The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

How much space does the average game take? I kind of want to get one next month now PS+ has built up a nice collection, but I'm not sure what size memory to get.

4gb really isn't enough, unless you're going all physical. But with the amount of PS+ content out there... not to mention games like FF7 that're at least 1gb.

I'll probably pick up a 16gb somewhere down the line, but an 8gb might do the job if you don't want to splash out.

• Like 1

Don't even consider buying just a 16GB card as it is, you can usually get 16GB cards and 6-10 games for around the same price and it's always good to have a few of those games with you at all times.

I really want a 64GB card but there is no way I'm going to be able to justify dropping £60 on something when I can just rotate the games I don't play.

How much space does the average game take? I kind of want to get one next month now PS+ has built up a nice collection, but I'm not sure what size memory to get.

4gb really isn't enough, unless you're going all physical. But with the amount of PS+ content out there... not to mention games like FF7 that're at least 1gb.

I'll probably pick up a 16gb somewhere down the line, but an 8gb might do the job if you don't want to splash out.

I basically want a Final Fantasy machine plus space for a random couple of other games that I can rotate, so presumably 16gb wouldn't be enough? Think 32 would do?

Depends on how many Final Fantasies you want to be playing at any one time, if you got a 16GB card you could comfortably fit three Final Fantasies on it at any one time and have around 10GB left for whatever you want to put on it. Plus the game data is stored on a virtual PS1 memory card, so it SHOULD remain on the console if you delete the games. But I haven't yet tested this so don't hold me to this.

Plus, if you're buying a couple of games physically, you can just have one in the cartridge slot at any one time. You could effectively have FFVII, VIII, IX and X (and X-2) with you at any time.

I dunno, I think 16gb could do it. If you consider that FFX/X-2 HD is probably cheapest to get physical with X-2 as downloadable. X-2 is like 3gb. 7-9 is about 5gb all together. I think you could probably fit 1-6 quite comfortably with the remaining space. I'm not sure about IV as that's a remaster, but I doubt 1-5 will be any more than a few hundred meg at most.

Really, the only reason you'll ever need 32gb is if the Vita suddenly becomes a PS2 port machine. Which would be awesome, but I wouldn't count on it. Otherwise there's just nowhere near enough constant releases to justify needing that much size.

Beyond: Two Souls - more controlling my emotions excellently:

Just finished the homeless scene. It's pretty long in parts but it was good as it showed her at her lowest ebb (options for possible attempted suicide I'm guessing but I didn't try) and the different ways of taking money. I turned down the bloke offering $10 for sexual favours but played guitar. Her singing and playing guitar seemed like a natural focus point of the game and the story itself.

The "miracles" she performs for the homeless group were touching and the childbirth attached me to the mother and daughter....

....Which made it even more frightening when you wake up to the building on fire. That was really, really good emotional stuff. I was actually telling the game "Don't you DARE kill that kid, if I have a choice I'd rather my character died than that baby..."

So, to update. I'm really, really drawn into the story. I'm the target audience though. I'm quite happy just to wander around, pressing buttons just to climb through a hole in a fence and throwing snowballs. Playing as young Jodie is really really tuning in with me too seeing as how I've got a little daughter now. She's really adorable and whenever anything bad happens to her (including the teenage scenes) then I feel really distraught for her.

Anyone played two player yet? One as Jodie and one as Aiden?

Because Sony are greedy bastards.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the new Vita has built in memory, like pretty much everything else in 2014.

I got my vita, it was the assassins creed version. Same price as the normal, included 4gb. I then bought an 8 gb. That day, PS plus came to vita and I got 10 free games. So basically I paid nothing for it, and still keep getting free games.

You will have to show me where the greed is there.

To the original post, 64 gb is expensive, yeah. But I never use more than the 8 and 4 I have without just deleting and moving on.

I would suggest getting the 16, as was talked about before. You won't really need more than that. By the time you fill it up, you can just delete some and reload them on later since you bought them.

I would suggest loading your saves to the online storage, as when you delete they go too.

Greedy is introducing their own proprietary fucking memory cards across two different pieces of hardware, in a world where other mobile storage cards go for way less. You can get a 64gb microsd for around £30-40, a 32gb seems to be upwards of £60.

Free games via PS+ or not, when the memory card is like half as pricey as the system itself, that's pretty fucking expensive.

• Like 1

except ellis also knows that they introduced that card in order to limit a hacking cheat to copy games for free, and when inventing ANY new technology, the price of it compared to mass produced versions is, of course, higher.

Which is where the cost is coming from.

Honestly, it's not like they don't realize people talk about this being the one major disadvantage of the system. Don't you think there is a reason they aren't caving and dropping the price?

And the 16gb one, which is all you really need, like I said, is $40 bucks. Cheaper if you chop around. You don't require a card you will never fill.

Genuine answer? I don't know. The cost of putting in built in memory of the capacity needed may have been too much for them to be competitive.

Remember, the Vita was actually fairly close in price (at release) to the 3ds just before the 3ds dropped 80 bucks off it's tag. It could be that adding a built in memory would have driven the base price up too much for the casual observer. Better to pull a microsoft and say "here is your base. If you want to play high def movies, it'll be extra cost."

Of course, then the 3ds was bombing hard, they dropped 80 off and it skyrocketed. (Now it's got a really strong line up of games.) Which set a bad precedent for.. well.. everything since. People are actually demanding price drops 3 months after releases of a system, which is a little self entitled to me.

By that's a different story. I honestly think it was a matter of pricing of base cost to bypass it. But I am no hacker, I just remember the reason they did it.

The new Vitas have 1GB of internal storage, which should be enough for keeping a bunch of game saves as long as you're only buying physical copies of the games.

When I got my 1st gen Vita, I didn't even need a memory card in it to update the system software so there's probably a bit of extra storage only accessible by the system in both versions, too.

There for sure is. I wasn't running into the issue where "I have a 4GB game so I have enough with 5GB free? No? What? Oh.. right.. I guess I have to have 8GB free to handle the install file AND the game at the same time" that you used to get with the PS3.

So, MGS 5- Worth getting on PS3?

It's not even a full price title, is it? I think it's like $20 or something. May as well if you're a Metal Gear fan, I guess.

Also: the learning curve for the first Disgaea game seems a little steeper than D3. Or maybe I'm just really out of practice, since the last time I played a Disgaea game was two or three years ago. I'm up to Episode 3 and fighting Hoggmeiser in order to be able to pay Etna's Prinnies, and I keep getting my ass handed to me. Guess I need to go back and clear a few more maps to level everyone up.

Yeah, it's about $30-35. And it's very good, but also very short.

You have the main mission, which on a first run through, will probably last 2 hours. Then a bunch of side missions (kill two targets, rescue a prisoner via helicopter, meet an informant and get a tape, blow up all the AA guns, and one more I still have to unlock).

And then there is hard modes, a bunch of trials to do, and yeah. Pretty good for the $30.