The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Out of interest, I just checked through my PS3 collection to see which games with a completable story I've actually completed.

Assassin's Creed

Assassin's Creed II

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Dishonored

Heavy Rain

Mass Effect 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Mirror's Edge

Remember Me

Tomb Raider

Uncharted

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

X-Com

The story-based games I've NOT completed are...

Afrika (The Japanese makes some of the later challenged confusing)

Batman: Arkham Asylum (Played a few times but never really got into it)

Biohazard 5 (Played quite a lot, just not finished it)

Bioshock (Always get a couple of hours in and run out of steam for some reason)

Bladestorm (Fancy playing that again soon actually)

Brink (Not as good as everyone hoped)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (I got to the underground levels but, to be honest, I didn't actually care for what was going on)

Dead Rising 2 (Fancy another burst on that too)

Deus Ex (Still playing it through from time to time)

Dragon Age (I nearly love it but not quite)

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (200+ hours back in the day means I got money's worth)

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (100+ hours means I got money's worth and I love to dip in every now and again)

Enslaved (Good game, need to finish it at some point)

Fallout 3 (Sank plenty of time into it but PS3 died and I lost save files)

Far Cry 2 (Enjoyed it but roaming bands of baddies got too common)

Grand Theft Auto 4 (I've completed the three PS2 games but some of these missions involved too much travelling)

Heavenly Sword (Can't get past the final boss fight which is annoying as I think the game is a masterpiece)

Hitman Absolution (Still playing it through from time to time)

L.A. Noire (Lost steam quite a way in. Should really finish it off)

RAGE (Doubt I'll ever play it much)

Red Dead Redemption (Got to near the end and decided I didn't care for it any more)

Tomb Raider Underworld (Some good levels but the series needed the revamp)

WET (Enjoy it, just never finished it)

Fortunately having worked in a video game store for the first year of PS3 and lived in a country that sells preowned games cheap, most of my unfinished games were bargain buys. If I decide to spend full price on a game I generally finish it or play it to death.

No, it is a Dynasty Warriors style game set during the 100 Years War between UK/France, iirc.

Correct. You find yourself in the midst of loads of battles going on. You run up to a friendly group of soldiers of various types and then lead them into a battle before dashing off to another battle and more glory. It's kinda fun actually but very much of the game genre.

Wherein the brave British held out alone against the dastardly French whilst the rest of the world sat with their thumbs up their collective arses.

Chris: By "completed" do you mean 100% or just the main storyline? Because with Skyrim... the main storyline really isn't spectacular. The civil war has a much more satisfying ending.

Main storyline. I couldn't care less about 100% on most things. That came to a head during Assassin's Creed (either 2 or Brotherhood) where I had finished the story and spent an hour collecting feathers and other such nonsense before realising that it was a waste of my life.

This shows in my severe lack of gold and platinum trophies as I rarely go out of my way to get a trophy that doesn't just come to me by completing levels or using a weapon enough or something. I might look at the trophies and try to get one if it's something like "do a double backflip and shoot someone while you're doing it", but I don't bother with collection trophies "collect all feathers for this silver trophy" or anything like that. I'm not someone who needs to complete such things. I get no thrill from it.

Ah, in that case, no need to rush back to Skyrim for the main questline. It's not a bad story, just not very climatic or satisfying.

Of course, I say that when I plan on tacking the main quest next time I pick up Skyrim, but that's only because you need to do the main quest to get two of the most useful Shouts in the game. Also Unrelenting Force.

I'd have the platinum for Skyrim if I'd bothered to reach level 50 and completed the Thieves Guild quest properly. As it stands, my PS3 was getting the horrible lag the Skyrim was getting famous for and I'd already played 100 hours. It's a shame, because if I ever pick it up again it'll be on the PC so I can enjoy the mods and so on.

I think the only other games I almost got there but didn't quite were Mass Effect 3 (I love the game and the multiplayer, but I have no desire to play through again on extreme and the Gold missions were really fucking hard.), Ni no Kuni (All that was left were the grindy bits. Collect every familiar, open every hidden chest, collect x amount of orbs, maximize familiar love, 250 alchemy items... all the crap you just didn't need to do.) and Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 (XIII-2 is easily doable and I think I might try for it on my next play through, it's all just the last half of post-game content I never got around to, whilst XIII is unlikely due to crap like holding every item.)

What you could do is hit 50 and if it gets too slow just erase everything then do the guild quest from a new character. That should get you the trophy needed right?

I sold Skyrim ages ago. Like I said, if I get it again, it'll be for PC rather than PS3.

Just finished Remember Me after a few busy weeks where I couldn't play it.

The story is great and there's some great far-out stuff as the game progresses. There's even a memory remix within a memory remix which is a cool touch.

There's some cheese in there of course but overall, as an interactive story (ignoring that it's not free roaming, sandboxy or whatever) I really really enjoyed it.

I suggest a rental or pick it up for cheap if you can hunt down a pre-owned copy or whatever.

Yeah, I borrowed it from work the other day, finished the first two episodes. The combat is horrible. I like the idea of combo customisation, but the combos play out like a slow motion Batman and it's incredibly frustrating not getting a combo done because you were too quick on the button. I am enjoying the story though, and the colour the journal entries add is very enjoyable too.