(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah, for anyone just as interested as me, new song from the new Moonsorrow just leaked. It is fucking epic on all accounts; the sound is a bit wobbly and its split into two pieces so far but it gives me the greatest of hope for their February release.

and

Bloodstock just announced At The Gates as a UK exclusive for 2011.

Might as well collate all the info we've got so far:

Bloodstock

Headliners: Immortal

Others: Rhapsody of Fire, Coroner, Morbid Angel, Tryptikon, Grave Digger, Therion, At The Gates, Lawnmower Deth, Angel Witch, Exodus, Arthemis, Lawnmower Deth, The Rotted, Power Quest, Criminal, October File, Brezno

Download

Headliners: Linkin Park, System of a Down

Others: Rob Zombie, Avenged Sevenfold

High Voltage

Headliners: Judas Priest, Dream Theater

Sonisphere UK

Headliners: Biffy Clyro, Slipknot

Special performances by: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax

Others: Motorhead, Mastadon, In Flames, Parkway Drive

Bloodstock and Download are definites for me. High Voltage a probable, should I be able to afford it.

I've updated the Bloodstock list. Exodus, Arthemis, Lawnmower Deth, The Rotted, Power Quest, Criminal, October File, and Brezno have all been added.

EDIT: Added Sonisphere's latest announcement too.

In an entirely separate bit of awesomeness, here is a bluegrass cover of Twilight of the Thunder Gods:

More bands that Sonisphere add, the more Biffy Clyro look like a sore thumb.

Or maybe they are getting all their heavier bands in now to lure the metalheads, then announce a bunch of Indie and mainstream-esque acts to play below Biffy?

any thoughts on the Electric Wizard album coming out tomorrow?

Didn't their last album only come out in November?

I'm assuming it must be a different release date in the US or something? As far as I know they've done nothing since Black Masses.

In my opinion it's their worst yet. It's just not very interesting, and a lot less dark and doomy than usual. Might appeal to some people, but for me it's moving away from what I like them for, and more towards generic hard rock. It's arguably more "accessible", but I was disappointed. Also, "Venus In Furs" isn't a Velvet Underground cover, and that's just a cocktease.

So yeah, for anyone just as interested as me, new song from the new Moonsorrow just leaked. It is fucking epic on all accounts; the sound is a bit wobbly and its split into two pieces so far but it gives me the greatest of hope for their February release.

and

This is important guys! :angry:

I'm assuming it must be a different release date in the US or something? As far as I know they've done nothing since Black Masses.

I was referring to Black Masses. Newbury Comics and Amazon here says it's now available today.

I saw a review for it a couple weeks ago in the paper saying it was decent doom/stoner metal, which is a genre I like listening to more lately.

and

This is important guys! :angry:

Ah, I meant to reply actually. Yeah, it's pretty damned awesome :)

And in some festival news, Download will be announcing 10+ bands sometime next week.

Oh, and The Stranglers are rumoured to be playing. :D

EDIT: Apparently The Cult has self-confirmed Download and IoW festivals.

Download added the following bands:

Korn, Pendulum, Bullet for My Valentine, Alice Cooper, Alter Bridge, Danzig, The Cult, The Gaslight Anthem, Hollywood Undead, Thin Lizzy, Buckcherry, Black Veil Brides, The Damned Things, Escape the Fate, Clutch, Mr. Big, Gwar, FM, Masters of Reality and Rise to Remain.

Apparently, Pendulum, Zombie and Cooper are the second stage headliners.

Bloodstock and High Voltage both had announcements today. So here is now where we stand, festival wise. New additions in bold

Bloodstock

Headliners: Immortal

Others: Rhapsody of Fire, Coroner, Morbid Angel, Tryptikon, Grave Digger, Therion, At The Gates, Lawnmower Deth, Angel Witch, Exodus, Arthemis, Lawnmower Deth, The Rotted, Power Quest, Criminal, October File, Brezno, Napalm Death, Nevermore.

Download

Headliners: Linkin Park, System of a Down

Others: Rob Zombie, Avenged Sevenfold, Korn, Pendulum, Bullet for My Valentine, Alice Cooper, Alter Bridge, Danzig, The Cult, The Gaslight Anthem, Hollywood Undead, Thin Lizzy, Buckcherry, Black Veil Brides, The Damned Things, Escape the Fate, Clutch, Mr. Big, Gwar, FM, Masters of Reality and Rise to Remain.

High Voltage

Headliners: Judas Priest, Dream Theater

Others: Black Country Communion, Michael Schenker Group, Jethro Tull, Spock’s Beard, Caravan, Mostly Autumn, Pallas, and The Enid

Sonisphere UK

Headliners: Biffy Clyro, Slipknot

Special performances by: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax

Others: Motorhead, Mastadon, In Flames, Parkway Drive

Sonisphere have added Diamond Head to play the Friday - same day as 'The Big Four,' and have also added Airbourne, Architects and Weezer.

IMO that's the best announcement they've had so far. Good call on putting Diamond Head to open for the big four too.

Didn't "The Big Four" (I hate that name, but I digress) collaborate on a cover of "Am I Evil?" at the last show they played together? Pretty sure they did. Diamondhead are always a good choice, anyway.

Didn't "The Big Four" (I hate that name, but I digress) collaborate on a cover of "Am I Evil?" at the last show they played together? Pretty sure they did. Diamondhead are always a good choice, anyway.

That was at the Bulgaria show I mentioned previously. It's expected they'll do the same at Sonisphere UK, probably with Diamond Head themselves as they have been booked to play directly before Anthrax.

EDIT: Next DL announcement in on the 23rd Feb, with a minimum of 17 bands being added to the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Sonisphere have added Limp Bizkit, The Sisters of Mercy, Volbeat, Gallows, Kids in Glass Houses, One Minute's Silence, Gojira, Darkest Hour, Protest the Hero and Inme.

I've been trying to see Volbeat for ages, so I really hope they don't escape me again, and I'll always have a 'soft spot' for Limp Bizkit because Chocolate Starfish was the first album I brought that wasn't generic 'top 40' pop shit, I wouldn't be into rock or metal at all if it wasn't for that album. They're far from a favourite act of mine, but I still like a couple of tunes of theirs and I'd like to see them for those reasons.

I'll have to check the rest out, my knowledge of them is patchy, thought I know DFF bums Gojira.

Only thing with Soni so far is I feel it might be a little too 'heavy' for me (certainly still going and really looking forward to some acts mind). I know it is generally heavier then Download, but some 'quieter' bands would be nice.

That's because Gojira are amazing. :D

EDIT: Devin Townsend added to Bloodstock! :D :D :D :D