(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

So, any people planning on going to any metal gigs in the near future? I'm hitting up a few Finnish festivals in June, so far the two shows have booked acts like Behemoth, Meshuggah (WHOOP), Emperor, Immortal (WHOOP) and Isis, so I'm pretty fucking stoked for both of them.

Meh, the Misfits era sucks. I don't like the Misfits at all, and although I haven't heard much of Danzig, I can see that that band is great (unless they only have a few good songs <_<)

Is anyone here into Elvenking, or Tyr, or other folk metal? I just started to get into them, and I'm really liking this genre.

So, any people planning on going to any metal gigs in the near future? I'm hitting up a few Finnish festivals in June, so far the two shows have booked acts like Behemoth, Meshuggah (WHOOP), Emperor, Immortal (WHOOP) and Isis, so I'm pretty fucking stoked for both of them.

Mastodon and then Pig Destroyer are probably on the horizon.

"The Headbanging History of Heavy Metal"

"Lords of Chaos: The Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground"

Those are both absolutely tops books, I loved LoC. Especially the Varg Vikernes interviews.

I might be going to see Edguy soon. Not sure whether I am or not though.

Edited by Farmer Reil

So Static-X has been confirmed as the final band for Ozzfest...

Lame. Their new album sucks balls.

You say that as though the other ones haven't. Tripp Eisen was fucking terrible.

RAtM are alright, can't say the same for System of a Down.

What are some well-known bands you guys have tried out, but have just not been able to get into? My major one would be Slayer, as previously mentioned. Others are Blind Guardian (although I do like them, I just don't think they're as great as people have said) and Judas Priest (way too generic, IMO).

RAtM are alright, can't say the same for System of a Down.

What are some well-known bands you guys have tried out, but have just not been able to get into? My major one would be Slayer, as previously mentioned. Others are Blind Guardian (although I do like them, I just don't think they're as great as people have said) and Judas Priest (way too generic, IMO).

Metallica is a big one for me. People said the early stuff was awesome thrash, but I just didn't like it at all. There's a lot of other shit, any sort of nu-metal falls into this category, a lot of black metal as well.

Really, I only like thrash metal. I'm under the opinion that metal is great when done right, but for the most part I can't find a shitload of things that I really enjoy.

I checked out Mayhem, and initially I didn't mind it, but the music became really monotonous to me. For something considered metal, it bored the hell out of me, the songs started off good but then drifted into repetition with shit vocals as you mentioned. I can't complain about production values because it would be hypocritical of me, but I can see where that would be a turn off.

Yeah, the only black metal band I like is Dimmu Borgir. Their production is much better than a band like Emperor, and also, their clean vocalist is a very good alternative to the normal, raspy vocals that come with the genre.

I'm curious then, since this is the metal thread, what do you guys consider thrash, and what thrash do you guys like? I've been on a thrash kick, listening to stuff that has a sort of punk influence, and stuff that is just thrash brutality. Some of it is relatively obscure, but I also dig stuff resembling Venom, Kreator, Slayer, and stuff in that vein. I'm sort of looking toward recommendations and just general discussion.

Also, how do you guys feel about bands like Dying Fetus? I like Dying Fetus quite a bit, but don't particularly enjoy the death metal genre as a whole. One band that seems to fit in that mold that I do like is a group called Destroyer 666 from Australia.

I'm curious then, since this is the metal thread, what do you guys consider thrash, and what thrash do you guys like? I've been on a thrash kick, listening to stuff that has a sort of punk influence, and stuff that is just thrash brutality. Some of it is relatively obscure, but I also dig stuff resembling Venom, Kreator, Slayer, and stuff in that vein. I'm sort of looking toward recommendations and just general discussion.

Also, how do you guys feel about bands like Dying Fetus? I like Dying Fetus quite a bit, but don't particularly enjoy the death metal genre as a whole. One band that seems to fit in that mold that I do like is a group called Destroyer 666 from Australia.