What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Joe Dirt (7/10)

A good nonsense comedy that doesn't take itself seriously. It's entertaining and funny.

Spiderman (2002) (8.5/10)

One of the top 5 super hero movies I've ever seen. Does a great job at staying faithful to the comic book series. The leading and supporting cast deliver fairly good to great acting performances. For a fairly lengthy movie (2 hours) it doesn't have any boring stretches.

Within The Woods (1979) (6/10)

A short 30minute movie directed by Sam Raimi a couple years before he made "The Evil Dead". Considered to be the prequel to the series. For what it was, it was entertaining. Only had a couple characters, had a budget of around $1500 and extremely bad quality. Though still a fun movie, that fans of the ED Trilogy should see. It can be found on YouTube.

Edited by Rashid

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

2/10

I really didn't enjoy this movie at all. It seemed like a cheap re-make of the original, despite the fact that it was supposed to be the "prequel". My family loved it, but I just didn't see it as entertaining at all.

Jackass Number Two

8/10

I actually liked this a lot more than the first movie. It had a lot of laugh out loud moments, and I really wish I would have seen it in theatres now. It was a big step up from the first one, and I loved the terrorist bit. However, it did have a few pointless scenes that I really didn't think should have made it into the movie because they didn't seem to fit in really.

Dirt - Pilot - 4/10

Bland, pretentious, self-pitying and boring. Courtney Cox is weak and the stuff with Don is just weird. I might have to watch through the Carly Pope episodes though.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated - 6/10

Laudable for the director's achievements in going where others have tried and failed, as well as the attempt to bring some of the information on a corrupt system to light. Still, it often comes off as sanctimonious, lopsided and inconsistent. It's slightly above average infotainment that is made worthy by the gravity of its subject.

Guest President Ringiah Bartlet

The Good Shepherd - 7/10.

okay I guess. Longish at times, but it's still cool. Nothing too mindblowing though. I may be over loving it because I love this sort of subject matter. I also loved it when

They threw the son's wife out of the plane, the shots were just amazing.

Edited by President Ringiah Bartlet

The Evil Dead: 8/10

Not as good as 2, obviously, 2 did have a budget 10 times larger. But for the little money this movie it, I was very impressed. Looked like a lot for only 1/3 of a million dollars. The movie adds more suspense that the sequel which is nice, mostly at the beginning. Overall, it's just a fun movie.

Once Upon A Time In Mexico: 7.5/10

Never saw the first, but I saw this and Desperado, so I understand the story for the most part. The movie had a cool feeling to it. I loved Johnny Depp's character in this, as well as several others.

Reservoir Dogs: 10/10

Just saw it for the first time and it literally blew me away. Much better than Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction which was not what I was expecting. I absolutely loved everything about this movie, the acting, the sequence of the scenes, the characters, the dialogue. No complaints. This is the only movie I ever gave 10/10 with the exception of The Wizard of Oz, so I guess this is my 2nd favorite movie.

Guest President Ringiah Bartlet

Waking the Dead. 6/10.

This was very, very good and awesome. Until that faggot ass tool fag-gay, jackass abomination of an ending. Happy-go-lucky optimist shit. What was good though, was that the DVD had loads of deleted scenes and like four of them was Jennifer Connelly naked and being fucked.

Awesome.

United 93: 8.5/10

A great film, and I loved the directorial style of it. A great ensemble too.

Pan's Labyrinth - 8.5/10

Film is clearly the best indication right now that outsourcing to Mexico works. 3 of the best films of the year all directed by 3 of that country's best. This film is no exception. Visually exciting, vividly directed and performed and written in a familiar yet unique style, a movie like this holds a mirror up to American cinema to show what it's so sorely lacking.

Dreamgirls: 7/10

Some good performances(Beyonce) and Oscar winning performances(Jennifer Hudson, who is absolutely fantastic) make it a fun night at the movies. I didn't like some of the songs, and the third act sort of slowed down, but overall it was a good film.

Smokin Aces - 5/10

It was decent escapist action popcorn for the first 90 minutes, but a ridiculous and unintentionally silly ending ruined it for me. If the ending had been lighter or the rest of the film had been a little heavier I could have been okay with what was, for the most part, a pretty cool action flick. But both being the way they are, it's a marginal fail and a BIG disappointment.

Beaty, I can see your problem with the ending, but the only problem I had with the ending was that it went on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Smokin' Aces - 7/10

I'm a sucker for super ultra-violent macho action movies (in the vein of Domino) and this one did manage to fit the bill. Affleck was the bomb, Piven can always work a good asshole, and Martin Henderson was impressive in the fact that I didn't even know it was Martin Henderson until the end and Reynolds, Bateman, Liotta, and...screw it, everyone in the movie was pretty awesome. My only real problem was that if you compared Joe Carnahan here with the Joe Carnahan who directed Narc, you'd notice that Carnahan seems to fit to just emulate the Tony Scott/Guy Ritchie style now rather than do what made Narc unique. If you compare to Narc, it's a disappointment, but if you just need an action movie with a hell of a lot of shooting, oh, this does the trick.

Apocalypto

Ugh, where to begin? Horrible, horrible movie. The whole show is just an excuse for Mel Gibson to jerk off to his naked men snuff film fetish, because there's absolutely nothing of substance here. Hardly any plot, no characters, no depth -- nothing for anyone to care remotely about, except watching a bunch of naked men run through the jungle and kill each other. It doesn't even do that well, with only maybe 1 or 2 deaths of note. The only thing memorable about the show is probably at the part where they reach the temples, and that's about it.

Gets a 2/10 from me.

Edited by Gongsun Zan

Blood Diamond

Wasn't really expecting much from this, but I thought it was an excellent film, really harsh in places too, and a shit load of killing going on throughout it. A really entertaining film, but some of the plot really reminded me of the movie Hook for some reason, however on the whole, an excellent film.

Rating: 8/10

425px-Cover-akira.jpg

Akira (1988): 9/10

I've wanted to see this for years, and I noticed someone uploaded it all on YouTube, so I took my opertunity to watch it. It lived up the hype all right. I love the complexity of the plot, at times I didn't know what was going on, but for the most part, I got it. The animation looks amazing even by todays standards, and the movies 19 years old. Akira just looks stunning. It's not for everyone however, as it does have a lot of violence (well a lot by American standards, average compared to other Japanese movies I've seen). This ranks as my 2nd favorite Anime movie (#1 being Ninja Scroll).

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 8/10

Watching it again, I was scared that it wouldn't live up to my own grade that I gave it the first time, but the final sequences are so awe-striking and the film is so funny, that I can forgive its flaws.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - 9/10

This was the first time I had seen the movie, and it was at my friends house. I thought it was amazing and sad. The fighting parts were well done and some were funny because he would just go around fighting people. It's very sad what happened to Bruce. I really suggest you guys see this movie if you haven't.

hostel.jpg

Hostel: 6/10

For a movie that got a quote saying: 'It's the bloodiest, goriest, film you'll ever, ever see.' or something similar, it didn't live up to it.

Sure there was gore, but with something like that being said, I was expecting to hurl or something. Though, the 'Making Of' Featurettes made me realise Eli Roth is a god.

Edited by PkmnRangerJ