Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked what I saw, even if I'd prefer a turn based battle system. I understand why they're going the way they are.

My main concern continues to be that they'll just cut parts out entirely or minimize the fun elements that made the game great. I can see publishers going "Don't waste time developing the snowboarding mini-game" but god damn, goofy stuff like that is part of what made the game great. I'm not even convinced they'll keep things like Wutai in the game - they'll probably cut the world map out entirely at this rate. Oh man. I hope they don't cut the world map out. That feeling of leaving Shinra for the first time... flying around in the Highwind... exploring the world when you finally get water travel...

Obviously it won't kill the game, but it'd be such a shame to lose the little things like those.

Also - I'm downloading now, but anyone that's got it, am I hearing right that they included the weird Steam version "add ons"? Like you can make the game go at x3 speed, turn off random battles and set the game to easy?

Edited by TKzo Amore
  • Like 1

Played about 20 mins of it. So yeah, it's got some weird stuff. If you press in L3, it speeds the game up to three times the speed. It doesn't work all the time, mostly in battles and randomly running around. If you press in R3, it gives you Max HP/MP and something else. If you press in both L3 and R3, it turns off random battles. None of this seems to affect trophies so far and I doubt it'd help in any of the main ones anyway (Ruby/Emerald wouldn't be helped by those stats boosts anyway).

Anyone planning on doing a 100% run through should keep in mind that getting Barrett to go on the date with you is affected as early on as the conversations you have with Aeries when you meet her in the opening moments.

Otherwise it runs really well, it pretty clearly is running at 60fps at times compared to 30 of the Playstation. You can notice a drop when it does transitions and stuff. The sound all is pretty good, so it doesn't seem like they used the bad format from the PC originally. 

The better textures are more noticeable, especially being able to see characters mouths. Overall it seems pretty fucking rad, it's exactly what I'd want out of a PS4 version. I don't know that it justified buying it again when I've already got the PS3 version, but I'm also realistic about the way companies work and that there's money to be made there. Worth the money if you're a lifelong fan or a newcomer interested in seeing what the fuss is about, probably not so much for anyone that already owns it and wasn't playing it every year or two anyway.

If nothing else, it's probably the best way to play Final Fantasy 7 again for anyone interested in doing that.

4 hours ago, stokeriño said:

Stokerina might actually play it now. :lol: She despises turn-based anything.

Not that I...especially want her to play it... It gets in the way of me playing it...

Shit. :shifty: 

*passive aggressive comment about moving to England to alleviate the problem*

28 minutes ago, TKzo Amore said:

Played about 20 mins of it. So yeah, it's got some weird stuff. If you press in L3, it speeds the game up to three times the speed. It doesn't work all the time, mostly in battles and randomly running around. If you press in R3, it gives you Max HP/MP and something else. If you press in both L3 and R3, it turns off random battles. None of this seems to affect trophies so far and I doubt it'd help in any of the main ones anyway (Ruby/Emerald wouldn't be helped by those stats boosts anyway).

Anyone planning on doing a 100% run through should keep in mind that getting Barrett to go on the date with you is affected as early on as the conversations you have with Aeries when you meet her in the opening moments.

Otherwise it runs really well, it pretty clearly is running at 60fps at times compared to 30 of the Playstation. You can notice a drop when it does transitions and stuff. The sound all is pretty good, so it doesn't seem like they used the bad format from the PC originally. 

The better textures are more noticeable, especially being able to see characters mouths. Overall it seems pretty fucking rad, it's exactly what I'd want out of a PS4 version. I don't know that it justified buying it again when I've already got the PS3 version, but I'm also realistic about the way companies work and that there's money to be made there. Worth the money if you're a lifelong fan or a newcomer interested in seeing what the fuss is about, probably not so much for anyone that already owns it and wasn't playing it every year or two anyway.

If nothing else, it's probably the best way to play Final Fantasy 7 again for anyone interested in doing that.

So is it too early to start wanting them to port over 8 and 9 as well?

1 hour ago, Forky The Snowman said:

8 wouldn't surprise me at all as it's already had a similar port on PC. 9 is more uncertain as it hasn't, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility.

2 hours ago, TKzo Amore said:

Does it have the original PS1 soundtrack? One of the biggest complaints about the PC version was that it used MIDI knock-off tracks, but you could manually insert the old soundtrack back in.

Just remember, the one thats up now isn't the remaster, but an upscaled version.  Its the same old graphics upscaled to 1080p.  The remaster isn't out for a bit

10 hours ago, Forky The Snowman said:

If this sells well I have no doubt we'll see 8 further down the line. I can't imagine actually porting the game took much time or money at all, I'd be willing to bet trophy support was the main thing that took any time, followed by the stuff that's not programming based (licences and all those bits).

Oh man I'm pretty psyched at the idea of having a reason to actually bother to beat Omega Weapon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lint said:

Just remember, the one thats up now isn't the remaster, but an upscaled version.  Its the same old graphics upscaled to 1080p.  The remaster isn't out for a bit

Upscaled version is all we need. Hell, forget the remake now. I can play the original on a next gen system. I'm good now. :D 

• Like 1

So, here's an interesting bit from the FF7 remake press release that Square Enix put out today:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.