What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

House of Wax (2005) - 4/10

This movie was not as bad as I thought it'd be. Still not a good movie though. Paris Hilton butchered this movie, added nothing to it. The only actors in this I commend are Jared Padalecki and Elisha Cuthbert, they made it watchable. The movie is too cliched, especially the crazy hunter at the beginning. The movie also has a lot of gore, and features many disgusting scenes (the ones Paris Hilton are in). If you got nothing better to do for 1h 50minutes, then you may as well watch this movie, but don't expect anything good.

The Terminator (1984) - 8.5/10

I saw Terminator 2 and 3 both a few years ago, but never watched the original until today. The series all of a sudden makes a lot more sense. I was surprised to see Arnold play the antagonist, but he plays the part well. I very much enjoyed the story, as well the relationship between Sarah and Kyle. One of my favorite sci-fi movies, but I still preferred Judgment Day (mainly because of the bonding between The Terminator and John, for me that's what made the movie amazing).

Smokin' Aces - 7.5/10

Great film with some brilliant performaces (from Piven and Reynolds in particular) and an original and clever story. Tries a bit hard to be Pulp Fiction at times with all the interlocking stories but for the whole, its a success.

The Truman Show (1998) - 8.5/10

One of Jim Carrrey's best acting performances. As much as I loved him in Ace Ventura, he truly shines in drama. I loved the plot, this is one of my favorite Jim Carrey movies.

Groundhog Day (1993) - 8.5/10

This movie is one of the reasons Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors. This movie also made me hate "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher.

The Wicker Man (2006) - 1.5/10

I'm still unawear on what this movie truly was. I liked it going in, I liked it kinda 45 minutes in, by the time the movie ends, I just hated it. The acting in this wasn't superb. Nicolas Cage was pretty good in it, but no one else is really worth mentioning. The movie never answered a lot of the questions, if any at all. The movie has no sense of logic. It features Nic Cage beating the shit out of a woman, it was never fully explained what was with the little girl in the car accident at the beginning of the movie that "resembles" Rowan. I normally like plot twists, but the one at the end of this movie actually made the movie worse. I don't mind mind sad endings, in a lot of movies they actually work. Not this time. Having Nic Cage's charcter burn alive was fucking terrible, made me drop 2 more points out of 10. And Willow just watching him die, not doing anything, made me hate this movie even more. Then I flipped over the disc, and watched the so called "alternate ending". It really wasn't an alternate ending. It just showed the visual of Cage getting beat up. It really was the same ending. This is a movie I really never to watch or speak of again.

Edit: After thinking about it more, I need to deduct marks for the movie having so many contradictions and plot holes.

Edited by Rashid

Do DVD Boxsets of a television show count? If so, might as well do these, saw these fairly recently:

Roseanne - Season 1

The first season of the successful comedy series. Season 1 never was one of the greater seasons, but it gave the series a nice start. It did have a couple week episodes (such as "Bridge Over Troubled Sonny") but the majority were pretty good. "Dear Mom and Dad" is my favorite episode of the season, with "Nightmare on Oak Street" and "Death and Stuff" close contenders.

8/10

Roseanne - Season 2

One big difference between Seasons 1 and 2, are this time around Roseanne's having work troubles, and goes through several jobs through the course of the season. It also features the shows first Halloween episode "BOO!" which is a series classic. The seasons highlights are "April Fools Day", "Inherit The Wind", and the season finale, "Happy Birthday" which plays a part in the series finale.

8.5/10

Edited by Rashid

The Pursuit of Happyness

Popped down to the cinema today and decided to take a look at this movie - and I wasn't unhappy with my decision at all. The story is a very intruging one which shows many morals and values which (perhaps) modern day society generally lacks today.

Without trying to give away anything, although you always know how the movie is going to pan out it is definatly a well acted and directed ending, it was left on just the right note for me and without that this movie would have felt totally unfulling in conclusion. The Pursuit of Happyness for me is a great movie, it's full of emotion and gets the mind thinking about how things are in your own life, and I love movies that make me think along those lines. The performance from Smith's son also is a very strong point, for his acting debut it was great. The connection displayed between the two Smith's characters in the movie was without a doubt linked together by their real-life relationship, but not to a level where you just saw them as being the Smiths, they were both their own characters - which was a definate plus point also.

I highly recommend any movie buffs go see this, a very nice, emotional and well acted film. The whole package is excellent although it just falls short of a ten for me.

9/10

Rear Window 8/10

Good film, hate the ending. For an hour and 45 minutes, its a good film, which does a great job of building suspense to the point where when you get the main dramatic scene near the end it is really tense and exciting (Hitchcock wasn't called the master of suspense for nothing).

Sadly, the explanation of it all, or the ultimate pay-off is shit. Luckily, this is only the last four minutes.

An hour and 49 minutes isn't too long to watch a film, but at times it feels too long to be watching this film, it could have done with being a bit shorter, but poor ending aside this is a great, suspenseful film, and need I tell you James Stewart was good?

Alpha Dogs - 4/10

This just felt like a big story told by an incapable cast and crew. Some of the actors give way over the top performances, while absurd action sequences and cliched dialogue gives one pause to consider the "based on a true story" tag as something to be taken VERY lightly. Ben Foster is great, Justin Timberlake is good, but this really isn't a worthwhile adaptation of what was really an intriguing story.

Rocky Balboa 7/10

Buy a ticket. Watch the first ten minutes to get re-aquainted, and catch-up on whats happened since last time. Leave the cinema. Come back for the last half an hour.

It's not that whats in between is THAT boring, but its just the most obvious filler material ever. Its just really 'there'. It also contains some of the most horrible, OTT 'ispiring', and yes I do use that term loosely, ham-fisted dialogue ever.

Paulie is funny throughout, a couple of good lines from Rocky, fairly good fight at the end.

So, yeah, re-read my first paragraph.

Edited by timmayy Phoenix-Saga

Guest President Ringiah Bartlet

Dreamgirls.

2.5/10.

This movie made me want to rip my ears out.

Edited by President Ringiah Bartlet

The Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn (8.5/10)

First time seeing a movie of the series. I was amazed at how good a cheesy B movie could be. It has the perfect blend of horror and comedy. Some scenes are hilarious while some may be frightful. Bruce Campbell's acting in this movie is top notch, he made this movie how great it was. This easily ranks among my favorite comedy movies list, AND my favorite horror movies list.

Employee of the Month

Ehh, it was good, but I don't get what all the hype was about. There were some parts that made me chuckle, but it wasn't a "laugh riot". The best part about the movie was definately Jorge (played by Efren Ramirez). Overall, it was worth the rent, but definately not something I am going to go buy.

I think the funniest part was the deleted scene with the training video. Meh, just me. 5/10

Against the Wall:Quality of Life

Ok, ok, I originally rented this movie just because Lane Garrison (Tweener on Prison Break) was in it, and Tweener was my favorite character on the show. I figured it would be horrible. I mean, come on, it's about two graffiti artists. It's actually a really good story. After being arrested and told if they are caught vandalizing property again, they would be put in jail, Heir (Lane's character) decides to try and better himself. Goes to work for his dad, tries to get a job. Meanwhile, Vain (played by Brian Burnam) continues to paint and do drugs and get drunk. Shows what happens when two friends just grow apart after a big conflict, and the climax of the movie had me on the edge of my seat!

Definately WAYY better than I was expecting. 8/10

Edited by B-Rad

Pursuit of Happyness: 8/10

A very good and upbeat film with another solid performance by Will Smith.

The Hitcher - 6/10

It was pretty good for a movie over just an hour and a half. The 18-wheeler scene was fucking disgusting. Sean Bean continues to prove that he might be one of my favorite actors next to Edward Norton and Clive Owen. I still don't get why he went on a little murder spree, though. Because he wanted to die? What?

Rope 7.5/10

First 25 minutes are incredibly boring ,then Jimmy Stewart comes in and saves it for a while, it gets duller again then has quite a good finish.

It's Hitchcock, so the tension builds very well to a very tense finish to the film.