MMA News and Discussion Thread

And I dunno what its like over in the US, but over here most of the media seats go untaken as the media has no real interest in review the sport unless they're calling it 'human cockfighting' and how it is degrading society by promoting violence. A guy I know writes for a few MMA websites and stuff and so got a free ticket to the Manchester show, he ended up sitting next to a guy from the Daily Mail. The reporter turned up about five fights in and left before the main event, having said he'd already written up his article. Pathetic. Plus you wouldn't believe the inaccuracies all articles published in mainstream media were filled with, seriously if they can get stuff so baly incorrect, it makes you wonder how they manage with more complex issues that can't be checked online.

Weigh-In will be shown on ESPNEWS @ 7pm EST. The 6pm of Sportscenter tonight will do some analysis and interview Chuck apprently. This will be the first time MMA has had any sort of pre-fight coverage on ESPN (not counting small past interviews shown directly on ESPNEWS).

Let me put it this way, I got excellent seats for Couture/Liddell 3 for $700. It's pricey, but it was so worth it sitting just a few rows from Jason Biggs (who flipped me off), right behind Quinton Jackson, and behind me was Criss Angel.

I'll admit that's a hell of a pricey ticket, but it's just so worth it. The atmosphere is great. I got to sit next to a guy wearing a kilt and we talked a lot about MMA and critiqued the fights and everything. Afterwards, I got to meet a bunch of fighters such as Nate Quarry, Josh Barnett, and even Dana White himself. I also saw Elvis in all his post-match glory style in his fighting attire, a face full of red, and an ice pack bigger than his head.

If you ever get the chance to go to an event, do it. It's pricey, but worth it.

Edited by Sire LL

Yeah, they showed a pretaped interview with Chuck this morning on TSN during Sportscentre. It was kind of a basic interview, nothing in depth really. Chuck was asked if MMA was catching up and taking over boxing's place, talk about the comments made by boxers (saying his 135 pound fighters could beat Mayweather within a minute), talked about the appeal of MMA, and quickly commented on his rematch with Jackson. Still, Rod Smith (TSN broadcaster, not the Denver Broncos receiver) referred to MMA using the dreaded "ultimate fighting" label. Also, they showed some clips of fights (mostly brawling exchanges) and their was a brief overdub addressing the UFC rising popularity before the interview was shown.

Nothing groundbreaking, but it's nice to see that TSN may be following suit with their American counterparts with their UFC coverage. It's seems like it's only a matter of time until the Score in Canada covers it too, as they already air Canadian MMA events and have been showing the betting lines for UFC main events for a while now.

And everybody knows the Score dominates all sporting television.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Rogan and some boxing promotor were just on in a discussion. Rogan owned him, but I agreed with the boxing guy on both Chuck & Mayweather are right that neither can cross over.

Chuck is coming up later in the show. They also gave a breif history and showed PPV numbers for them, HBO boxing, and the WWE. UFC trumped both, with that being Boxings 2nd biggest year on PPV. Boxing was third.

Also UFC was featured on Around the Horn (where Marriotti said he wasn't interested in this bloodsport of eye gouging and so forth) and PTI. Both were asking which is bigger this weekend, UFC or Indy 500... Indy 500, it's on network free tv.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Filho to WEC? What? Why? Who's he going to fight in WEC? Jason Miller? Listen, Jason Miller + UFC = Dollars Signs. You bring him in, the fans will love him, he's a mix of Chris Leben and a wigger Quinton Jackson. The fans would him love him. They'll love Miller's in your face, unconventional style too. Don't waste him by risking a loss against the human carpet cleaner that is Paulo Filho.

Plus, I need to see Denis Kang whoop Filho's ass ASAP!

Speaking of Kang, there's another one I haven't heard anything about in awhile. He's obviously primed to be a title contender in the UFC and he hasn't even fought there yet... Since Pride may be the 'B' team now, I wonder if they'll bring Kang over as well. Denis Kang vs. Rich Franklin is one of my top 10 potential dream matches I'd like to see as result of the purchase.

Filho to WEC? What? Why? Who's he going to fight in WEC? Jason Miller? Listen, Jason Miller + UFC = Dollars Signs. You bring him in, the fans will love him, he's a mix of Chris Leben and a wigger Quinton Jackson. The fans would him love him. They'll love Miller's in your face, unconventional style too. Don't waste him by risking a loss against the human carpet cleaner that is Paulo Filho.

Plus, I need to see Denis Kang whoop Filho's ass ASAP!

Speaking of Kang, there's another one I haven't heard anything about in awhile. He's obviously primed to be a title contender in the UFC and he hasn't even fought there yet... Since Pride may be the 'B' team now, I wonder if they'll bring Kang over as well. Denis Kang vs. Rich Franklin is one of my top 10 potential dream matches I'd like to see as result of the purchase.

That forum for boxing fans really does boxing no good. They all just come off as ignorant jackasses in fairnes.

Not saying that all MMA fans will be better, since no doubt the same sort of discussion is going on in an MMA thread, just reversed, but really, it does it no justice.

Myself, I prefer MMA - well UFC is all I watch and some clips of PRIDE etc. but I prefer that to Boxing, mainly for the variedness of it and - like one of Rogan's points - the defence of submissions etc. Just how I see it, have never really been able to get into boxing that much myself.

Yeah, that's what I read as well... which still begs the questions... WHY WEC!? Filho, NO!

Mayhem also said in an interview he had 3 matches left on his WEC contract (I think he has fought one of them) and then would evaluate if he still wants to do that or not. So he could stick it to the UFC and simply fight for ICON and such.

I watched WEC 28 on TSN. It debuted last night on Versus, but I stumbled upon an old WEC show airing before it and I was pleasantly surprised that the Versus show, WrekCage, would airing on TSN as well. Pretty damn good event, especially since it was on free TV. I could definitely see myself becoming a WEC fan and I'm looking forward to the next one.

A nice contrast with the extremely overhyped and equally underwhelming Dynamite co-main event.

Seriously, I made the mistake of watching Brock, then Saku/Gracie before anything else. Sakuraba vs. Gracie sucked the life out of me long enough to not care about the two proceeding bouts, which were actually very good. Those were the only four fights I bothered to watch, but I might check out all the detailed results and see if any of the Showtime or prelim fights were worth watching.

I can't complain about Brock, he looked good for his first fight... but Man that Gracie/Sakuraba fight was boring. It left a bad taste in my mouth. And that MC, or whatever he was, sucked a lot of nuts.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy