(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Alright EWB, I need your help. I'm looking to get into Death Metal (the closest I listen to to straight up Death Metal is a few Melodic Death bands, Behemoth and a bunch of Deathcore bands) but have no idea where to start. So what would you guys suggest as some good gateway Death Metal bands?

Get Possessed's Seven Churches if you want to hear the very beginning of the genre; it is actually a pretty good album, although it does sound a little dated but with such a locked genre as death metal, you'll have to expect that from a 30-year old record. Get Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness as well, and don't ever get any of their other albums. I would also recommend you to get some of the classic 90's records, the ones that sort of lifted death metal up from the mess of technical death metal, melodic death metal and whatever was taking over at the time. So Cryptopsy's None So Vile, Cannibal Corpse's The Bleeding, Entombed's Left Hand Path and stuff like that. For more current trends, but still sticking to actual no-frills death metal, take a look at Immolation's Close to a World Below (which in my oppinion might be the best death metal record ever released) and lets say, Disma's Towards the Megalith.

Then, when you are done with all those, you can begin branching off into stranger territory. Just don't ever listen to Chris Barnes' band Six Feet Under. They are the worst. Or Execration's Odes of the Occult because, dear lord, it takes over an hour and is so boring.

I have listened to Six Feet Under. They are God awful. Their vocals are terrible, I have no idea how people can think Barnes is better than Corpsegrinder (Cannibal Corpse being perhaps the only other proper Death Metal band I've ever really listened to) and their instrumentals are terrible.

So I saw some pic of a band from Australia that were a bunch of young guys dressed like they were in Mötley Crue, and the article kept calling them metal. I have a feeling they aren't, but can anyone tell me who they are so I can kill my curiosity?

The only Australian band I can think of that fits that description is Sisters Doll, who are Hard Rock/Glam Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyldDhHN5Xc

Just saw Antiquiet post about this band, Bridge Farmers. Still deciding if I like it, to me it sounds a little bit like a more Satanic Soundgarden with Mark Arm singing. I wasn't so sure about the start, thinking it'll be too 'dark' for me, but as it built up more I started getting into it. Then as mentioned, the verse his a bit of a trippy Soundgarden element to it, whilst Mark Arm shouts over the top. I think for me this one particular track at least is a bit too much for me, too much noise, but I thought some of you guys may enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright EWB, I need your help. I'm looking to get into Death Metal (the closest I listen to to straight up Death Metal is a few Melodic Death bands, Behemoth and a bunch of Deathcore bands) but have no idea where to start. So what would you guys suggest as some good gateway Death Metal bands?

If you like some Melodic Death and deathcore, start with:

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Carcass - Heartwork

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane (black/death metal fusion)

Then check out:

Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream (melodic Swedish DM)

Cryptopsy - None So Vile (brutal DM that tons of deathcore bands rip off, and rightfully so)

Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun

Unleashed - Midvinterblot (one of many good records, but it's accessible and catchy)

Then some classics:

Suffocation - Pierced from Within [& Effigy of the Forgotten] (the foundational brutal DM records)

Autopsy - Mental Funeral (doomy death metal)

Immolation - Here in After

Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick

Malevolent Creation - Ten Commandments

and if you get really adventurous, check out:

Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity

Gorguts - Considered Dead

Demilich - Nespithe

Let me know if you want more specific recommendations; I've spent way too much of my life listening to death metal already so I might as well share it with people!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gridlink's new, and apparently final, album Longhena is fucking genius. It is like a competition of how many different genres of metal they can fuse with grindcore and, on paper, that sounds terrible but it really isn't. It is like a crazy masterpiece of music. I love it.

Yeah, I am still loving the hell out of this record. Please guys, just give it a shot or two.

New Alestorm album confirmed! Sunset on the Golden Age will be out on August 4th in the UK (1st in rest of EU and 5th in North America)! :-D

• Like 2

Fuck yeah! Can't wait. I love Alestorm. Still pissed I missed them in January. Even more pissed that Gloryhammer are touring Australia but not coming to Perth.

Finntroll is coming in June. I really want to go, but I am not at all a metalhead and I don't think I will like the crowd that will be there. I might bite the bullet and go with my brother as he is keen.

Anyone heard Powerwolf? German Power Metal band. They are pretty awesome.

• Like 1

This is so bizarre. I dunno why I like it but I do..

• Like 2

Fuck yeah! Can't wait. I love Alestorm. Still pissed I missed them in January. Even more pissed that Gloryhammer are touring Australia but not coming to Perth.

Finntroll is coming in June. I really want to go, but I am not at all a metalhead and I don't think I will like the crowd that will be there. I might bite the bullet and go with my brother as he is keen.

Anyone heard Powerwolf? German Power Metal band. They are pretty awesome.

Powerwolf are brilliant live. If you get the chance to see them, do not hesitate! :-)

Babymetal are superb. So much Japanese rock and metal is fucking brilliant, dating back decades, because there's not as much cultural stigma attached to different genres. There never seemed to be the idea that if you like one thing you can't possibly like the other, or sticking rigidly to one genre, as there has been so often in the West, so you end up with amazing mish-mashes of styles that you'd hardly ever see in the US or the UK or wherever.

It's a shame it has to be someone gimmicky like Babymetal that got people noticing it, rather than someone like Sigh, for example, but they're still fucking great.

• Like 2