Sign in to follow this  
thuganomic

Final Fantasy

VIII and IX are my favourite. And yay for listening to me.

No one's favourite is VIII. That link someone posted earlier pretty much covers the majority of the idiotic things with it. :P

Edited by NBT

Can anyone who's played Xenosaga Episode I and II tell me how they compare to the Final Fantasys?

Here's a tip...skip II. It sucks with a vengeance. As for I and III...honestly I prefer them to FF, although it's a matter of personal taste. The cinematics are very long in I, but I really dug the story. I like the setting a lot too, although I am a sucker for spaceships and planets blowing up and shit. The music's awesome, esp. in the first area in III.

I used to really love FF. It jumped the shark with FFX, though. When I first beat it, I remember feeling that it was a great game, but something felt wrong. In retrospect, that was when the series stopped feeling like FF. FFX2 was from the flaming pit of assfire & brimstone. FFXII was alright, but it didn't feel like a FF game to me. I have no desire to play FFXI, as I don't play online RPGs.

No one's favourite is VIII. That link someone posted earlier pretty much covers the majority of the idiotic things with it. :P

VIII is my favorite, but only because it was my first FF. <_<

While that video review is all kinds of awesome, I strongly disagree, sir. FFVIII was always a favourite of mine!

The only thing I loathe about all the FF's is that once you've beaten all of them to death, on your next play through you find that the entire like first hour... two hours of the game is boring as hell. The start of FFVI can kiss my ass. I love VII but I 100% can't be bothered to play through Midgar pre-Shinra tower stuff. VII is great but fuck playing the 20 tutorials and the Timber mission that's just a solid 3 hours of text and a boss or two >_> IX... eh, I just plain find the start of IX unappealing. The blitzball bits and all the first temple mlarky (sp?) at the start of X is boring as hell. And X-2... well X-2 picks up after the mission after Gagazet, but still, that's a while.

I just plain don't remember XII ever being very fun.I like the storyline, but apart from finding a black chocobo and marking a little bit, all I can even remember from the game is grinding, grinding, grinding, grinding. >_> I really didn't enjoy the XII battle system that much either. Gimmie the X or IX one any day of the week.

Also, Dirty Johnny, FFXIII is coming out on 360 I think. Only 360 though, the second game/add on/whatever the hell it is, is a PS3 exclusive.

While that video review is all kinds of awesome, I strongly disagree, sir. FFVIII was always a favourite of mine!

The only thing I loathe about all the FF's is that once you've beaten all of them to death, on your next play through you find that the entire like first hour... two hours of the game is boring as hell. The start of FFVI can kiss my ass. I love VII but I 100% can't be bothered to play through Midgar pre-Shinra tower stuff. VII is great but fuck playing the 20 tutorials and the Timber mission that's just a solid 3 hours of text and a boss or two >_> IX... eh, I just plain find the start of IX unappealing. The blitzball bits and all the first temple mlarky (sp?) at the start of X is boring as hell. And X-2... well X-2 picks up after the mission after Gagazet, but still, that's a while.

I just plain don't remember XII ever being very fun.I like the storyline, but apart from finding a black chocobo and marking a little bit, all I can even remember from the game is grinding, grinding, grinding, grinding. >_> I really didn't enjoy the XII battle system that much either. Gimmie the X or IX one any day of the week.

Also, Dirty Johnny, FFXIII is coming out on 360 I think. Only 360 though, the second game/add on/whatever the hell it is, is a PS3 exclusive.

Of course the beginnings of the games are slow - the game doesn't know that you're playing it for a second/third/<number> time. It's showing how to play it again. <_<

As for FFXIII's whole brood... IIRC, only regular XIII is coming out for the PS3 and the 360. FF Agito XIII is a PSP exclusive, and FF Versus XIII is PS3 exclusive.

I actually like playing through the start of VII its the Kalm flashback that really drains me and takes me about 3 attempts to get through.

Of course the beginnings of the games are slow - the game doesn't know that you're playing it for a second/third/<number> time. It's showing how to play it again. <_<

Yes, but VII, X and possibly IX (I can't really remember) are quite happy to have some kind of question for if you want the explanations, for example:

Barrett: "Could you teach me how to use Materia?"

Answer Yes: You get the tutorial for how to use Materia.

Answer No: Barret throws a quick hissy and just lets you get on with the game instead of explaining.

Where as VIII pretty much has Qustis say "YOU KNOW HOW DO THIS YEAH? NO YOU DONT? OK THEN GIVE ME 20 MINITUES TO EXPLAIN HERE..." As much as I love VIII, the first while kills me. >_>

Then again, I suppose if they never gave any explanation how to play the games in the first place, I'd be coming in here complaining about how I didn't know what to do the first time through. As a matter of fact, despite hundreds of times reading that bloody VIII tutorial on junctioning magic to stat attacks, I still don't really get it.

So in conclusion, Red XIII > All. :shifty:

Yes, but VII, X and possibly IX (I can't really remember) are quite happy to have some kind of question for if you want the explanations, for example:

Barrett: "Could you teach me how to use Materia?"

Answer Yes: You get the tutorial for how to use Materia.

Answer No: Barret throws a quick hissy and just lets you get on with the game instead of explaining.

Where as VIII pretty much has Qustis say "YOU KNOW HOW DO THIS YEAH? NO YOU DONT? OK THEN GIVE ME 20 MINITUES TO EXPLAIN HERE..." As much as I love VIII, the first while kills me. >_>

Then again, I suppose if they never gave any explanation how to play the games in the first place, I'd be coming in here complaining about how I didn't know what to do the first time through. As a matter of fact, despite hundreds of times reading that bloody VIII tutorial on junctioning magic to stat attacks, I still don't really get it.

So in conclusion, Red XIII > All. :shifty:

You know you can exit the tutorials by pressing the Circle or Triangle (I can't remember right offhand, I usually mess around with the controls a little bit when I play) - as soon as the tutorial pops up, just mash the button.

I actually like playing through the start of VII its the Kalm flashback that really drains me and takes me about 3 attempts to get through.

Definitely. It's fun to go through the first time, and the second time once you know all the little things you can do (like finding Tifa's orthopedic underwear), but any time after, it just gets tiring.

I may consider buying a PS3 for versus XIII, as its being toted as the most dark and depressing FF yet. Which doesn't say much for my psyche, but I just feel this would make it an awesome story. Plus the fact the trailers look Badass.

And onto why I'm making this post in the first place.

Does anyone here play FFXI? If so, can they tell me if it ever gets good? Because I've read up on it and they say that after about 10 or so hours on it you'll be hooked. Ive notched up about 10 hours now, and while the game does have a sense of immersion, it also has a sense of "What the fuck am I meant to do?" And "Why the fuck is the very first quest I find only do-able in a group?" And "Really, what the fuck am I doing?". I really want to enjoy the game, but its just...not...fun so far.

I really do have to pick VIII up again after I spent half an hour getting the Zell card. I'm just too fucking lazy.

I really do have to pick VIII up again after I spent half an hour getting the Zell card. I'm just too fucking lazy.

Augh, that reminds me of when I tried to get Lion Heart on Disc 1. There's a guide on how to do it over on GameFAQs... it takes twenty damn Elnoyle cards to get the required amount of Pulse Ammo.

Benji, you will play VIII, because it was my first, my favourite, and you like me enough to listen to me.

Ruki, you traitor, I thought FFIX was your favourite :( Or was that Momo?

I do like you enough to listen to you, and luckilly I've got a save at Galbadia, meaning I'm past the fucking arduous intro/lessons, so it might be fun, may well start tomorrow.

It was Momo. Poor, forgettable Momo. :crying:

And play FFIX. We know the music is amazing, right? But just listening to the music is not enough. Play through and at the very least, get to Burmecia, and listen to the music, and the sound of the rain, and look at the ruin the city has fallen into, how depressing the scene is, and how well the music complements that.

That is one of the main reasons I love FFIX, and the use of an Organ doesn't hurt either.

I've managed to put 5 hours into VIII already and I'm only at the Secret Area. Fucking card game.

I'm at a pretty decent-sized impasse right now. I'm playing FFIV, and have a save about halfway through the Lunar Subterrane - I'm just above the level where every random encounter is a demiboss-fight with either a Behemoth, a Deathmask, or Zemus' Breath or Malice. I have to run away, at the very least, from the Deathmask fight. I didn't stick around long enough to know what the deal is with the Breath or Malice, but taking out a Behemoth is a boss-worthy task by itself.

Now, I was able to run away far enough to get to the final level, and begin the Zeromus boss fight. I did a pretty decent chunk of damage, but my entire party was put away with a single Big Bang. I'm wondering if it's worth it to continue on and try to find ways to minimize the damage, or just restart (considering in my game now, I have only the augments you get through the story, plus a few more like Level Lust or Item Lore. I didn't know much about how to use or get the Augments in this first play-through.) Are they really that big a deal?

I love Final Fantasy VI and the ability to choose what scenario to play next :wub:

Well here's a pisser for you... playing thru FFT for the zillionth time... got hung up trying to learn Ultima as I always do.

Roomie comes in, and although she hates FFT... loves X, XII.. came in and Beats Elmdor and the two Assassin broads and learns Ultima in like 5 minutes...!!

Now she's playing it thru with me always mentioning how easy this game is...

Edited by darkrayne

I decided to go on with my current game. I finally went through Lair of the Father (the Behemoths weren't so much strong as they were durable as fuck.) and got Bahamut (with only ONE Megaflare getting through. I did straight physicals with Kain and Cecil, Edge threw Shuriken after Shuriken, Rydia battered him with summons, and Rosa healed). I then healed, left, went back to Earth/Gaia/whatever, went to Baron, and got Odin (before he got off a single Zantetsuken - he raised his sword in preparation, and I had Kain Jump (since he's immune to any attack or heal spell, or buff/debuff while he's jumping) - but a few more attacks from Cecil, Edge, Rosa, and Rydia took him down.

I then went back to the Moon, and went inside the Subterrane - I ended up doing a little exploring and found an altar (much like the one I got the Holy Lance from, meaning a demiboss fight is up next) - and fought the White Dragon. I didn't realize that it absorbs Holy. I died. <_<

This bloody thread made me start playing a Final Fantasy game. Unfortunately for me the only one I had to hand was Final Fantasy VIII, I'm just up in the build up to trying to assassinate the Sorceress. I also appear to have lost disk three, which could hinder me actually completing the game.

This bloody thread made me start playing a Final Fantasy game. Unfortunately for me the only one I had to hand was Final Fantasy VIII, I'm just up in the build up to trying to assassinate the Sorceress. I also appear to have lost disk three, which could hinder me actually completing the game.

Aye, it will. Don't worry, I'll lend you disc 3 next Thursday. (Y)

I should be able to find it, its probably laying around somewhere. But if I can't find it, that would be cool. (Y)

Anyone else had a gander at the FFXIII demo footage yet? Looking pretty swish if I do say so myself.

Aye, it will. Don't worry, I'll lend you disc 3 next Thursday. (Y)

Woo, managed to disc 3, that Sorceress is going down.

Anyone else had a gander at the FFXIII demo footage yet? Looking pretty swish if I do say so myself.

It looks positively awesome, and theres a massive buzz going about news-sites on how good this game is actually going to be. Can't wait.

Versus XIII also looks amazing from the limited footage about.