The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Played some Heavy Rain for the first time in ages. Trying to do a Killer Wins run because I haven't seen any of Ethan's bad endings yet.

Man I love the fight scenes. Especially Scott's first one.

I don't get why that's a meme. Unless the joke is how 2/3 of the time you shout, it sounds less "Father panicked because his 10-year-old son is lost in a crowded mall" and more "Father calling his son to let him know dinner is ready"

So, with my spur of the moment impulse pre-order of the PS4 (and quite possibly a TV tomorrow), I am trying to figure out which games to get at release.

Obviously, Watch Dogs. And the free racing game with PS+ (will get that in early November). But for the third, I am thinking Call Of Duty, Battlefield (never really got into the series before...but blowing up buildings seems awesome), or Knack.

It always sticks with me that you (Hammy) commented that he had to turn the game off and contemplate a certain decision in that game.

Yeah I remember that. It's funny because really it's only a game and decisions made really don't matter. I tend to be quite precious about the life of the person I play as in games anyway for whatever reason and tend to sneak around a bit and play it safe. However in Heavy Rain there were a couple of really big decisions I thought for the narrative. Yeah it's only a game and you can play through again, but you only play through for the first time ONCE and I played it like that.

God, Heavy Rain is a terrible game.

Yeah. It's a fucking horrible game.

Great story, but it's barely a game. Interactive story, sure.

That's pretty much it. If you're expecting a solid action game with great controls, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's much better to approach it as an interactive story. I'll admit that there are times when the plot neglects a degree of logic to move to the next scene, but the heat-of-the-moment decision-making, coupled with one of the best orchestral soundtracks in gaming history, make it very engaging.

I like the basic idea of it, honestly, but the fact that it contains like every stereotyped American scenario, poor voice acting (from some) and a scratch-your-head ending just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Creative, but very poorly executed.

I think it's one of the top five games of this generation. Much like hammy, there were times I had to stop and put the controller down and say "what just happened?" While my heart pounded away. Few other games have captured me like that.

Its a brilliant game.

When you wake up downstairs in the guy's basement and you realise what's going to happen my heart started hammering ridiculously. It was so tense and perfect with the doorbell going. First time through I blundered one of the actions and really thought I was done for but somehow managed to get through it. My wife was watching and she started squealing, really tense at the whole situation.

Again, far from poorly executed, no other game has grabbed me with that tension before. I could name another 15 moments but we'll agree to disagree.

• Like 4

I don't think it ever really interested me anywhere near that level. I didn't find anything about it particularly interesting, probably in part due to the fact I just felt bored by the gameplay most of the time. Awesome that you guys had that experience, but it didn't remotely translate to me.

When you wake up downstairs in the guy's basement and you realise what's going to happen my heart started hammering ridiculously. It was so tense and perfect with the doorbell going. First time through I blundered one of the actions and really thought I was done for but somehow managed to get through it. My wife was watching and she started squealing, really tense at the whole situation.

Again, far from poorly executed, no other game has grabbed me with that tension before. I could name another 15 moments but we'll agree to disagree.

For me, I think the most tense moments are the first, second, and fourth trials. That and Norman's fight with Mad Jack and the first time I played it and tried to figure out the killer as Norman (Madison died in that play-through at the moment you described) and pouring through all the data to figure it out and then you notice HOLY FUCK HIS EYES ARE BLEEDING.

But yeah, Madison's life-or-death scenes are also pretty intense, though IMO Madison's character is kind of weak and at times she seems to be outright fanservice-y. And it just seems like it'd be more interesting to play as Grace or possibly even Lauren. Plus I don't think Grace's occupation was ever mentioned so there's no reason she couldn't have been a journalist or something.

Also, the killer reveal is absolutely fucking brilliant and makes perfect sense when you really go back and think about it.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to it. I think it's second only to Watch Dogs in my wishlist for the rest of the year. What I love about Quantic Dreams is their desire to try new things and not just follow the norm. It fits with the kind of games I like, even if half of them are flawed.