What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Funnily enough my only complaint is that we never really see Solomon before he was captured, which makes it a little bit harder to care at first. Obviously it's pretty horrible what happens to him, but I found myself asking how he was a free man. I don't know much about slavery in the US, it's not really something that's ever taught over here, so I was a little confused as to how he was free and so on. It'd have been nice to get a little bit of his daily life in there, just let us get to know him a little better beforehand - it'd have made the horror strike even harder.

Tonight my film of choice was The To Do List, notable for being that film where Aubrey Plaza makes a bunch of sex faces and does stuff. It was... okay! Funny bits here and there, Hader was reliably funny as ever and Clark Gregg was a ton of fun. Plaza did a great job, but overall the film just felt like it didn't really have a message to tell? I mean, I guess there kinda was at the end, but it felt fairly tacked on, like they wrote the story before knowing what they wanted to say. It was good enough in the end, though. I wouldn't say anyone needs to see it, but once it shows up on Netflix, it's worth a watch if you're looking for a quirky indie film.

I'd probably say Safety Not Guaranteed is a better bet if you haven't seen that, though. The supporting cast isn't as good, but it was stronger film overall. Fun ending too, if a little "wait, what?".

Jobs

It takes a lot for me to be genuinely disappointed with a movie, my opinion is normally very yay or nay, but this movie, eugh.

2 hours of "Hey, everybody (except Wozniak) is an asshole, nobody knows how to do their job properly, oh but look, he's a good guy now with a family, no, wait, he's an asshole again."

I have no idea whatever happened in Steve Jobs' life except there were a lot of assholes.

And he was king asshole, but my god was he a genius. Right? What say you? "Yeah. Totes a dick, but I love his braaaaaain!" I know, right! What about you? "I fucking hate him, but what a fucking Einstein, bro."

That movie was horrible.

• Like 2

Fruitvale Station, Michael B. Jordan makes this film. I don't get it, why isn't he nominated for a Oscar?

Came out too early, they didn't campaign for it.

So I just watched Computer Chess... Anyone want to try explaining to me why this is being so heavily praised and not being dismissed as a glorified student film? Because either I'm dumb or this movie was, but it can't be neither.

Before Midnight

Amazing. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are just magic on screen together. The Jesse and Celine characters are just so wonderful. I don't care about the Oscars anymore, but they definitely deserve theirs.

Necessary Evil: Super Villains of DC Comics

It was done really well, they got guys like CM Punk, Guilermo Del Toro and some guy from Hart Of Dixie to appear in it. Really fun and had some interesting tidbits, though the ending where they're trying to sell the New 52 is pretty laughable.

I honestly believe that no matter what the Academy says, they only give a damn about movies that campaign to be nominated.

Exactly. If you don't campaign and it comes out before November, you have no chance. This is why Gary Oldman has never won an Oscar, he doesn't campaign.

I thought it was great. Dicaprio was incredible, and it was a ton of fun. Behind 12 Years A Slave and a few others for me in the year's pecking order, but really great stuff.

Oh, I thought it was a ton of fun as well, but I guess all the hype of it being the best movie this year, coupled with the length, really brought it down for me.

The length, especially. Like, a lot of the debauchery was what made it so much fun, but there were a few unnecessary scenes, like:

The gay butler scenes. I mean, they were a blast, I laughed my ass off at DiCaprio leaping off his couch and the punch, but it didn't exactly lead anywhere.

I have it as 19th on my list of 2013 In Film rankings on Letterboxd now, but then again, my list is weird as hell (Flashpoint Paradox is still a Top 5!). I'm already expecting it to go into the twenties of my film rankings, as I still have stuff like American Hustle, Her, Our Of The Furnace and Dallas Buyers Club to watch.

Grudge Match

This film absolutely sucked. It had so much potential, but they blew it by trying to make what would have been an awesome sports comedy into some piece of shit drama that they added bits of comedy. Basically, if you've seen the trailer, you've seen most of the good parts of this film. Kim Basinger is still smoking hot, though.