The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Can you play against people from anywhere in the world or will I just be able to play other Europeans at the moment?

I've just added you guys who I know are from the UK for the time being.

I tried to play my mate online earlier on NBA 2K8 but strangely neither of us could see each other in the lobby. We theorised it may be because he bought his copy in the US and was therefore only seeing US players. How true that is I'm not entirely sure.

I played some European on my first ever game on Pro Evo earlier....Not enjoying the confusing online lag either.

Also, I gamely picked Tottenham, being a fan of teams with strengths and weaknesses and looking forward to a good fun game...

This guy (who turned out to be rather good) decided to pick......Barcelona.

I'm not gonna bother if I have to pick the top top teams to have a chance of winning....While I played the better football he could just run it into the box with Ronaldinho, Deco etc. No fun at all.

The lag can be annoying, but I dont find it to be bad at all when playing someone in the UK on Pro Evo. The playing as super teams can be annoying, thats why I tend to stick to people I know wont just pick Barca or Brazil.

Anyone else with Warhawk download the recent Omega Dawn booster thing?

For the $9 something it came to I'm rather unimpressed.

I both like and dislike the dropship. Only fiddled with it in a local game to see what it can do and how much it can take. It seems balanced but the issue is people have no seeming clue how to use it. It's either a floating death coffin or well, that's about it. People fly in, the main dropship flyer can effectively annihilate anything they go for, but it's a big floating target that can actually go down pretty easy. I've never been in one in an actual game, but just seeing what's happened with the few I've seen, it's a good idea but in the confines of the game and way people play it's not very effective.

My actual only problem with it is the fact that it can carry a jeep (or tank) with the flag carrier in it in CTF games. I single handedly recaptured all of the spawn points on Omega Dawn and as I was closing in on going for their flag I inexplicably look like and see our own flag being flown across the damn map, dropped and scored before I could even do anything, same with the rest of my team... thus began rather boring back and forth trading of flags in various games.

That all said, Omega Dawn is also too big, and doesn't have the same design aesthetic as the other maps that came with the game. It would be perfect with more people able to play but with a 32 player limit it's just too big and combat seems pretty infrequent as compared to the other maps. Also the patch increasing spawn time on official servers to 5 secs compared to 3 has really increased that, and diminished my enjoyment of the old maps.

All in all, decent for what it is but kind of pricey for its lack lustre quality.

I'm pretty certain I played Fifa 08 against some dude in England. I picked a pretty average team (can't remember who) guessing he'd pick someone similar. He picked Arsenal or Real Madrid and proceeded to kick my ass. Eh.

Accents I've recognised in Call Of Duty online play include English, Scottish, French, Australian, American and somewhere in the middle east (for added realism).

Maybe they all lived in the UK but I'm guessing you CAN play people around the world.

In Warhawk I've played against Americans too.

Added some of you last night but the way today is going, I wont want anything to do with football for a while. :(

I noticed that. I added 'Slydogg' before but your name actually has some numbers after it that aren't in your original post or in the list.