. Just as spectacular as I remember. One of my favorite holiday movies, and I still love the long dancing and singing scenes.

9/10

The Prestige

Fantastic movie. Great acting from Jackman and Bale and, although it is a little farfetched in the end, and I personally found it easy to work out, a lot of people told me that they didn't clock until the very end what was going on, so it's a good twist anyway. Very interesting premise/plot too.

9/10

Employee Of The Month

Proof that a film doesn't have to be non-stop thrills, deep acting or a laugh riot to be good. I really enjoyed watching it and thought that Dane Cook was actually pretty good in it - although the show was stolen by Dax Shepard, who plays a great adversary to Cook's everyman. Cook reminds me a little of Ryan Reynolds, which is a pretty good thing to me. But yeah, not over-challenging, not one you'll cry with laughter at, not one full of spills and thrills, but one to sit back, relax, and enjoy.

8/10

Training Day

I picked it up on boxing day for $5. I only watched it once and that was when it was released so I didn't remember too much. I was young the first time so I didn't understand or appreciate a lot of the adult themes. This time I understood it all and really, really enjoyed the movie. Denzel Washington does an excellent job portraying his street smart, minipulative, crooked cop character while Ethan Hawke is a belivable by the book rookie. It was an excellent film and has moved into my top 3 movies of all time. I reccomend it to anyone who likes action movies with well paced plots.

9/10

Constantine: 7/10

A Time to Kill: 8.5/10

I'd never seen A Time to Kill and it was a good movie. McConaughey gave a really good performance in the movie, which was really his first big break (unless you count Dazed and Confused and even then it wasn't THAT big of a role in the movie.)

Scoop - 5/10

It's bad enough to have one Woody Allen character in a movie where he's off his game, but two performers playing virtually the same role? Scarlett Johansson is nothing if not devoted, and if there was more to work with I'm sure she could have pulled a solid film out of this but as is, it's just another in a long line of recent Allen comedic disappointments (except for Anything Else, which is awesome for Christina Ricci/Jason Biggs awesomeness). Some of this is sort of an artsy-fartsy homage to Seventh Seal and the rest is just a hodge podge of weaker versions of his earlier material. It's not that the material is now entirely unfunny or anything; it's just that it doesn't hold up well to recycling.

Blade Runner (1982)

Saw it for the first time last night. I was really into the plot, and the special effects amazed me for a 24/25 year old movie. I know it was a slow moving movie, which I'm okay with, but my interest dropped in a couple scenes. Overall, it was a very great movie, one of the better Sci-Fi films I've watched.

8.5/10

Beer League - 5/10

This was really funny in parts. There just weren't enough of those parts to make up for the long periods of dull. Artie Lange is a great comedian though, and I think when he works with Norm MacDonald he's one of the funniest guys around.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 8/10

This is about my third or fourth viewing, but it never stops being clever. I love that whole satirical feel of the picture and yet it has some great action moments as well.

(Still kinda pissed that the WB fucked it over in its release, too. It had so much more potential than $4 million in the US.)

Babel - 7.5/10

Like Syriana last year, this is an immense film that follows a number of different stories and slowly interweaves them. I'd say that this one is better because of Guillermo Arriaga's unflinching characterization and Alejandro González Iñárritu's passionate direction. The standout performance comes from newcomer Rinko Kikuchi, who plays Chieko, a deaf-mute who is struggling to cope with recent events in her life. It's a visually exhausting film, but a worthy one no less.

The Knights of Prosperity - 1x01 - Pilot - 7/10

Pretty good first episode. Nothing amazing or anything, but it was a fun show to watch. Finally ABC gets something funny for once. >_>

I can't say the same for In Case of Emergency, however. Wasn't a good episode. I will give it another shot next week, but if it still sucks then that's it for that.