Sign in to follow this  
BlackFlagg

What Did You Watch Today?

I finally watched The Death Of Stalin. It was brilliant.

Very darkly funny (a couple of lines in particular had me in hysterics), and superbly cast. Simon Russell Beale is just revolting and detestable as Beria, Buscemi as Khruschev is inspired casting, Palin as Molotov just plays to his strengths perfectly, and Jason Isaacs Zhukov is absolutely brilliant.

One of the best films I've seen in a long, long time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

I finally watched The Death Of Stalin. It was brilliant.

Very darkly funny (a couple of lines in particular had me in hysterics), and superbly cast. Simon Russell Beale is just revolting and detestable as Beria, Buscemi as Khruschev is inspired casting, Palin as Molotov just plays to his strengths perfectly, and Jason Isaacs Zhukov is absolutely brilliant.

One of the best films I've seen in a long, long time.

Cockney Stalin.

That's one for CIWW I think.

• Like 1

As good as Cockney Stalin is, the highlight for me in terms of the incongruous accents was either Zhukov or Paul Whitehouse as Mikoyan, after Beria's death, grumbling, "I'm knackered, it's been a right busy week".

• Like 1

Yorkshire Zhukov definitely wins. Totally stole every scene he was in.

• Like 2

Just now, Skummy said:

As good as Cockney Stalin is, the highlight for me in terms of the incongruous accents was either Zhukov or Paul Whitehouse as Mikoyan, after Beria's death, grumbling, "I'm knackered, it's been a right busy week".

To be fair Yorkshire Zhukov was by far the best thing I've seen in a film for a long, long time. I read a little interview with Armando Iannucci and he said that reviewers in Russia liked that they didn't put on bad Russian accents and instead just went with their natural ones.

I might have to watch it again.

Decided to watch another movie I've been meaning to get round to since it came out, The Limehouse Golem.

Absolutely loved it. Wonderfully shot and directed, brilliant atmosphere. Some bits were a tad gimmicky, but mostly excellent, and Bill Nighy is fantastic. A story very much in my area of interest, though, so may be biased in that regard.

• Like 1

Watched The Incredibles 2 and Ant Man and The Wasp last night. Both were outstanding.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2018 at 23:32, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

Saw Hereditary. I have mixed feelings.

Been playing around with going to see it, all reviews I’ve seen have been amazing.

what was/wasn’t good about it?

Edited by Pogue Mahone

My criticism may be unfair. I loved it early on, then it went in a direction I didn’t necessarily want it to. There’s also a running mental illness theme and I’m not settled on whether it was handled well.

watched american made last night, very enjoyable compared to what i expected

Skyscraper is going to be on How Did This Get Made? at some point. 

And I mean that as a compliment.

Edited by livid

All of the Rock's movie ideas seem to have been come out of a Who's Line is it Anyway? game.

"What if it's the Rock as..."

pulls a piece of paper out of a hat

"A firefighter! And..."

pulls another piece of paper out of the hat

"An earthquake! Ready? 1, 2, go!"

45 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

All of the Rock's movie ideas seem to have been come out of a Who's Line is it Anyway? game.

"What if it's the Rock as..."

pulls a piece of paper out of a hat

"A firefighter! And..."

pulls another piece of paper out of the hat

"An earthquake! Ready? 1, 2, go!"

Rock threw some shade on twitter today when someone told him all his movies have the same plot.

It's like nobody gets the high art form he's producing year in and year out! :angry:

Hey, in Rampage he only had to save his friend, okay.

I mean, his friend was a giant frenzied albino gorilla who was friends with a flying wolf who had porcupine spines that it could throw at helicopters...

• Like 2

Should have said he keeps playing himself, better case for it. Half expecting him to put whatever film he's in next on pause for a moment half way through to do a peoples elbow on the villain.

I watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom today...

qnfKpIw.png

Finished Master of None today. Fantastic show. Dev's father (Aziz's actual real life father) is an absolute delight.

• Like 1

I watched A Ghost Story last night because Will Oldham/Bonnie 'Prince' Billy was it.

Unfortunately, Casey Affleck is also in it. - But he spends most of the film under a literal sheet being a dumb ghost. Which is an absurd visual. 

It had a good concept (man dies and becomes a ghost and haunts his own house). But the execution is just a bit off. I'm all for pretentious, artsy and absurd filmmaking but it didn't have enough heart about it.

Hereditary: Dunno what I think of this. I think I like it? However much you can "like" something so relentless tense and unsettling. Definitely think I enjoyed the first half more than the second.

Isle of Dogs: I loved it. Surprised by just how sweet and how much heart it had, likeable characters, beautiful visuals. Usual Wes Anderson style and stuff too which I generally am a fan of. 

On 21/07/2018 at 13:23, Hobo said:

I watched A Ghost Story last night because Will Oldham/Bonnie 'Prince' Billy was it.

Unfortunately, Casey Affleck is also in it. - But he spends most of the film under a literal sheet being a dumb ghost. Which is an absurd visual. 

It had a good concept (man dies and becomes a ghost and haunts his own house). But the execution is just a bit off. I'm all for pretentious, artsy and absurd filmmaking but it didn't have enough heart about it.

Movie was terrible.

theres a pie eating scene that lasts TEN FREAKING MINUTES! Ten minutes, fork clanging off plate, nothing else happening.