(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Yeah, if you want to cry yourself into doing the job, pick up some Jesu.

As for that Orange Goblin song, it is very consciously poppy and Orange Goblin are not good at it. It's not fucking awful, but it's depressingly plain. The only thing that makes it a little groovy is the muted remnant of OG swagger.

It's very...light.

??

Yeah, it isn't exactly death/black metal, but it is that same kinda metal that they have been playing for ages.

The biggest problem with that song is that it is a bit of a mess really.

I've not listened to them before, admittedly, but it really sounds like they're trying to put a pop sound into a metal track.

• 4 weeks later...

Pig Destroyer are headlining Damnation Festival this year with their first UK show in 8 years.

Can anyone recommend me some obscure black metal bands. Not any of that ambient crap, I want blast beat galore! Not any melodic or symphonic stuff either.

Stuff in the vein of 1349, Immortal etc. but obscure not well known

I would ask on the Bloodstock or MA forums but fancied a change

Edited by ScottHallLeg-end

So, just going through my list of what I listen to, there's this:

Abigail Williams

Carpathian Forest

Christ Inversion

Daath

Dark Funeral

Darkthrone

Dissection

Gorgoroth

I (not technically Black Metal, but it's Abbath from Immortal. Very good.)

Impaled Nazarene

Keep of Kalessin

Marduk

Ov Hell (pretty by the numbers, but good)

Satyricon (maybe not what you're looking for, but a personal black metal favorite)

Thorns

Viking Crown

Watain

Witchery

You can probably get a few things out of there that you'll really like.

Yeah, get some Marduk; I think "Plague Angel" will be right up your alley. You could check out their short EP release from last year as well, "Iron Dawn". Maybe try and get a hold of Weakling's "Dead As Dreams" as well?

Also, if you want to get into Keep of Kalessin my advice would be to stay away from the newer stuff and get "Armada" and "Reclaim" because those two releases are definitely their best. Also, I is fun as hell, simply because it sounds so amazing when Abbath is attempting to be a black metal Lemmy.

Man, Crowbar is playing a gig with Prong and Iron Tongue here in a few weeks and it's on a weeknight. No chance I'll be able to see that. And then the first day of May Hank III's in town playing the Attention Deficit Domination album. Augh.

More than likely. Most of my friends don't like to go to gigs on weeknights so I can't really get a ride to either :/ Plus none of them are really as into sludge/doom as I am. Sad sad.

:wub:

My friends are much more into blastbeats and awful boring deathcore bands like Oceano and Whitechapel. Just about the only time I see any sludge/doom bands are when they're opening for some shit deathcore band.

I'm not much of a fan either, but I find myself at a lot of deathcore shows just to see the supporting acts (and often times because my cousin's band is one of the supporting acts). I saw Beast In The Field play with Black Dahlia Murder last year and I was considerably more impressed and into BITF's set than TBDM's. Crunchy, loud stoner metal? Fuck yeah, I'm there.

I need to get that album! I keep meaning to but never get around to it. Listening to some of it on youtube right now.