(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

I thought I disliked Down. Then a friend spammed by Facebooks with bazillions of tracks and now... I quite like them. Do like The Purple EP quite a bit.

I just can't put my finger on it. I liked Pantera and Phil's vocals, not just Dimebag's guitar work, were a big reason why. I even like some of the other projects Phil has done. But for some reason I just can't get into Down at all.

What I am wondering is who will get the rights to the Queensryche name after Geoff Tate being fired. The band has been performing as Rising West with their new singer, and only been doing older material. Tate has formed his own band (with Bobby Blotzer from Ratt, Rudy Sarzo from Quiet Riot and Kelly Gray who replaced Chris DeGarmo in QR but left the band in 2001, as members) and also intends to use the Queensryche name. Tate tried to file an injunction to stop the others from performing as Queensryche, but wasn't successful. It was apparently their manager at the time who came up with the Queensryche name, not a band member.

I hope its not a long legal fight, but I'd really hate to see either group performing under the Queensryche name. But I won't buy anything by the non-Tate band unless their new singer Todd La Torre stops trying to imitate him. Listen to his work with Crimson Glory. He doesn't need to imitate Tate.

My guess is that Tate will get the QR name but will have to pay a huge sum for it, since it looks like the old band already has a new name.

I like Phil Anselmo's voice but I hate all of his bands.

-99 to RaeKONG for hating Pantera. -100 to anyone who gives a + to his post.

Edited by GhostMachine

Just checked out Slough Feg's Hardworlder. It's fine, just like... old school metal with the heavy blues influence, pre-thrash. At the beginning of the album I thought I would really dig this, but I didn't hear any standout tracks. "Dearg Doom" was pretty cool but that's it.

Anette Olzon is out of Nightwish, mid-tour. Ex-After Forever singer Floor Jansen has been drafted in to do the second half of the current world tour.

Maryland Death Fest Lineup!

The vast majority of these bands don't interest me, though you will probably dig 'em if you like faster metal. But there ARE a bunch of bands that do, to wit:

- Melvins!

- The Obsessed :w00t:

- Sleep :w00t:

- Speedwolf!

- Weedeater!

- Ufomammut!

- Pagan Altar! :w00t:

- Pentagram!

- Pelican!

Shiiiit. And they're all on one stage, could not give a fuck about the other stage. I missed Electric Wizard and Boris last time around, will definitely be looking into tickets for this one.

I'm in love with Cannibal Corpse's new album.

I thought I disliked Down. Then a friend spammed by Facebooks with bazillions of tracks and now... I quite like them. Do like The Purple EP quite a bit.

NOLA is one of my top albums that I listen to, especially while I'm reading.

The vast majority of these bands don't interest me, though you will probably dig 'em if you like faster metal. But there ARE a bunch of bands that do, to wit:

- Melvins!

- Speedwolf!

- Weedeater!

- Ufomammut!

- Pentagram!

- Pelican!

Shiiiit. And they're all on one stage, could not give a fuck about the other stage. I missed Electric Wizard and Boris last time around, will definitely be looking into tickets for this one.

It is actually a pretty sweet line-up. I hate that I can't go because man, I would love to see Bolt Thrower, Cobalt, Pig Destroyer and Rotten Sound, along with most of those bands, live.

Time by Wintersun has leaked, its absolutely worth buying.

They are streaming it on their own site now. I'm 2/3 of the way through and am very impressed.

- Melvins!

- Speedwolf!

- Weedeater!

- Ufomammut!

- Pentagram!

- Pelican!

Goddamn, I wanna see that show.

Just got back from GWAR. That was a blast and a half.

DevilDriver were solid too. Opening acts were Legacy of Disorder (who were decent) and Cancer Bats (sucked, and worst possible cover of Sabotage).

I'd like to hear Kongo or Skummy's thoughts on Horn Of The Rhino. I've been listening to them a lot recently (especially Brought Back off of the Grengus album). I'd post the youtube here, but the album art is....um....yeah....extremely NSFW. Let me just put it in spoiler tags.