The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Whilst playing my PS3 recently (on Last Of Us) after about 20 minutes or so of gameplay the fans kick into overdrive. And I mean just about as loud as they can go. I tried putting my high velocity fan directly on the damn thing but they still won't slow down.. and the damndest thing is the system doesn't actually feel all that hot in the least. I have it in it's own slow - raised up on two soup cans (don't laugh, it worked after the first time but just started happening again) this is lame.

Whilst playing my PS3 recently (on Last Of Us) after about 20 minutes or so of gameplay the fans kick into overdrive. And I mean just about as loud as they can go. I tried putting my high velocity fan directly on the damn thing but they still won't slow down.. and the damndest thing is the system doesn't actually feel all that hot in the least. I have it in it's own slow - raised up on two soup cans (don't laugh, it worked after the first time but just started happening again) this is lame.

When was the last time you cleaned it? The vents accumulate dust quickly. I had a noise problem a couple months ago and after I cleared the dust out it's now library quiet.

Mine has that problem, it's old as fuck though. Like, the generation just after the first or something like that. I'm hoping they've figured out whatever the design flaw is that makes that happen for the PS4.

Yeah, mine did that for about four years regardless of cleaning etc, before packing in completely a few months ago. I'd even tried a last ditch service with a local computer shop, no good at all. Bear in mind its never got heavy use from me it might be a case of hoping for he best that it'll last til PS4, I've just bought a super slim to keep me going a few years, its amazing to finally hear the dialogue in Red Dead...

It did help slightly when I moved it from my tv cabinet to the floor, but that only meant ten minutes of quiet running rather than five, or if I was lucky I could watch a whole Bluray without subtitles!

Edited by Colly

Considering how my new iMac dos not make the slightest noise i somehow expect the PS4 to do the same (but consider that the imac cost twice as much for less power, so obviusly they had different options)

I think one of the biggest flaws with the fat ps3 was that they had the energy suply build in, thats always the source of much heat no matter what you play/watch.

I tried cleaning mine, but i did not want to open it and the vacuum cleaner did not seem to make much of a difference. I think i´ll just get a slim once it drops below 100€ and park the old one at my parrents place.

Oh, and if you google the issue you'll find loads of mentalists telling you to fire a hair dryer at it. This clearly isn't a good long term option, but it did allow me to get my old one running long enough to put some saves on a USB...