What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I watched The Breakfast Club for the first time just now. Not sure why it took me so long, but it's pretty great. I forgot how behind I am with films, considering I just watched Skyfall for the first time yesterday (also the first Bond film I've ever seen...) and that was good, too.

Small Soldiers (1998)

God, I forgot how much this movie actually affected my childhood. This and Toy Story was the main reason I spent most of it trying to make my toys come alive. I'd talk to them every night in hopes of them talking back somehow. It also has my first crush in my entire life in Kirsten Dunst. Suffice to say this will probably be my favorite movie-watching experience of the year.

• Like 3

Captain America is a ton of fun. Minor spoiler, and post-credit spoiler below.

The Dr. Strange namedrop made me jump out of my seat. First post-credit scene was great, too. Didn't know what to expect, so Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver was very cool.

I finally finished watching The Godfather. I watched about 2 hours of it at least a couple of months ago and finally managed to finish it off. Great film.

...and now I'm watching Taxi Driver.

• Like 1

I actually watched Paranormal Activity: The Marked One's recently...!

It wasn't bad, really fucking nice to see one of those god damn witches take a shotgun to the stomach, too. Horror is like wrestling - you need to throw us a little justice once in a while. Holy shit at the ending, too!

• Like 1

Rocky Balboa, which was cool because usually when you do flashbacks in a movie you need to use different actors, or makeup, and in this they, obviously, just used the old footage from the Rocky films. It wasn't the greatest movie ever, but it was a good ending to the story of Rocky.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which was just really fucking good. Great movie, awesome soundtrack. I didn't have those kinds of experiences in high school, either because I played sports and was somewhat popular, or because it didn't seem like there was that much bullying at my high school, but I could still relate. Plus, Ezra Miller is fucking awesome.

• Like 1

Rocky Balboa, which was cool because usually when you do flashbacks in a movie you need to use different actors, or makeup, and in this they, obviously, just used the old footage from the Rocky films. It wasn't the greatest movie ever, but it was a good ending to the story of Rocky.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which was just really fucking good. Great movie, awesome soundtrack. I didn't have those kinds of experiences in high school, either because I played sports and was somewhat popular, or because it didn't seem like there was that much bullying at my high school, but I could still relate. Plus, Ezra Miller is fucking awesome.

It won't actually be the last we see of Rocky. He'll be around for the spinoff centered around Apollo Creed's son.

And yes, Ezra Miller is fucking awesome.

Harryhausen is one of my absolute heroes. Love his stuff to bits.

Anyway, on Saturday night I went to see Muppets Most Wanted. It's bloody lovely. Not sure if I enjoyed it as much as the first one; there was no one quite as solid as Segal and Adams, and the first one was very much a Muppet Show movie, whereas this was a caper, so it was a very different dynamic. Constantine is amazing, though, there were some brilliant gags, and it made me not dislike Tina Fey and Ricky Gervais for the duration, so it did something right. Music was phenomenal, Jermaine Clement was so good I didn't even realise it was him. And I can't remember the last time I laughed as much at a simple phrase as I did at;

"Good night, Danny Trejo"