What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

So the vast bulk of Close Encounters of the Third Kind is pretty fucking dull. Basically everything except the very beginning and the very end. I care not for any of these losers and their varying degrees of obsessive crazy.

There's a scene where, in the background, the guy's kid is watching Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2th Century...and I basically spent the next half-hour really-really-really wanting to watch that cartoon instead of the actual movie.

Incidentally, said cartoon is here and it is, of course, wonderful:

http://vimeo.com/64344734

Speaking of awful cheap Hollywood stuff that no-one wanted, the 3D abuse in A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas is tacky and awful, as 3D is 99% of the time (less so since I'm watching it in 2D because I don't hate myself that much). I'm about 20 minutes in and I'm already tired of it.

EDIT: Plus side, it gets better as the film goes on (the film itself, not the 3D).

The final Hobbit movie is solid enough fare. I suspect that they took the criticism of LOTR having 'too many endings' to heart and so instead glossed over most of the fallout in this one. Presumably what we're supposed to take away is "and now that the bad guys are dead, the others all eventually figured out their differences in some way".

The armies all have things they want either inside the mountain (either specific pieces of treasure or the great mass of it) or the mountain itself (strategic location).

Smaug is dealt with fairly early, yeah.

Guardians of the Galaxy was fucking amazing. I can't decide between it and Avengers but holy fuck what a movie. Can't pick between Starlord, Drax or Groot. They were all so good.

• Like 3

I'm 50 minutes through the 77 minute Willow Creek and am bored to tears. It has basically been 50 minutes of jack shit.

EDIT: Oh God let it be over. The last ten minutes has literally just been the two leads sitting in a tent trying to figure out noises. I'm not even using hyperbole.

EDIT 2: 77 fucking minutes for a really shitty and predictable jump shock. This may be the worst film I ever saw.