(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

• 3 months later...

Why was I not there? Why? :(

Also, can't wait till the DVD/blu-ray recordings of the show are released September 30th.

I bet that's gonna be the best concert DVD ever. Too bad there wasn't Anneke and all those theatrics when I saw him live, but just watching and hearing him is pretty much a show on itself.

Has anyone heard the new Fleshgod Apocalypse album? It disappointed me. Its kinda hard to appreciate the symphonic elements when everything is going full force. Everything kinda blurs without making much impact. And the clean vocals this time are just annoying. They had it right in "Agony" but this one just doesn't seem to click at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard the new Fleshgod Apocalypse album? It disappointed me. Its kinda hard to appreciate the symphonic elements when everything is going full force. Everything kinda blurs without making much impact. And the clean vocals this time are just annoying. They had it right in "Agony" but this one just doesn't seem to click at all.

I think it will grow on me, because I said the exact same thing about Agony when that one hit. But I have since come to appreciate the absolute chaotic destruction that the whole thing brings. I mean, it is like non-stop in-your-face adrenaline for close to 50 minutes and I am sure Labyrinth will be the same once I give it a proper listen.

Also, the new Inquisition album is... just as silly as it should be. I love these guys and their mad riffage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYAeQ9xv_BA

That Inquisition song is way better than any of their early material. I'm a huge black metal fan, but those first few records are super weak and I've never gotten why people dig them. The weird vocals are just terrible.

Anyone recommend any Folk Metal bands they really enjoy?

I'm not a huge folk metal fan in general, but I like Agalloch, and Primordial (A Journey's End) which is amazing black/folk. Skyclad is a classic, as is everything by Summoning. Windir is also pretty good--goofy but lots of minor scale synth makes it good.

If you like folk metal you should also check out Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dust. I'm sure you've heard it, but a lot of people write it off because it's too "black." In reality, all the early Emperor releases are just as melodic and European folk-style as folk metal releases.

That Inquisition song is way better than any of their early material. I'm a huge black metal fan, but those first few records are super weak and I've never gotten why people dig them. The weird vocals are just terrible.

I really hope that neither Nefarious Dismal Orations or Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm are included in those "super weak" albums because then I can only say that you are absolutely and irreversibly wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

And has anyone else heard Turisas' new album? I think it will need some time to grow on me.

What kind of folk metal do you already like?

Personally I like a fair few: Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Equilibrium, Primordial, Alestorm, Turisas, Tyr, etc. Bear in mind as well that, whilst all of these are often described as folk metal, some are quite different in sound (Primordial and Alestorm for example sound very little alike).

As for the Turisas album - I think it is a grower. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I really hope that neither Nefarious Dismal Orations or Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm are included in those "super weak" albums because then I can only say that you are absolutely and irreversibly wrong.

To each their own! I've never been a huge Inquisition fan, maybe because I'm not a fan of the vocal style. Although now as I listen to Nefarious again, the riffing on this first track is really fucking good and dynamic. And the layered vocals are pretty sick too.

• 2 weeks later...

And has anyone else heard Turisas' new album? I think it will need some time to grow on me.

What kind of folk metal do you already like?

Personally I like a fair few: Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Equilibrium, Primordial, Alestorm, Turisas, Tyr, etc. Bear in mind as well that, whilst all of these are often described as folk metal, some are quite different in sound (Primordial and Alestorm for example sound very little alike).

As for the Turisas album - I think it is a grower. :)

Yeah I am digging it now. Turisas are amazing. Love Alestorm but it gets old when you listen to it non-stop. Korpiklaani is cool. I love the music of Finntroll, but I have never been a huge fan of the deep growl screaming in metal.

Just got into Diablo Swing Orchestra. They are pretty nuts. Was looking for more circus sounding metal if that even makes sense!

• 3 months later...

So, have anyone heard the new Behemoth album, The Satanist? I am on my fourth listen to it now and what a fucking comeback album. Not a weak song on it.

It's the first Behemoth album I've ever heard and Jesus H. Christ, is all their stuff this good?

It depends. If you like The Satanist, then you should check out The Apostasy. However, a lot of their oldest stuff, from the 90s, is much more raw ad pure black metal without the gigantic riffs and death metal inspiration.

• Like 1

So, have anyone heard the new Behemoth album, The Satanist? I am on my fourth listen to it now and what a fucking comeback album. Not a weak song on it.

It's the first Behemoth album I've ever heard and Jesus H. Christ, is all their stuff this good?

It depends. If you like The Satanist, then you should check out The Apostasy. However, a lot of their oldest stuff, from the 90s, is much more raw ad pure black metal without the gigantic riffs and death metal inspiration.

I'll check out The Apostasy. I don't care much (read: at all) for straight up black metal, so I'll steer clear of their early stuff.

In short, yes! SRN is right that their sound has gotten very big and death metal in the late '90s.

I personally love their old black metal sound as exemplified in Grom for it sheer "evilness" because I'm a black metal fan. But Satanica is the first record where their sound gets more brutal and a death/black metal mix, which I also like because I do like the late '90s black/death mix that has made some great records.

Both records are great but will appeal to different folks for different reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Gridlink's new, and apparently final, album Longhena is fucking genius. It is like a competition of how many different genres of metal they can fuse with grindcore and, on paper, that sounds terrible but it really isn't. It is like a crazy masterpiece of music. I love it.