(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Not yet, you still haven't sent me any of their songs >.<

But most people that like what I like, like Wintersun. So they're probably good.

Edit: Although, having said that, a few people that like what I like, like Lacuna Coil... so that principle doesn't always work.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Dunno why, but I get bored when listening to Wintersun. Or any other sort of viking/folk metal, besides Amon Amarth.

I can't give a top 3 list, it's way too hard. But I'm currently listening to Capharnaum's Fractured. Say what you want about Matt Heafy and his shit vocal delivery with Trivium - he sounds alright here at least.

Is anyone else expecting vast dissapointments with Megadeth and Metallica's offerings this year/next year?

I really can't wait for them at all, but I think thats going to lead me to dissapointment and then binge drinking.

Then again, even if they do suck, ill forgive the respective bands for the aural orgasm they're both going to provide me at thier gigs in a few months time.

I have a rotating slot on my favorites really. Pretty much whatever I'm into at the moment goes there.

1. Mastodon - Mastodon kicks all kinds of ass and are one of the most talented bands out there. I love everything they've done and probably will love everything they do.

2. Machine Head (would be higher if it were not for the fact that I think their best work is their last 2 albums, I haven't heard enough of the old stuff to comment on it)

3. The End/DevilDriver - I just got into The End and I'm really getting back into DevilDriver and will probably continue until their new album comes out.

Oh and on the topic of Megadeth and Metallica. I'm expecting a shitty album from Metallica and a decent one from Megadeth.

Too much thrash metal in this topic. I don't really dig that :( At live gigs, thrash is alright. But I never understood how someone could spend money on it on a CD (or even the time to d/l it :/)

As far as top 3's go, mine fluctuates a lot depending on if I've been listening to a lot of death metal, black metal or grind, but the following three I listen to no matter what else is playing:

1. Marduk

2. Pelican

3. Meshuggah

So, any people planning on going to any metal gigs in the near future? I'm hitting up a few Finnish festivals in June, so far the two shows have booked acts like Behemoth, Meshuggah (WHOOP), Emperor, Immortal (WHOOP) and Isis, so I'm pretty fucking stoked for both of them.

Too much thrash metal in this topic. I don't really dig that At live gigs, thrash is alright. But I never understood how someone could spend money on it on a CD (or even the time to d/l it :/)

I feel exactly the same way about Death and Black. It's just not for listening at home to me, wheras Thrash is great to blast about the house. Different strokes I guess.

I could never pick three top metal bands, I just love too many.. but Megadeth is definately number one.

Since this is a generic Metal thread... I'm just about to finish reading

'The Headbanging History of Heavy Metal'

It's a great book which charts absolutely everything from just before Sabbath to... well.. present day.

I've learned a lot of new things and reaffirmed a bunch of stuff that I thought I already new. It's a little vague at times, but it's understandable when you consider the sheer volume it has to cover.

You get to find out what kick started metal in America, how a little Anthrax sideproject changed the face of metal forever, learn about the infamous black metal church burnings, loads of stuff. Its fascinating. Also each chapter ends with a list of essential albums related to the subject you just read about.

Great read (Y).

Anyone read any other metal books?

I'm going to Ozzfest this summer and while it's a dissapointing lineup all-around the presence of Nile, Daath and 3 Inches of Blood will definitely be enough to go to a free gig. Plus, I'm interested in hearing more from this Circus Diablo band, featuring a couple of former The Cult members, Billy Duffy and Billy Morrison. Plus there's still one band yet to be announced and it could be a number of bands. Personally, I'm hoping for Down, but I hope more that it's not a shitty band.

Also, I think I may end up going to the Slayer/Manson tour as well. I might check out another show if I can find one that I would love to go to.