The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

RDR was an odd one. I was so in love with it, then the second I crossed the river I was done with it. It just somehow felt different.

The hours thing is weird. I really don't get it, I would much rather have 6-10 hours and for those to be immense than 40 hours where 32 of them are side mission type things anyway.

It's quite rare for me to complete games, the ones I do complete are invariably the ones that are on the shorter side, I then feel connected to them as I have heard the whole story, whereas most games get put on the pile once I decide I have played all the aspects of the game and I just have another 20 hours of doing the same crap to go.

It's a once a generation thing for me to actually get so into a game that I want to find everything and do everything. I mean I finished all the Uncharteds, but I collected only the treasures that I stumbled across and that was a short game. I can't imagine not only finishing a game like GTA IV but also doing every side mission.

Yeah I had the same feelings with AC: Brotherhood. I got a Plat in ACII, but couldn't bring myself to do it in Brotherhood. I'm hopefully going to start on Revelations this week. It's been sitting there untouched for too long.

I'm starting to reach the point where I look at the list of all the games I want to play and get intimidated. My free time is less than it has been, and is only going to be less and less as time goes on. I'm thankful for a game like Skyrim which is so immersive I don't need to touch anything else for awhile. Same for my replay of GTAIV, though decidedly less in-depth it still keeps me occupied. Then from time-to-time I go back to Persona 3 as I try and finish a replay of that and am reminded what I really want to play are old-school-style Japanese RPGs. That's the only genre of games I've done a solid job knocking out most of the top titles. There's only a few in existence in all honesty I haven't beaten.

But anyway, the problem with the long queue of games I want to play is that I look at it and immediately go "Well I'll never get around to it" and either don't even boot up the PS3 or go into one of the aforementioned titles that are great distractions and always have the feeling of something to do.

I think the last game, before Skyrim, that I genuinely wanted to do absolutely everything in the game was San Andreas. Spray some tags, collect some Oysters/Horseshoes, easy. I remember spending an entire day getting 99/100 tags only to spend an extra two tracking down the missing tag from my list >_>. I tried doing stuff like that on GTA IV but it wasn't really worth it so I just did the story and any associated side quests.

At least with Skyrim there is a reason to do everything; levelling up, so I sometimes wander around mountains and hills just collecting snowberries/thistle branches and spend quite a bit of time doing that. I do prefer games that can give me lots of different things to do, although the value of the main story is always what I opt for primarily.

Although I think it is fair, with today's price of games, to expect more than just a short story out of your new £40 game.

Fuck yes, Saints Row 2 just came out on Plus. Almost bought it but just didn't get round to it, always wanted to try it out though - I think I've given the first (maybe it was 2, not sure) a go before, and it didn't feel great. But it's mine now (for 3 months anyway), so looking forward to giving that a whirl. Anyone on Plus (UK) that hasn't played it already, get on it!

Yeah, I'd say if you were going to give Imposters a shot, stick to the PC version (especially with the Steam Sale going on through the weekend.) Controls are smoother and make a bit more sense with mouse/keyboard. Also, I believe it's to receive Steam Workshop support in the future.

I was planning to give it a go, but my slow connection put me off the idea of downloading large Beta files for the time being. I'll be interested to read the opinions of those who do play it, though.

It's eh. It's a Karting Game. You've played one you've played them all. I don't think anyone's missing out not having access.

Who uses Playstation Plus?

I'm tempted by it, just because there are several games I want to buy, but are available for free on it....

It's okay. Feels useless a lot of the time, but when it runs out you'll miss it. It'll be worth getting now/a month from now, because you'll start to get the benefits that usually come around when there's actually games coming out.

Speaking off, what the fuck is even coming out this year? Borderlands 2, Black Ops 2 and AC3... anything else?