(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

I'm really interested - every time Lou Reed releases something noisy, or heavy, or dissonant, the music press act as if he's done something completely outlandish and out-of-character, because they seem to have the memory of a goldfish and only remember "Perfect Day" and "Walk On The Wild Side" when, really, his entire career has been experimenting with noise and extremes - stuff like "Transformer" is the abberation, not the norm - so him matched up with a heavy metal band is potentially brilliant.

And, for Metallica, being forced to work outside their comfort zone, and outside their usual methods, could bring out the best in them. It could still be awful, but I'm excited just by the prospect of having Lou Reed and Rob Trujillo on a single album, fuck the rest of the band.

Fucking love Metal Machine Music.

Did you hear the version he did with Keitzratzer (I think that's the name) - the entire album orchestrated for a string section?

Bongripper, Thou, Jex Thoth, Weedeater, 40 Watt Sun, uhm, that's all I can name off the top of my head at the moment.

Bongripper and Thou released what is undoubtedly the best sludge/doom albums in many years, at the end of last year. Bongripper's "Satan Worshipping Doom" and Thou's "Summit". Jex Thoth is some Black Sabbath worship with slick female vocals, they have a self-titled debut out, Weedeater released "Jason... The Dragon" in january and 40 Watt Sun released "The Inside Room" this year as well. I'd mostly recommend Weedeater if you want to listen to some laid back sludge about taking drugs and just chilling out as fuck. The rest of the albums have a more serious lyrical approach (except Satan Worshipping Doom which is instrumental).

Thanks for the recommendations, man. Weedeater's always been solid, so I'm interested to hear what their new one's like. I've heard some Thou, might have even heard Summit. Solid band as well, not huge into them but that's mostly because I haven't listened to any metal album I've stumbled on in the last couple years more than once or twice.

Anyone else seen the line-up for Damnation festival in Leeds on bonfire night?

Devin Townsend Project

Ulver

Godflesh

Decapitated

God is an Astronaut

Evile

amplifier

Doom

Turisas

Dragged into Sunlight

Shining

Altar of Plagues

A Man Called Catten (Performing Medulla Nocte)

Astrohenge

Xerath

Chthonic

Apparently there is still more to be announced - and it's only £29 plus booking fee!

Anything good coming out of the sludge, doom, or stoner metal camps? I've been out of the loop for a while and I no longer know what's hip.

To add to SRN's suggestions, check out Seahag and Beast In The Field.

Beast In The Field you can find some of their shit on Facebook, Seahag has released their old material for free on bandcamp.com

Oh yeah, get a hold of Monkeypriest's "The Psalm" as well. Pretty well-structured debut record, sludge metal all around. Speaking of stoner metal/rock, get some Truckfighters on board. Their sound is fuzzy as hell and they have electrifying live shows.

Anything good coming out of the sludge, doom, or stoner metal camps? I've been out of the loop for a while and I no longer know what's hip.

Shrinebuilder is a stoner-doom supergroup that released an excellent self-titled record last year, which owned bones and seems like nobody gave a shit about. For the life of me I do not know why.

Other recent great stuff in this vein:

Black Pyramid (debut self-titled last year, probably a personal AOTY, also released a compilation of demo stuff and b-sides this month titled "Stormbringer", get this get this get this get this)

Sunsmasher - "Loud/Mammothian/Cult" is a collection of demo stuff and is a blast

Bloodiest - "Descent", a sludge-post rock masterpiece, huge collective brainchild of Bruce Lamont and like a million other people

The Body - "All The Waters Of The Earth Turn To Blood", some of the darkest sludge material of 2010, definite vibes of Eyehategod and Buzzov*en if you are into that sort of grimier stuff

White Buzz - "Book Of Whyte", German stoner doom from 2009, plenty of fuzz and chill groove to be had

• 2 weeks later...

Devin Townsend Project

Ulver

Godflesh

Decapitated

God is an Astronaut

Evile

amplifier

Doom

Turisas

Dragged into Sunlight

Shining

Altar of Plagues

Astrohenge

Xerath

Chthonic

Apparently there is still more to be announced - and it's only £29 plus booking fee!

Grand Magus, Conan, Cerebral Bore, A Forest of Stars, Humanfly, Talons and Illuminatus complete the line-up. For £29 this doesn't look bad at all.

Devin Townsend Project

Ulver

Godflesh

Decapitated

God is an Astronaut

Evile

amplifier

Doom

Turisas

Dragged into Sunlight

Shining

Altar of Plagues

Astrohenge

Xerath

Chthonic

Grand Magus, Conan, Cerebral Bore, A Forest of Stars, Humanfly, Talons and Illuminatus complete the line-up. For £29 this doesn't look bad at all.

I'd be all over this if there weren't so many other gigs and events going on in November.

Devin Townsend Project

Ulver

Godflesh

Decapitated

God is an Astronaut

Evile

amplifier

Doom

Turisas

Dragged into Sunlight

Shining

Altar of Plagues

Astrohenge

Xerath

Chthonic

I'd be all over this if there weren't so many other gigs and events going on in November.

Fuck it, I'm going to get tickets anyways. I'm sure I'll find a place to stay in Leeds about the time <_<

Yeah, for the money it pretty ridiculous the quality of artists they have attracted. I've just ordered tickets for timmayy and myself. This'll be my 4th festival this year (and his 5th!). I'm so poor :(

Devin Townsend Project

Ulver

Godflesh

Decapitated

God is an Astronaut

Evile

amplifier

Doom

Turisas

Dragged into Sunlight

Shining

Altar of Plagues

Astrohenge

Xerath

Chthonic

Fuck it, I'm going to get tickets anyways. I'm sure I'll find a place to stay in Leeds about the time <_<

Yeah, for the money it pretty ridiculous the quality of artists they have attracted. I've just ordered tickets for timmayy and myself. This'll be my 4th festival this year (and his 5th!). I'm so poor :(

You can get a 3 person room in the Etap hotel in Leeds for about 12 quid each (this was about 18 months ago so the price may have changed slightly). That's a 2 minute walk from the city centre, you can probably get a hotel a bit cheaper if you stay a bit further out. Just a heads up (Y)

Anyway, yeah, the reason I came in was to ask if anyone's heard anything of Machine Head's new album apart from Locust? I'm looking forward to the new Machine Head album because I've not had a new heavy metal album to listen to in a while.

Iced Earth releasing a new album this October. (17 in Europe, 18 in US), and remixed Dante's Inferno with their new vocalist. Listening to the latter now and it's AMAZING. Better than the Barlow version? Yes.

Also, they're touring again... and not in the US. Siiiigh.