The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Yea, think it's been out in Japan for a while but only came to Europe/Americas the other week. Pretty sure it's PS3 only.

Actually, I neglected to point out the big problem with it which is just how slow it is to do just about anything. Since it's 'always online' and they've had some server issues upon launch, you'd think you could put it down to that but apparently it's just as slow in Japan where the server issues are long gone. Because it's built around a sort of rock-paper-scissors system with weapons/armour having different elements which are strong/weak to each other, it can be quite tedious to back out of the quest menu, load up the main menu, load up the character section, equip different items, wait for your selections to be saved, make your way back to the quests etc etc. But, if you can look past that then it's pretty neat for a freebie.

I can't be bothered to dedicate several gb's to downloading/installing 14 but I should investigate the old USB save thing on my copy of 09 that I bought purely to nick the case. 25p for a duff game seems cheaper than whatever ebay sellers charge.

Also, since I'm here, I had to laugh at the Drive Club on PS+ reveal. Sure, it's a stripped down version, that's to be expected. But you can pay like $50 to upgrade for the full version and if you do that, you're locked out of the game if your subscription lapses, despite the fact you've paid for it. Hoooorrible.

Drive Club is pretty much dead in the water anyway, it's only saving grace was being a PS4 launch title. Without that, I kind of doubt it get's any momentum, even without all the terrible business decisions they're apparently doing.

Also, since I'm here, I had to laugh at the Drive Club on PS+ reveal. Sure, it's a stripped down version, that's to be expected. But you can pay like $50 to upgrade for the full version and if you do that, you're locked out of the game if your subscription lapses, despite the fact you've paid for it. Hoooorrible.

I still don't even see the point of DriveClub. Sony owns Polyphony already, so unless they feel Gran Turismo is on its last legs, I can't fathom why they want this series in the first place. A cheaper stopgap between GT games? A lab to try out ideas for subsequent games? I dunno.

They have actually changed it now so if you upgrade, it's yours to keep.

Hurray for internet outrage saving the day once more!

I can't be bothered to dedicate several gb's to downloading/installing 14 but I should investigate the old USB save thing on my copy of 09 that I bought purely to nick the case. 25p for a duff game seems cheaper than whatever ebay sellers charge.

I really hate anything where you can't play it, even if you own it, because you're not online, or your subscription to something else has run out.

It happened to me with Empire: Total War. I bought the game, I paid for the game, but because I wasn't online one weekend, Steam wouldn't let me play it, despite me owning the physical copy and not playing any kind of online modes. How can this even be acceptable?!

All of the EWb are zombies and CM Punk marks. Only Matzat has sight beyond sight to see what the eveil corporations are up to and will be a martyr for the cause.

I got pretty annoyed with the Steam rules when I brought a game, got it early and it tried to unlock on Steam first, so I couldn't play it.

It's annoying, but honestly it's not that hard to get on Steam and set it to offline mode if you've no internet. I just tether my phone, set to offline, untether.