The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I'm probably in a minority, but I found Heavy Rain's plot holes and silly B-movie set-pieces funny. I have a soft spot for unintentionally zany moments in video games, which is also why I like the original Resident Evil, despite not being a fan of its gameplay style at all.

I am not certain you are alone with that. I remember a lot of people bringing the "you hate everything" Matzat rage when i stoped being into heavy rain on my second playthrough (but at least some people switched their opinion with a longer delay than i had so, eh)... i am still sad to this day that they killed the dlc for move. The heavy rain DLC easily was the best part of this game because with just once scene you had a ton of different options to compleed it.

I read almost nothing about Beyond because we more or less know what we will get gameplay wise and why would i spoile much of the story beforehand? But i just glanced over some of the reviews - besides many calling the gameplay passive once again David Cages writing seems to be one of the main points of criticisem. Thats to bad, but we ll see.

Heavy Rain was one of the more memorable experiences I had this gen. My only gripe with it is it didn't have multiple killers depending on how you played... well, that and the rapey vibe.

• Like 1

Heavy Rain was a fantastic game that some people found boring. Has anyone here played Beyond that actually liked Heavy Rain? I'm put off by the reviews but I want a balanced opinion :(

• Like 1

I get what people liked about Heavy Rain, but as someone the prioritizes gameplay over story telling, it held literally no interest for me. I wouldn't class it as some kind of classic or amazing step forward, because I wouldn't really class it as much of a game at all.

Beyond looks fun. I've never really played any David Cage games - just watched other people play them - but I've always enjoyed them.

I get what people liked about Heavy Rain, but as someone the prioritizes gameplay over story telling, it held literally no interest for me. I wouldn't class it as some kind of classic or amazing step forward, because I wouldn't really class it as much of a game at all.

Did you like the Walking Dead game? Isnt that kinda the same thing?

Did you like the Walking Dead game? Isnt that kinda the same thing?

Walking Dead was the same deal for me, except I had some interest in the story of that one. I still didn't finish it myself, though. Got bored of the gameplay after the first episode and watched the rest from Mrs. TKz playing it. But I mean, outside of a few classics from my younger years, I've never been into Adventure games any way. But at least stuff like Space Quest and Day of the Tentacle was funny. The humor kept me interested in those, without that, the genre is just kind of boring to me.

It's a very much "to each his/her own" kind of deal, but those games weren't fun for me.

The gaming press hates change though... a new twist on the same old ideas is fine, but trying to drastically change what a video game can be is always met with resistance.

Most members of the gaming press were hyping Beyond for months, and Heavy Rain has a Metascore of 87. I know you're not a fan of numerical scores, and neither am I, but the fact that it was one of the highest scoring games of the year when it came out must count for something when we're talking about how the press looked at it, especially when coupled with the fact that it won several mainstream awards too. If anything, I was expecting the likes of IGN and Gametrailers to overlook most of Beyond's flaws, much like they've been known to do with other heavily anticipated games, but the almost unanimous complaints over similar issues indicates to me that this reaction is far from a steadfast resistance to change.