(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

• 3 weeks later...

Guys like Des Kensel are kind of fascinating to me. He seems to have come out of nowhere and he's the drummer for High on Fire. I mean, I guess the first line-up for High on Fire was him, Matt Pike, and other virtual unknown George Rice, but it just seems so weird for a band as big as HoF to just have people with not a lot of history. I'm more used to seeing bands I like come out of other bands with some kind of rep.

Also, hat trick!

• 2 weeks later...

Baroness' Yellow and Green First Listen at NPR. I'm about halfway through Yellow and it's very mediocre. If I wasn't specifically trying to check it all out I would have turned it off by now.

"Board Up the House" is way better than pretty much everything on the Yellow side. Seems like they stopped pretending they were going to be heavy heavy Baroness the way that tracks like "Take My Bones Away" do. The song comes off much better for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Mayhem Festival yesterday. The first few hours were unbearable. Nothing but breakdowns until Anthrax got on stage. Such a change of pace. I was super grateful they got on stage when they did. Metalcore is so played out and every band sounded the same.

Belladonna didn't sound perfect. His age has caught up to him, but he was still incredible.

Motorhead was fucking killer. It's the first time I have had the chance to see them. I've never been the biggest fan of them, but seeing them in person really did change that.

I fell asleep during Slayer. I love their current guitar player(Gary Holt from Exodus) and Lombardo is a beast, but they just aren't entertaining to me and I can't stand Tom's voice.

Slipknot was amazing though. It's the first time in seven years they've played here. I was afraid there was going to be drama because former members of Mushroomhead were there, but no one started any shit. Corey Taylor sounded damn near perfect and he's one of the best frontmen out there. They did a little tribute to Paul and I got a little teary eyed. Paul is part of the reason I decided to learn bass and when he passed, I got pretty upset.

For what it's worth if anyone cares to know the other people who inspired me to get a bass, they were Marten Andersson from Lizzy Borden and Nikki Sixx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody who hasn't checked out Electric Wizard should go to, and please skip Black Masses.

Black Masses wasn't that bad, though Witchcult Today was better.

Vital Remains is brutally awesome. But I can't listen to more than 20 minutes or so without wanting to listen to something else. After that it just seems to get repetitive.