The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I got Football Manager for Vita.

The writing's all tiny because it's basically PC on a Vita screen with touch so you need little fingers.

Having said that, once I was past the initial dizzying confusion, it's great. I'm just annoyed that I can't recall players from loan (well I've not been able to find out how yet) because I really want Holtby, Assou-Ekotto and Falque back.

Is Pro Evo 14 any good? I know it is on PS+, so fancying re-subscribing to have a bit of a look.

Theoretically it's great and feels a lot like football with regards to how the match flows.

However the players turn like oil tankers and there's sometimes a little delay in them turning or stopping. It's annoying and less like the instant brilliance of yesteryear.

Not wanting to spend my own money, I did buy Champion Jockey, but with the leftovers of a trade binge.

Fun game - I remember enjoying G-1 Jockey, and this is the same kinda thing.

I'm not very good at the technical aspects, though I still seem to win a fair few races. Means the horse training is a right bitch.

Ground Zeros needed like one more map with a bit of gameplay and it wouldn't have felt so quick. Decent, but I didn't really feel like I needed to play it to set up Phantom Pain. I was expecting way more set up... what it did set up could've been done in a quick cutscene at the start of the game.

I don't understand why we could have a short bit of gameplay on the base? If Snake was going to jump off and shoot some people, just let us PLAY that. Put Miller a little further down in the area, let us shoot our way through, show a bit more of the destruction. Could've really made it feel a bit more fleshed out. It would've seemed more like the Tanker mission that way, rather than just a demo.

I'm not really sure it did anything to get me more psyched for Phantom Pain. As it stands, I'm still a bit concerned over the open world. It's going to have to be on the level of variety in Red Dead to really feel worth it... I mean, all the games take place in one place outside of 4, so I guess as long as there's a fucking lot of places to access, it'll be fine. Still, concerning.

Is Pro Evo 14 any good? I know it is on PS+, so fancying re-subscribing to have a bit of a look.

I only played a bit of Be a Legend mode. It felt kinda silly when i got benched for three games after being the player with the best rateing of the match just played... switched my club 3 times in one year and now i finally get to play often in Argentinia of all places. That said i like it a lot more than FIFA, pretty much like in the old days it plays SO much better but the looks and license are clearly lacking.

Are there savegames you can download on and put on your PS3 via USB? With more leagues and real names?

Wow that Fight Night Champion... such a great idea, such a lackluster experience.

EA: "So you are saing you got this great Idea about not having 50 Boxers but just one? Thats great, we can save a lot of money by still only recording five lines about that Boxer that we repeat every fight and as a Boss fight we force the player to run away from the other Boxer for two rounds before we force him to attack with Powershots only against a guy that kills him with one Punch instead of coming up with fun ways to actually put a boxing movie storyline into a fighting game."

Random Gamedesigner "But other fights need some story to!"

EA "Why don´t you force a loos in one of those matches and ad a few more were the stipulations are you can´t punch left, up or down. Easy peasy! And if you need one more how about you just have a fight were one clinch takes all the players stamina and makes him ready to be knocked out?"

Random Gamedesigner "But thats very lazy! We could have so much fun with thi.."

EA "YOUR FIRED!!! - Now get us someone to write in a Prisson Bareknuckels Fight that we can already put in the game but will only be playebell if bought as DLC outside the Storymode!"

I don´t know why i fall for EA again and again. :(

Wow that Fight Night Champion... such a great idea, such a lackluster experience.

EA: "So you are saing you got this great Idea about not having 50 Boxers but just one? Thats great, we can save a lot of money by still only recording five lines about that Boxer that we repeat every fight and as a Boss fight we force the player to run away from the other Boxer for two rounds before we force him to attack with Powershots only against a guy that kills him with one Punch instead of coming up with fun ways to actually put a boxing movie storyline into a fighting game."

Random Gamedesigner "But other fights need some story to!"

EA "Why don´t you force a loos in one of those matches and ad a few more were the stipulations are you can´t punch left, up or down. Easy peasy! And if you need one more how about you just have a fight were one clinch takes all the players stamina and makes him ready to be knocked out?"

Random Gamedesigner "But thats very lazy! We could have so much fun with thi.."

EA "YOUR FIRED!!! - Now get us someone to write in a Prisson Bareknuckels Fight that we can already put in the game but will only be playebell if bought as DLC outside the Storymode!"

I don´t know why i fall for EA again and again. :(

I thought Fight Night Champion was fine. I enjoyed the storyline too except the final boss was way too hard for me.

It definitely doesn't fit into the 'EA are evil!' group of games.

My favourite thing about Fight Night Champion is the achievement that you get for being the Heavyweight Champion in the Online mode. Except I think there's like only a couple belts, if not only one. This apparently led to situations where people would auction off shots at the title for real money where they'd throw the fight in order to give people the achievement. At least, that's what I heard. Thinking about it, they'd then have to have that same person throw a return fight and I'm not sure you're always gonna have that trustworthy of a person involved.

EDIT: Actually, think this was Fight Night Round 4. Still, I find that amusing. :shifty:

There is some wacky "The world Champion is online right now" deal on Champion as well. No idea if it goes hand in hand with a Trophy.
After some reading on the interweb i managed to beat the guy. Most important info was that you cant block him anyway and are much faster when you keep your hands down in the 5-6 rounds you will spend running away from him. I might be able to do him on a harder level now that i figured that out, but why bother… you spend like 20 Minutes not really playing a boxing game when you fight him.
I agree that EA has don worse but still there is a ton of shit sticking on this. Apart from what i mentioned in the other post.

You can´t play this Downloadversion Offline. (this is rather big for me, if i had known i would not have bought) because every game mode is an extra unlock to buy and all of them get doublechecked online each time you start the game. - So if you´re conection craps out on you it´s bye bye game. I wonder how that will work out when they turn their servers offline for the game. (i bet all of you have gotten the standard mail they send when they shut down servers for old games) I hope by that point they will just patch into something less overprotective.

The normal Career Mode… have you played EA Sports MMA? It´s a fighting game by EA thats a year older than this. Lots of the same Ideas. Training Camps for a fight, leveling up your guy. Good stuff if don proper. Now in MMA you had minigames to Train your fighter that not only were doable but also were you able to just have your fighter Train automatically based your best rateing in the past so you don´t have to play the same Minigames 100 times „each“ in a 30 fight career.

Now what dos Fight Night Champion do a year later? Training games that are medicore at best, most even terrible with borderline stupide controls and you have to do them over and over and over and over and over again if you want to earn EXP to get your fighter to a higher skill level. (there also is automatic training but you get zero exp for it). - What solution dos EA offer you as a full price paying customer? Well, you can go to PSN and just BUY Experience Points like in all the terrible Free2Play games EA releases. Coincidence? And even for people that fall for it and go out to pay... if (and you know they will) they take the servers offline at some point...?

Stuff like that (just like having to pay for Bare Nuckels mode exhibition) is just this classic EA Fuck you they love to do towards their customers. I don´t even know what the last game by EA was that i was just ok/happy with.

I actually checked that out now. Seems like 2010 was the last strong year they had for me. ME2, Rock Band 3, EA MMA... the list on Wikipedia seems incomplete, so there might have been something i played and liked published by them later. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Electronic_Arts_games

Maybe Rock Band Blitz (2012), i never played it much but i never felled ripped of like i did for example when i got the The Sims 3 CE in 2009 and the game guid they advertised to come with was a 8 page flyer promoting the actual game guid.
I guess Harmonix always had the freedom to do great because in the end they were making them a ton of money with the gazillion Songs and all the plastic instruments. A shame Beatles Rock Band dident do better, would have loved to have seen an update to Rock Band 3 and the Keyboard.

In case you missed it. The US PSN has a big sale going on with a bunch of games at 99 cent.

Tokio Jungle, a bunch of TellTale Games (Back to the Future, Sam and Max, Jurassic Park) Retro city rampage and a ton more.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/18/ps-store-flash-sale-30-games-available-for-0-99-each/

Yes - although I think you'd need a US card to upload credit/funds, or a US PSN Card.

There are places that send you US codes via e-mail/web, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've done it before to pick up FPR and Persona 3.

Any other US exclusives worth getting on PSN? I've just nabbed Fire Pro Wrestling but can't believe it's taken me this long to create an alternate account considering how easy it was to add money.

EDIT: Oh my gosh there's loads of great games that we'll probably never see on the UK store. Katamari Damacy, Trapt, Chrono Trigger and Persona 2 spring to mind after just a brief glance through the classics section.