The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

So do you work for an independent games shop?

That's the dream, but no. I tried to open my own shop and came very close, but it didn't end up coming to fruition. There are no locally owned places where I live, but I am at a games-dedicated store, and it's a far cry from Walmart or Future Shop. Working for bigger retailers means better prices on product, but it's also meant being treated like garbage and contributing to a system I don't believe in. So while I would ideally like to work for myself or another locally owned shop, because they don't exist here, I choose to work and shop at specialty stores as much as I can.

You can only do so much realistically. All of my idealist friends hate that I work for a company, but they also don't have bills to pay or other mouths to feed. That's why I say my piece and don't judge. I believe that we should support local business more than other business, because it's better for the economy in the long run and I hate that big business keeps the lower class in poverty... but at the end of the day, it's about survival. I grew up and realized that you have to play the game to a certain extent. It is what it is. I always advocate supporting local business first and specialty shops second. I like the customer service and knowledge from employees at a specialty shop over the idea of having to seek out someone to grab an item for me that they have no clue about.

Again though, if your games-stores in the area aren't offering you any reason to choose them above something else, that's fine. I think it sucks, but if you want cheaper prices, I'm not going to tell you you're a horrible person for being money conscious. If you're getting bad service, I'm not going to tell you to support them anyways, because bad service deserves no customers.

I'm just saying, in a nutshell, if you enjoy something, you have to support it.

• Like 1

Insuring your game disc is $2 or $3 depending whether it's new or used, and there's no reason not to. I mean, if you get to the 10 or 11 month mark on your 1 year scratch replacement and the disc is still working, but it's a little scuffed up, bring it back and get a new one just in case. We can't play-test them. They just get sent back to be resurfaced and tested so they can be sold as used games anyways.

Sure there is, if you actually look after your disks then it's nothing more than an idiot tax. I genuinely can't understand how people can scratch disks up that badly in just one year.

I recently grabbed the Tritton Kama headset - works great and is 30 dollars and I don't have to worry about any of the problems that people with wireless headsets seem to have. It plugs into the controller only anyways so, no issues there. It's a bit uncomfortable on the ears after a while but it's not terribly bad.

It's called having children.

Either this or last generations issues of "someone moved my console when it was on" which I assume can still happen this generation. Or an unfortunate accident. It's seriously 2-3 dollars, and I put it on games I know I'll be keeping/playing loads of.

• Like 1

I've had two blu ray discs in pristine condition now that just won't work in my PS3 or blu ray player. One I had watched previously, the other I just opened. You never know when something is going to happen.

Not insuring discs is like the people who come into my work, buy a $600 phone from me, and are adamant they don't want to pay $10/month to insure it. Then they come back in 5 months later with a phone they dropped in water and have to drop another $600 on a replacement or settle for a cheap $150 piece of garbage.

• Like 1

Not insuring discs is like the people who come into my work, buy a $600 phone from me, and are adamant they don't want to pay $10/month to insure it. Then they come back in 5 months later with a phone they dropped in water and have to drop another $600 on a replacement or settle for a cheap $150 piece of garbage.

I wouldn't want to pay an additional third on the price of my phone over a two year contract. :/

^ This

I recently smashed my phone screen and everyone told me I should've insured my phone.

It'll cost me 130 euros to replace the screen, insuring my phone for 24 months would've cost me 288 euros. :/

ok but youll feel silly once you smash it twice more.

First time I damaged a phone in 13 years, I'll be alright.

EDIT: I haven't even replaced it yet, I've used my old phone, if I was gonna repair the screen, I could get a DIY kit for about 30 euros.

EDIT 2: I was going to say this shouldn't be in the Sony thread, but I have a Xperia so we can. :P

• Like 1