What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I'd recommend everyone here watch a documentary called Gaea Girls which follows the training of one hopeful at Gaea Japan, the female wrestling promotion. It doesn't touch of the choreographed side enough in my opinion, but it's a pretty brutal look at the training side of wrestling.

• Like 2

Dead Alive

I...have no words.

Except "amazing", right?

Anyway, there's this new HBO documentary called Paycheck To Paycheck: The Life And Times of Katrina Gilbert. It's fairly short - just an hour and 15 minutes - and it follows a single working mother of 3 in Tennessee, chronicling her financial difficulties and trying to raise awareness of how many single mothers live at or below the poverty line in the US alone. It's incredibly sad.

We watched Muppets Most Wanted last night. I liked it quite a bit. The musical numbers are all great--better than the first movie even (except "Life's a Happy Song," which is better than every song in every movie ever)--but the gags and the movie itself are just a little bit weaker. It's too long and with too many subplots and so a lot of the Muppets get lost (especially Walter). But it's worth checking out anyway if you liked the first one and you can get behind the idea that Celine Dion can make a movie better.

Musical highlight, tragically not sung by Constantine (the world's most dangerous frog, whose voice cracks me up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4g4oV8lK4s

But it is Bret from Flight of the Conchords, so there's that.

Oh and if that doesn't sell you, know that there is a song-and-dance number featuring Danny Trejo and Hornswoggle.

• Like 1

Re: Muppets Most Wanted

I also saw it yesterday and this was what I was going to come in here and post (but forgot):

"Muppets Most Wanted is distinctly inferior to their previous outing. I'm sure the quality of said last film will have most people happy to give this one its chance, but if you decide not to bother for whatever reason, at least your loss will be minimal."

So...hmm. :/

I liked the caper story a lot. It's very different from the first one, more explicitly a movie musical than the first one was (more songs to convey the plot, fewer breakdowns into fucking "We Built This City"). It's definitely not as good, but I had a good time.

"Me Party" was my least favorite song in The Muppets I think.

And yeah, Constantine was fantastic. The moment he switches places with Kermit is when the movie really takes off and stays great for a good while. "I'll Get You What You Want" is my favorite too, though whatever "I'm Number One, He's Number Two" is properly called is also rad.