What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Interstellar.

Am I science now? Is this space?

I don't even fucking know, man.

I like my science fiction a lot better with Bill Paxton screaming, but this was definitely good? I don't even know if I can make an opinion on it, because it fucking lost me by the end.

Interstellar.

Am I science now? Is this space?

I don't even fucking know, man.

I like my science fiction a lot better with Bill Paxton screaming, but this was definitely good? I don't even know if I can make an opinion on it, because it fucking lost me by the end.

Lost you in a bad way? Like you had no idea what was happening?

I so need to see it a second time, it's killing me.

• Like 1

It's got a fair bit better now they're into the games, but they spent so long boring me by (badly) trying to get me to like everyone that I wound up disliking them, so whilst the events are interesting, I'm not really invested in anyone's survival.

Maybe it's my fault for expecting more of the games in a film titled The Hunger Games >_>

I hate the Hunger Games films. They bore me to tears. Except for Woody Harrelson and PSH in the second one, the films suck. They spend way too much fucking time talking about her dresses, the characters are incredibly boring, those guys at the Capitol are ridiculous and annoying and I can't stand them nor take them seriously, and the action is filtered into sections and doesn't feel like it flows well. The books are like a million times better.

I knew I'd enjoy The Usual Suspects (1995), but having had the twist already spoiled for me simply by a couple of decades of cultural osmosis...it took something away from the viewing experience, I feel.

Then again it's not like I was ever 'surprised' by Vader being Luke's father or a number of other major twists in films that are so famous that everyone knows them anyway. Maybe I just hope for too much. :shifty:

Reservoir Dogs was pretty good, although the number/length of some of the rambling conversations could probably do with having been cut down a bit since they reached the point of not-adding-much. Of course, since the film is already down to about 95 minutes, they would probably have to be replaced with...something more plot-like. :shifty: But yeah, I've liked most Tarantino films I've seen and this is no exception. It's nowhere near the top of the list - but that's to be expected back when he was still learning his craft.

Somehow I expected The Expendables to be more ridiculous than it was. Don't get me wrong - every explosion is at least 5 times bigger/longer than it should ever have been - but I dunno. This doesn't dampen the mindless fun from the 'parade of action guys' aspect and the miscellaneous fight pairings (Stallone vs. Austin, etc.), so I still feel like I got what I came for.

The Last King of Scotland was excellent. No surprises there. McAvoy and Whitaker both brought the goods.

This week on 365, HD-DVD week:

Transformers

It's a good job I bought a second copy of this for 10p the other week as the first one I had started stuttering during the intro. No idea why, never did that when I tried watching it before. I was a bit wary of this beforehand given how everyone seems to have taken shots at it over the years, as well as the ensuing franchise and Michael Bay in general but I enjoyed it. Further investigation indicates that it's the sequel when it truly starts to suck. On the Michael Bay front, when a giant robot has blown up an entire US Army base within the first five minutes, you can see where he gets his reputation. I was a little worried that the robots would have the same problem I had with the Pacific Rim trailer, just finding them a bit bland and uniform in design but the splashes of colour that the Autobots have helps. I still have no Earthly idea why the first words out of Jazz's mouth are pretty much 'What's up, bitches?' though. Not that some of the human dialogue is much better, with that whole 'Sam's happy time' scene and the odd acting of the Sector Seven guy. And though Sam's pheromone levels suggest he wants to mate with the female, I'm still in the extreme minority who isn't particularly fussed by Megan Fox.

Stardust

Looking at the spines of the various HD-DVD's I have, it's plain to see who were the big supporters. It's basically Warner Bros and Universal logos as far as the eye can see, apart from Transformers (though I guess Dreamworks did used to be owned by Universal) and here where we just have 'MARV'. There's a real British feel to things here with the seven princes pitted against one another, bumping each other off to be the last man standing to inherit the crown, played by the likes of Mark Strong, Jason Flemyng, Mark Heap, David Walliams and even, oddly, Adam Buxton. The dead princes are all stuck in limbo until one finally does become King so they'll pop up from time to time which is fun. Even Ricky Gervais shows his face as a shop keeper, though he's pretty much playing himself. There's a touch of Hollwood too with Michelle Pfiefer, Claire Danes and Robert de Niro. de Niro being especially great as the sky pirate, lightning catcher Captain Shakespeare, a man with a fearsome reputation but with a heart of gold and the wardrobe of a Princess.

Mr Bean's Holiday

The whole universal nature of Mr Bean comes into play here as he wins a trip to France. He barely spoke English at home so at least he's about to turn into every British holidaymaker ever who just shouts 'Egg and chips' in a French accent or something. There's one critic listed on Wikipedia noting how the character has been toned down from the mean-spirited one of the TV show but, I dunno. He pretty much points and laughs as he makes a man miss his train, though he does see the error of his ways when he realizes the man's son is on board and that forms the meat and potatoes of the film as he endevours to reunite the pair. It's kind of annoying at first as a series of cock ups lead to him losing his luggage, tickets, passport etc etc but it picks up with some quite twisted moments including Bean goose stepping around the set of what appears to be the set of a war film but is actually a yoghurt commercial. That and repeated attempts to call the mobile of the boy's father lead to them inadvertently causing a man to commit suicide. Yeah, real kid friendly this one. I can see how it got rated as low as G in America. I think the climax is really great, with Willem Dafoe playing a pretentious movie director premiering his latest project at the Cannes Film Festival, boring all in attendance until Bean turns up and manages to win them round with magnificent on-the-fly edit as he works in everything he's recorded of his trip up to that point.

Looks very nice with moments like the thousands of arrows blotting out the sun but otherwise not very interesting as it flip flops between battles and politicking, even if the latter does have Dominic West. I found the image of this really buff guys with their 6 packs running around in underpants and capes rather amusing though. The HD-DVD also comes with some form of Risk looking game, never bothered trying it though.

Doom

After Stardust, this was the second movie to feature Dexter Fletcher, which was enough to throw me without the fact that his character had no legs, rolled around on a pair of wheels and had the name 'Pinky'. This movie felt like two thirds of just following around these soldiers in the dark whilst they were looking for stuff, at least they had flashlights in their guns so the movie people learned something from Doom 3. The whole 'FPS' scene was kinda cool but I think looked a bit naff by the end when he was fighting the monster form of Pinky, though I did laugh at him turning into a monster and keeping his wheels. The Rock's character gradually going a bit crazy and 'Shoot them all, let God sort them out' made for a nice twist and kept things from being totally bland.

Swordfish

This one kind of loses itself in a sea of techno babble and coming from different directions with different branches of the police, government and corrupt senators but it had some fun, over-the-top action with Battle Royale style collars that will blow up hostages and 15lbs of ball bearings with them. That and the absurdity of the bad guys making their getaway on a tricked out bus that get's picked up by a helicopter and ends up being held by only two wires, leaving it hanging horizontally as everyone tumbles to the back and Vinnie Jones goes flying out the back window. Except, Travolta's character wouldn't want you to think of him as the bad guy because he intends to spend part of the stolen $9.5b on nuclear warheads to bomb terrorists with.

Blade Runner

At the risk of being banned by Srar, wasn't a fan of this. Kinda like 300, it looked really nice with shots of the city and instances of future technology like flying cars but I otherwise wasn't that engaged with it.