(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Bloodstock have announced Behemoth as their Friday headliner. They were obviously going to play - but headlining? Hmmm...

Honestly, Behemoth are on a big comeback tour after Nergal won the battle with Leukemia. Plus, they are pretty big with the extreme metal crowd so it isn't that big of a stretch.

Are they bigger than Dimmu Borgir (who are just a sub-headliner this time)? This is a slot that Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, Fear Factory and Blind Guardian were only seen big enough to 'co-headline' between them. It's a little bit of a stretch imo.

On the plus side, it means there's a much better chance of someone awesome like Amon Amarth getting a higher slot than expected. Hell, Sabaton could probably headline - on their last UK tour they were selling out venues that Lacuna Coil couldn't!

Honestly, Behemoth are on a big comeback tour after Nergal won the battle with Leukemia. Plus, they are pretty big with the extreme metal crowd so it isn't that big of a stretch.

Are they bigger than Dimmu Borgir (who are just a sub-headliner this time)? This is a slot that Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, Fear Factory and Blind Guardian were only seen big enough to 'co-headline' between them. It's a little bit of a stretch imo.

I honestly think it's just the big comeback tour factor, plus it's been more than a year since "Abrahadabra" so DB can't really pull the headline slot on the power of that anymore.

Eagerly hoping that Behemoth gets booked for Finland this summer.

So, I saw Devin Townsend's accoustic gig in Sheffield. Bloody hell it was awesome! It was just him and a guitar, and 90+% of the songs were requests.

For anyone interested, he definitely played:

Let It Roll

Funeral

Ih-Ah!

Juular

Hyperdrive

Deep Peace

Love?

Deadhead

Vampira

Road Kill

Fall

Noisy Pink Bubbles

Sunday Afternoon

Thing Beyond Things

Disruptr

Kawaii

Life

I think there were probably 2 or 3 three others too earlier on. He played for pretty much 2 hours solid.

I was there! Best part was when he farted into the microphone. :P

On the plus side, it means there's a much better chance of someone awesome like Amon Amarth getting a higher slot than expected. Hell, Sabaton could probably headline - on their last UK tour they were selling out venues that Lacuna Coil couldn't!

Whilst possibly not as 'popular' in terms of extreme metal, Behemoth have been a big deal in those circles for the past several years, and are exactly the kinda band who should be headlining festivals.

And yes, I would argue that they are both bigger and better than Dimmu Borgir.

Here's Nerve End, an up-and-coming metal band from Finland. They sound like a mix between Devin Townsend, Meshuggah and Fear Factory. So it's a sort of technical, industrial-tinged prog-metal. Their new EP 'Axis', which you can download from their site for free, is pretty fantastic for a homemade record. The production is better than many professionally produced albums. Check them out!

Just finished listening to Oranssi Pazuzu's Kosmonument for like the fifth time; this album is clearly making my very important and influential year end list. Now unto more psychedelic metal with the new Sólstafir album. You people out there who like black metal, I know you are here on EWB as well, should really go check out Pazuzu's Kosmonument. It might be in Finnish but it is still pretty damn awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If your heart holds any love for occult black metal, go go go go pick up Nightbringer's "Hierophany Of The Open Grave" from last year. It falls somewhere between traditional USBM like Krieg or Judas Iscariot and modern French BM like Blut Aus Nord and Glorior Belli, with a darker, oppressive atmosphere. It done gone own :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

If your heart holds any love for occult black metal, go go go go pick up Nightbringer's "Hierophany Of The Open Grave" from last year. It falls somewhere between traditional USBM like Krieg or Judas Iscariot and modern French BM like Blut Aus Nord and Glorior Belli, with a darker, oppressive atmosphere. It done gone own :w00t:

I've never been really big on black metal (except Moonblood, god, I fucking love them), but I'll check it out.

On the extremely opposite side of the spectrum, does anyone have any opinions on Vader?

I've only ever heard their 2000 album "Litany". However, I really enjoyed that one, solid death metal from start till finish. I even have the album on a t-shirt! If you haven't already, I suggest you listen to that one although where to probably start with the band, I couldn't tell you. :unsure:

I had some of their tracks from this random metal torrent forever ago, it had a few Slayer covers they've done. I'll pick up Litany when I get a chance.

I found this on youtube, though. Fucking badass.